The Student Room Group

Official AQA A2 Law June 2016 Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, just wondering how you guys are going to go about doing revision over the next couple of days considering Unit 4 is only a few days after unit 3.

I'm thinking of not revising fault and instead just doing Law and Morality and Judicial Creativity... Do you think either of these will come up?

I also think I will leave out the homicide essay for unit 3...

How risky would this be?
Its always risky to leave out things, especially in law but I would say that if you were going to revise any topics for unit 4 it law and morals and Judicial creativity and as for unit 3 its almost certain that homicide essay wont come up as aqa haven't repeated themselves. However, that extactly what i said for my CCEA histroy and the essay that came up last year came up this year, which go figure i didn't revise for.
we've never been told to explain the cases in our answers but only use them as a guideline when talking about a specific element i.e -in gross negligence manslaughter: the breach must be 'so bad' in all the circumstances as show such a disregard for the life and safety of antoher by creating an obvious risk of death (Adamako) - we just use brackets when embeddng a case in.

Do you need to elaborate on the facts of the case?
Does anyone have reforms for murder/voluntary manslaughter and intoxication for the evaluation questions? I can't find any anywhere!
Reply 104
Has insanity ever come up in the scenarios?
Reply 105
Original post by JPFM
Has insanity ever come up in the scenarios?

Yes- but not much... Intoxication seems to appear every year though!
Reply 106
Does anyone know how many marks you need for an A in law?
Intoxication came up last year and the year before, so it may not come up this year - so what do defence do you think will come up because I doubt intoxication will come up again! Please help! I don't any defences other than intoxication but it looks like it won't come up again
Original post by Boffin0121
Intoxication came up last year and the year before, so it may not come up this year - so what do defence do you think will come up because I doubt intoxication will come up again! Please help! I don't any defences other than intoxication but it looks like it won't come up again

Intoxication probably comes up a lot as some people find it the most tricky defence
Original post by OrdinaryStudent
Intoxication probably comes up a lot as some people find it the most tricky defence

There's only really six main cases you need to remember, in my opinion.

Hardie, Allen, Kingston, Beard, Majewski, Gallagher. Plus the PoLs and the list of basic intent crimes.
Original post by Mactotaur
There's only really six main cases you need to remember, in my opinion.

Hardie, Allen, Kingston, Beard, Majewski, Gallagher. Plus the PoLs and the list of basic intent crimes.

Yeah, I personally find intoxication good but others may find it difficult thus its repeated a lot
Does anyone know how the mark scheme works?

/25 Marks how many marks would be:

Sound
Weak sound:

Clear:
Weak clear:

Some:
Weak some:
Yeah, I personally find intoxication good but others may find it difficult thus its repeated a lot

I hope intoxication comes up. If anything, I would rather automatism, consent or self-defence didn't come up. They're the defences I know the least well.
Does anyone know how the mark scheme works?

I don't know that exactly, but I know the breakdown per question.

AO1: 10, AO2: 15

Plus 5 AO3 marks on one question.
Reply 114
How long do you guys reckon the evaluation questions need to be?

Looking at the written up examples, they are all several pages long typed up which is a lot more written out. This seems like too much to me. I'm looking to get at least 20 marks on the question so how many pages should it be?
Original post by .JC.
How long do you guys reckon the evaluation questions need to be?

Looking at the written up examples, they are all several pages long typed up which is a lot more written out. This seems like too much to me. I'm looking to get at least 20 marks on the question so how many pages should it be?

As long as you get all the information in there, it doesn't have to be five pages long. Just make the points and develop them.

How many points do we need? I was thinking about three per defence/offence, is that not enough?
Reply 116
As long as you get all the information in there, it doesn't have to be five pages long. Just make the points and develop them.

How many points do we need? I was thinking about three per defence/offence, is that not enough?

I'm not sure how much detail I need to go into though. The example essays I've seen tend to be either too long or too short.
Original post by .JC.
I'm not sure how much detail I need to go into though. The example essays I've seen tend to be either too long or too short.

Can you ask your teacher? Failing that, have you found any example essays at A/A* level? Compare a few, work out how much detail they have on average.
Reply 118
Can you ask your teacher? Failing that, have you found any example essays at A/A* level? Compare a few, work out how much detail they have on average.

I'm waiting on a response for another question.

I have found some examples but don't know any that have been shown to be A/A* level and the ones which claim to be are far too long IMO to produce in an exam.
Reply 119
when talking about a main offence such as both manslaughters and murder aswell as non fatal offences (not defences) how many cases do you think is needed when talking about just one offence? I seem to only have 2/3 cases for each?

Quick Reply

Latest