The Student Room Group

good enough for cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Platopus
Ask not whether you are good enough for Cambridge, but whether Cambridge is good enough for you. It breaks my heart to see people judging their "value" by whether a certain university would offer them a place. You are good enough, full stop.

Considering cambridge maths is probably the most advanced maths undergrad in the country and the part III is one of the best undergrad/graduate taught maths courses for preparing a student for a maths/theoretical physics phd research on the planet, yes cambridge is good enough aha
Original post by madmadmax321
Considering cambridge maths is probably the most advanced maths undergrad in the country and the part III is one of the best undergrad/graduate taught maths courses for preparing a student for a maths/theoretical physics phd research on the planet, yes cambridge is good enough aha

Sigh. I think you missed my point :frown: this is exactly what makes me sad
Reply 22

Reply 23
Ask not whether you are good enough for Cambridge, but whether Cambridge is good enough for you. It breaks my heart to see people judging their "value" by whether a certain university would offer them a place. You are good enough, full stop.

I love this reply!
Sigh. I think you missed my point :frown: this is exactly what makes me sad

Perhaps but maybe its because I was referring to your first sentence only. I dont think people should be judged by which uni they go to, they should be judged by how they are as a person and (if we are talking about academics) how good they are at their subject
Reply 25
Perhaps but maybe its because I was referring to your first sentence only. I dont think people should be judged by which uni they go to, they should be judged by how they are as a person and (if we are talking about academics) how good they are at their subject

You do realise that everything is not just about academics, right...? By "Cambridge is not good enough for you" it could just mean that the style of teaching or the collegiate structure or supervisions do not work well with you and make you uncomfortable, that you prefer a more modern environment, etc...
Original post by Zacken
You do realise that everything is not just about academics, right...? By "Cambridge is not good enough for you" it could just mean that the style of teaching or the collegiate structure or supervisions do not work well with you and make you uncomfortable, that you prefer a more modern environment, etc...

if you dont mean supervisions then how does the style of teaching vary?
As for supervisions every uni I applied to boosted supervision style learning for their first year at least, so it may be hard to escape that downside (though I am aware this may be because I only have the experience of 1 subject but I did not specifically chose ones that offered supervisions I only was made aware of them at open days)

academics matter a lot in maths though, more so than other subjects :smile:
Original post by Zacken

Prsom

Prsom = Please rate some other member

That's what TSR says if you try to like 2 of the same person's posts too close together
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by UDZ
OP wasn't asking whether they are good enough for Cambridge, they were asking if their score was good enough for Cambridge... :colonhash:

Maybe you should work on your comprehension skills, and reread the post.

Ouch... You are polite aren't you?
Reply 31
Ouch... You are polite aren't you?

I don't care whether I am polite or not, I care about people getting misinformed from an error in judgement.
Original post by UDZ
I don't care whether I am polite or not, I care about people getting misinformed from an error in judgement.

What would your mother say?
Reply 33
What would your mother say?

I have no idea.
So are my ums high enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by phoebeisgreat
So are my ums high enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your average UMS is 94.5% and as a general rule, anyone with over 90% has a good chance so yes, your UMS are high enough
It depends. If you're looking to study Classics they won't get you in :smile:
Reply 37
Original post by UDZ
OP wasn't asking whether they are good enough for Cambridge, they were asking if their score was good enough for Cambridge... :colonhash:

Maybe you should work on your comprehension skills, and reread the post.

So what if the OP wasn't asking whether they were good enough or not? She provided tangentially related advice, did she, at any point state that the OP was asking whether they were good enough or not?
Reply 38
Original post by james813
It depends. If you're looking to study Classics they won't get you in :smile:

Which bit about "good enough for maths at Cambridge?" did you not understand? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest