The Student Room Group

Offered a job but want to accept another better offer?

I'm 17, nearly finished my first year in college. I have been offered a seasonal job with asda and start my induction on Tuesday. I had an interview the day before I was offered a position with asda. I've been reading up about seasonal positions at asda and People are saying that you only work in holidays (obviously, I know it's in the title) at summer, Christmas, and Easter etc. But not part time whilst at college once I start the second year.

I need to work part time permanently since I am nearing completion if my driving lessons and have a test booked next month. I will be getting a car very soon after I pass (if I pass) and need a permanent position to be able to pay my insurance and other car expenses. The other company which is much smaller and offers 16 hours a week, said I should hear from them by the beginning of next week. My induction at asda is on Tuesday and I want to know if I will be able to leave even after my first day or two at asda.

As of yet, I have only been offered the job and not signed anything or provided any documents to asda other than proof of right to work.

Obviously the second job, should I be successful, will allow me to pay my car insurance and I would prefer it there so I'm really stuck here guys.
If you have worked for someone for less than a month, you don't legally have to provide any notice, but obviously it's good manners though to give 1 weeks notice before leaving.

I was in a similar situation with two job offers on the table but unsure which to choose. I would say wait out for the 2nd job. If they can offer you more hours with more stability it's best of both worlds.

Seasonal work doesn't sound very good especially as you'll need a consistent wage to pay your insurance and fuel if you pass. How do you currently pay for your driving lessons and test? Parents?
Reply 2
Original post by CTLevers
If you have worked for someone for less than a month, you don't legally have to provide any notice, but obviously it's good manners though to give 1 weeks notice before leaving.

I was in a similar situation with two job offers on the table but unsure which to choose. I would say wait out for the 2nd job. If they can offer you more hours with more stability it's best of both worlds.

Seasonal work doesn't sound very good especially as you'll need a consistent wage to pay your insurance and fuel if you pass. How do you currently pay for your driving lessons and test? Parents?

I work at my dads business for about 4 or 5 hours a week, enough to cover the costs of my lessons but I need to look for a proper job that will have plenty more hours.
Original post by Mattinfenwa
I work at my dads business for about 4 or 5 hours a week, enough to cover the costs of my lessons but I need to look for a proper job that will have plenty more hours.

No chance of getting some more hours with your dad in the interim between definitely securing the job at this place offering 16 hours pw?
Reply 4
Keep the ASDA job, until you get a guarantee of the 2nd job, then quit. Though it may be possible for you to juggle both over summer.
Reply 5
Original post by CTLevers
No chance of getting some more hours with your dad in the interim between definitely securing the job at this place offering 16 hours pw?

Tbh, he only gave me the job as I was struggling to get one since last year, I don't get many hours because I don't think he can afford it to give me more. Plus I'd rather stop working for my dad since he doesn't actually need anyone else there.
Original post by donte
Keep the ASDA job, until you get a guarantee of the 2nd job, then quit. Though it may be possible for you to juggle both over summer.

I agree.
Your asda induction isnt until tuesday, so hold out and see if you hear anything monday about the other job. If you get it, then you can quit asda. You wont have even done the induction, let alone your first shift, so it shouldnt be too much of a problem.
Is there any way of doing the 2 jobs? The asda one will only be in the holidays anyway, so it shouldnt affect college work.
I'm 17, nearly finished my first year in college. I have been offered a seasonal job with asda and start my induction on Tuesday. I had an interview the day before I was offered a position with asda. I've been reading up about seasonal positions at asda and People are saying that you only work in holidays (obviously, I know it's in the title) at summer, Christmas, and Easter etc. But not part time whilst at college once I start the second year.

I need to work part time permanently since I am nearing completion if my driving lessons and have a test booked next month. I will be getting a car very soon after I pass (if I pass) and need a permanent position to be able to pay my insurance and other car expenses. The other company which is much smaller and offers 16 hours a week, said I should hear from them by the beginning of next week. My induction at asda is on Tuesday and I want to know if I will be able to leave even after my first day or two at asda.

As of yet, I have only been offered the job and not signed anything or provided any documents to asda other than proof of right to work.

Obviously the second job, should I be successful, will allow me to pay my car insurance and I would prefer it there so I'm really stuck here guys.

Hey, could u tell me how to apply to a retail like Asda or sports direct. I am currently working on my cv, can I go to the shops and hand them in my cv?

Plz could u help, I'm keen to get a place before July ..
Original post by Emma:-)
I agree.
Your asda induction isnt until tuesday, so hold out and see if you hear anything monday about the other job. If you get it, then you can quit asda. You wont have even done the induction, let alone your first shift, so it shouldnt be too much of a problem.
Is there any way of doing the 2 jobs? The asda one will only be in the holidays anyway, so it shouldnt affect college work.

Hey, could u tell me how to apply to a retail like Asda or sports direct. I am currently working on my cv, can I go to the shops and hand them in my cv?Plz could u help, I'm keen to get a place before July ..
Reply 9
I agree.

The other job will have fixed times but the Asda job will vary completely so I don't want to take both as they might clash easily.
Original post by ARK_REVISES
Hey, could u tell me how to apply to a retail like Asda or sports direct. I am currently working on my cv, can I go to the shops and hand them in my cv?Plz could u help, I'm keen to get a place before July ..

I just went on their websites and checked if there was any jobs going near me and there was so I applied. I think it's always best to apply online unless an advert for a job states otherwise. And it's funny you mentioned Sports Direct as I had to cancel an interview with them that scheduled tomorrow. With Asda you don't actually need a CV, just fill out a profile on tpyourminline application (at least that's all I did) and with sports direct I think you can get away with heading it in store since in their website in only says to submit a CV and cover letter. Hope I helped a bit.
I just went on their websites and checked if there was any jobs going near me and there was so I applied. I think it's always best to apply online unless an advert for a job states otherwise. And it's funny you mentioned Sports Direct as I had to cancel an interview with them that scheduled tomorrow. With Asda you don't actually need a CV, just fill out a profile on tpyourminline application (at least that's all I did) and with sports direct I think you can get away with heading it in store since in their website in only says to submit a CV and cover letter. Hope I helped a bit.

I'm just 16 but i might be wrong. One of my mates say you need to do a lot of physical work at ASDA. Is he right?
I'm just 16 but i might be wrong. One of my mates say you need to do a lot of physical work at ASDA. Is he right?

Depends what you do. Shelf replenishing roles require physical work but their not very strenuous however they are very tedious. Luckily I had an offer from the other company today, and will be letting Asda know asap that I won't be working there.
Depends what you do. Shelf replenishing roles require physical work but their not very strenuous however they are very tedious. Luckily I had an offer from the other company today, and will be letting Asda know asap that I won't be working there.

Do u just go to them and hand in your cv or have you done it online?
(edited 7 years ago)
I mean, as others have said you should go and take the Asda job and give a week's notice (or whatever is stated in your contract) should the second job come off.

Incidentally, I don't see why you couldn't build up cash over summer/easter and use that to pay your car insurance? No reason it needs to be a constant feed if you budget correctly.

I know certain places like asda, mcdonalds etc require you to apply online. But quite a few places also accept CV's. Its worth going in and handing your CV's in to anywhere that will accept it.
The other job will have fixed times but the Asda job will vary completely so I don't want to take both as they might clash easily.

Fair enough.
I know certain places like asda, mcdonalds etc require you to apply online. But quite a few places also accept CV's. Its worth going in and handing your CV's in to anywhere that will accept it.

Tnx
Reply 18

I've worked for Asda on a seasonal contract for nearly 3 years. It's suited me as I have another job so I just top up my hours at Asda if I need to, and staff discount (10% off everything, sometimes 20%) makes it worth it. How many hours they will offer you depends store to store and how sales go - for my store sales directly determines the hour budget. Also things like staff sickness and holiday can determine if you are offered hours. I know lots of people who negotiated pretty much permanent shifts for months whilst on a zero hours contract. If it was me, I wouldn't leave Asda and have it on the back burner in case you need extra hours - which is what I did throughout my entire degree. You only have to do like 5 shifts (or something like that) across the entire year to fulfil your end of the contract, and from my experience if you say you can't come in they won't bug you or take offence by not giving you hours when you next ask. Any it's pretty good on your CV because you don't need to tell them how few hours you worked and it's continuous employment. Plus if you ever moved away or ended up going to uni etc they can transfer you to another store which might be a good starting up part time job. X
Reply 19
Original post by egarna
I've worked for Asda on a seasonal contract for nearly 3 years. It's suited me as I have another job so I just top up my hours at Asda if I need to, and staff discount (10% off everything, sometimes 20%) makes it worth it. How many hours they will offer you depends store to store and how sales go - for my store sales directly determines the hour budget. Also things like staff sickness and holiday can determine if you are offered hours. I know lots of people who negotiated pretty much permanent shifts for months whilst on a zero hours contract. If it was me, I wouldn't leave Asda and have it on the back burner in case you need extra hours - which is what I did throughout my entire degree. You only have to do like 5 shifts (or something like that) across the entire year to fulfil your end of the contract, and from my experience if you say you can't come in they won't bug you or take offence by not giving you hours when you next ask. Any it's pretty good on your CV because you don't need to tell them how few hours you worked and it's continuous employment. Plus if you ever moved away or ended up going to uni etc they can transfer you to another store which might be a good starting up part time job. X

hiya, how much do asda pay? im 19 and have one of those magic sessions on thursday but asda dont state anywhere how much they pay, thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending