The Student Room Group

A level choices for economics/chemistry

I've chosen Maths, Chemistry, Economics and English Literature for A levels so that I have a wider option for what I want to study at University.

I'd either do BSc Economics or maybe even BSc Chemistry instead (In case I change my mind as I enjoy these two subjects the most).

Are my A level choices suitable for Economics at top Universities like LSE/King's and are my A level choices suitable for Chemistry at top Universities like Imperial/UCL?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ter094
I've chosen Maths, Chemistry, Economics and English Literature for A levels so that I have a wider option for what I want to study at University.

I'd either do BSc Economics or maybe even BSc Chemistry instead (In case I change my mind as I enjoy these two subjects the most).

Are my A level choices suitable for Economics at top Universities like LSE/King's and are my A level choices suitable for Chemistry at top Universities like Imperial/UCL?

Your lack of Further Maths will be a big handicap to getting into LSE: http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/DegreeProgrammes2017/economics/L101_BSc_Econ.aspx
Reply 2
How about BSc Chemistry?
Reply 3
Original post by ter094
How about BSc Chemistry?

Check the entry requirements for each of the universities you are considering. The info is all there...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Well Imperial says I need Maths, Chemistry and one from: Biology, Physics or Economics. Will I be at a disadvantage because English Literature is not approved by the department? And what are my chances of competing against someone who does Maths, Chemistry, Economics and Physics?
Its hard to keep your options open for these two subjects - for a chemistry degree at a top university, they you would likely be disadvantaged by not having another science at a level. For economics on the other hand, especially at Cambridge/LSE/UCL/Warwick, further maths would be highly beneficial. Although a level economics isn't essential for an economics degree, if your school offers it as a subject you may leave admissions tutors wondering why you passed up on the opportunity to study it at a level, but then want to read it at university.

So by doing maths, further maths, physics and chemistry you would be in a great position to do chemistry at a top university (depending on your grades ofc), and would be in a good but not ideal position for economics.
Alternatively, maths, further maths, chemistry and economics would certainly be good for economics, but i'm not sure if that would suit chemistry (not qualified to say)
If you are prepared to do 5 then you could do maths, fm, chem, phys, econ, which would be ideal for both subjects.
Reply 6
Original post by ter094
Well Imperial says I need Maths, Chemistry and one from: Biology, Physics or Economics. Will I be at a disadvantage because English Literature is not approved by the department? And what are my chances of competing against someone who does Maths, Chemistry, Economics and Physics?

If you are meeting the requirements you are competitive.

The 4th A-level is not important, and consider carefully if taking it will reduce your chances of getting top grades in the other 3. If so, you may need to think about dropping it.

A*A*A is better than A*AAA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I've read that some Universities prefer candidates with an essay-based subject such as English Literature so would it not be beneficial to have this subject to improve my chances of getting into Economics? Basically what I'm asking is, would it be better to do Maths, Chemistry and Economics at A2 for Economics/Chemistry or would it be better to have English Literature at A2 too? I'm worried that the Chemistry Admissions officer would see me as less suitable to do Chemistry since my subjects are too broad and not focused on the sciences.
Reply 8
Original post by ter094
I've read that some Universities prefer candidates with an essay-based subject such as English Literature so would it not be beneficial to have this subject to improve my chances of getting into Economics? Basically what I'm asking is, would it be better to do Maths, Chemistry and Economics at A2 for Economics/Chemistry or would it be better to have English Literature at A2 too? I'm worried that the Chemistry Admissions officer would see me as less suitable to do Chemistry since my subjects are too broad and not focused on the sciences.

For Economics, your Economics A-level is sufficient as an essay subject. Although @ageshallnot has also highlighted that you don't have FM which would be useful for Economics particularly at some universities.

For Chemistry, your Maths & Chem A-levels are normally sufficient. And if your preferred university states that Economics is good as a 3rd A-level then you don't have a problem.

There's no tricks with university admissions. They (usually!) don't hide requirements between the lines or round the back of the office. If you meet the stated requirements then you will be competitive.

Your real issue is you don't yet know if you want to do Chemistry OR Economics. You will need to make that decision soon...

Quick Reply

Latest