The Student Room Group

Which exam boards do you like/dislike/hate?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ExamsAreOver
What?! Did they incorrectly mark it or was your teacher wrong?

Three teachers for that subject agreed it was a top band answer. We'd already had it remarked and the mark had remained exactly the same. The same thing had happened with all the other A-grade students in the class, but the less capable students had come out with As.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
Three teachers for that subject agreed it was a top band answer. We'd already had it remarked and the mark had remained exactly the same. The same thing had happened with all the other A-grade students in the class, but the less capable students had come out with As.

The problem with Edexcel is that it's the only exam board run by a profit organization. They want papers to be remarked, because they want money. However, I'll stick with what I know personally, and that is that it is easier. Just did my IGCSE's, I think I did pretty well, not looking forward to getting an E though.
Original post by sulaimanali
Thoughts and reasons?

when I was at school I hated Ed Excel their slogan freaked me out as I wasn't expected to do well at GCSE but I'm graduate now so it wasn't the end or the world but at the time
Love OCR MEI

Hate AQA
Original post by sulaimanali
Thoughts and reasons?

I hate AQA - mainly after my science exams went to sh*t and I feel like they diverge from the spec 90% of the time, also french listening was so hard wtaf, they were trying to be hip with questions about selfies (subjects I do with AQA: Sciences, media studies, french)

Edexcel are alright, I quite like the layout of their exams, don't like their specs though which pretty much useless for my subjects but overall I feel like they're okay (subjects: english, geography, RE, maths)

OCR are pretty good! I used to hate them but my ICT exams were so easy, just common sense :smile: However, their mark schemes are kinda weird and specific.
Keep it coming...I knew this thread would become popular!! :biggrin:

Interesting reasons everyone...
Reply 26
AQA-Love them sometimes(Look at the easy chemistry papers)..Plus lovely layout/website.But a con is look at the weird questions they ask(B1 etc)

Edexcel-2016's been a good year for Edexcel.Fair exams tbh.I hate their R.E grade boundaries too high lol
Yeah thats because its gcse's edexcel a level mark scheme is ********.
Edexcel:
-Maths and RS paper was good
-They need to proofread though

AQA:
-Likes? Absolutely nothing but that P1 paper was nice!
-Dislikes? the human geography paper and the p2 p3 and basically everything else controlled assessment to

OCR:
-Likes? the c1-3 and b4-6 was nice
Dislikes? Section D, not being given an ions sheet, the B1-3 paper
Reply 29
OCR's website is the most frustrating thing I've ever had to encounter, so I hate them :tongue: I think AQA's the best as it has the most online resources and it's website is actually usable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sweetiemelx
Yeah thats because its gcse's edexcel a level mark scheme is ********.

gcse edexcel a level? the hell is that?
Mixed views...so far, definitely WJEC isn't in favour..followed by OCR. Edexcel is sort of tyeing wth AQA.
WJEC
Edexcel and AQA are good ( well i think)
Original post by nisha.sri
WJEC
Edexcel and AQA are good ( well i think)

Lool..I've had less problems/complaints with Edexcel than AQA, could be because I do only 3 Edexcel subjects and 6 AQA subjects.
AQA is best, OCR second, Edexel last!
Like OCR, they do their subjects justice, though they can be harder, also they are run by Oxbridge so they sort of know their stuff.

I f**king despise Edexcel, they completely butcher Physics with their ridiculously stupid questions, not to mention they have such a childish layout. They also are a bloody for profit corporation that makes money bleeding schools dry with their exam fees, and then register as a charity to avoid tax, bastards!

AQA is alright.
Dislike Edexcel for science, AQA seems alot easier and with edexcel I feel the spec is just really random? I do all 9 units and I find some bits are information are placed in topics where they don't seem to link so it's harder to remember random pieces of information that have no relevance or linkage
hate ocr purely because of the fsmq 2016 paper
also their questions are always ambiguous with specific mark schemes (especially in sciences)
I don't have any on AQA, so I have no idea about them. Edecxel are ok imo, but OCR science is just awful. Their questions are so weirdly worded. I hate WJEC with a burning passion, their English course was dreadful from start to finish- weird questions which screwed everyone over on both language and literature. Tbh I don't know why my school uses them, were literally nowhere near Wales. Though the school is changing to AQA for science and English as of next year, so they've clearly had enough.
Like CCEA for all subjects because their exams are well structured and you can do modules. The exams are always fair (unlike AQA) and grade boundaries are not too high. Best exam board for Science, Geography and Business Studies

Quick Reply

Latest