The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ryan Giggs needs to learn that being a good footballer and a legend at your club doesn't automatically make you a good manager. Look at Alan Shearer, one of the best players of his generation but he was terrible at Newcastle.

He needs to join someone like in League 1/2 and work his way up, but you can understand why he's reluctant to. A manager at that level will be lucky to earn 80k a year, which is what he was earning in a week in his last season with us. He's probably been earning a similar wage as ASM. I know it isn't all about money but at the end of the day, anyone who says they'd voluntarily take a 90% wage cut to move jobs is lying.

With the amount of managers who get sacked in the Championship i'm sure there's a job there for him somewhere.
Original post by swirly
@Dirtybit thoughts on Rooney's distribution

Any regista would have similar statistics, can't be playing a chipped through ball to the centre-forward 50% of the time ffs
Kevin de Bruyne will win PFA Player of the Year next season

Quote me
Original post by zKlown
Kevin de Bruyne will win PFA Player of the Year next season

Quote me

Nah, Pep will get Aguero on anti-injury PEDs and he'll win it
Chelsea will do a mad ting tbh
Original post by Kenan and Kel
Nah, Pep will get Aguero on anti-injury PEDs and he'll win it

Considering he's the only world class outfield player in the entire league, i'm stunned he's never won POTY.

If he wasn't injured so much he'd have won at least 2.
Original post by swirly
:colonhash:

Me and Dirtybit pretty much agree Rooney isn't a good deep lying playmaker and pretty much only hits diags to fullbacks.

Can confirm Rooney is diag merchant now

Thoughts on Vardy rejecting Arsenal?
Original post by Dirtybit
Can confirm Rooney is diag merchant now

Thoughts on Vardy rejecting Arsenal?

Can see why he'd have his reasons his tbh

Spoiler

Vardy knows whats what.
Original post by sr90
Ryan Giggs needs to learn that being a good footballer and a legend at your club doesn't automatically make you a good manager. Look at Alan Shearer, one of the best players of his generation but he was terrible at Newcastle.

He needs to join someone like in League 1/2 and work his way up, but you can understand why he's reluctant to. A manager at that level will be lucky to earn 80k a year, which is what he was earning in a week in his last season with us. He's probably been earning a similar wage as ASM. I know it isn't all about money but at the end of the day, anyone who says they'd voluntarily take a 90% wage cut to move jobs is lying.

With the amount of managers who get sacked in the Championship i'm sure there's a job there for him somewhere.

Looks like he is off to Forest http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/ryan-giggs-set-shock-nottingham-8235367
Was not ready for the kid's accent at the end

Original post by sr90
Considering he's the only world class outfield player in the entire league, i'm stunned he's never won POTY.

If he wasn't injured so much he'd have won at least 2.

Costa, Kane, Alderweireld, Ozil, Sanchez, Hazard + Fabregas (when they can be bothered)

If Bellerin, Kante, Mahrez and Payet maintain the same form next season, they'd be included too.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Diego Costa
Costa, Kane, Alderweireld, Ozil, Sanchez, Hazard + Fabregas (when they can be bothered)

If Bellerin, Kante, Mahrez and Payet maintain the same form next season, they'd be included too.

None of them are world class.

None of them would be first choice in a world 11 or even picked in a world 18.
Original post by The Rusty Spork
None of them are world class.

None of them would be first choice in a world 11 or even picked in a world 18.

Aguero wouldn't be picked in a world 11 or 18 either. Suarez, Lewandowski, Muller, Messi, Neymar, Benzema, Griezmann, Higuain, Ronaldo and Costa (August 2013 - January 2015) would stop him.
(edited 7 years ago)
Aguero wouldn't be picked in a world 11 or 18 either. Suarez, Lewandowski, Muller, Messi, Neymar, Benzema, Griezmann, Higuain, Ronaldo and Costa (August 2013 - January 2015) would stop him.

Agreed, so no world class players in the premier league :dontknow:
Agreed, so no world class players in the premier league :dontknow:

My point as that if Aguero was the barometer of world class, those players had to be included. I've always had people who are in the top 30-50 as world class.
My point as that if Aguero was the barometer of world class, those players had to be included. I've always had people who are in the top 30-50 as world class.

Costa is not and never has been world class unless using the widest Barometer possible. He had a very good two years and didn't do much before it and nothing after it.

Aguero at his peak has far outstripped Costa's peak and despite them both having injuries, Aguero has been far more consistent over a longer period.

Out of the players you mentioned originally, only Hazard has hit the same heights as Aguero, with maybe Sanchez as well.

I'd say that the top 30-50 is too wide a range personally, you end up stretching for some players who are on form/flavour of the month, rather than consistent world class players.
(edited 7 years ago)
Costa is not and never has been world class unless using the widest Barometer possible. He had a very good two years and didn't do much before it and nothing after it.

Aguero at his peak has far outstripped Costa's peak and despite them both having injuries, Aguero has been far more consistent over a longer period.

Out of the players you mentioned originally, only Hazard has hit the same heights as Aguero, with maybe Sanchez as well.

I'd say that the top 30-50 is too wide a range personally, you end up stretching for some players who are on form/flavour of the month, rather than consistent world class players.

Costa had been playing very well since at Vallecano (maybe not world class, but he'd shown potential). He's also never really had the luxury of playing at an attacking side the level of Man City. His form came under the two most defensive top managers in the world, I'd further argue that 18 months of being the best striker in the world is enough to constitute world class.

Top 30-50 isn't too bad imo. All the players I listed had performed at a very high level for at least two seasons. I still think Ozil in the first part of this season or Hazard of 14/15 could crack a world 18. I can't think of any no. 10's better than them.
Top 50 is too much for world class. Top 35 at a stretch I'm thinking.
Would class Ozil and Hazard as world class.

De Gea
Aguero
Ozil
Hazard
Koscienly deserves a nod.

Could debate whether Sanchez and Courtois make that list.

Latest