The Student Room Group

Aqa unit 3 economics predictions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rossii97
Hi,

Yes I have analysed past papers questions and I have now my predictions of the Unit 3 AQA Economics exam on June 20th:

Essays:
I fully believe that the first essay will be about business objectives, heavily referring to monopoly and perfect competition, but mainly about the growth of firms and how significant profit maximisation and other objectives to certain firms and market structures are.

I believe the second essay will be on either price discrimination (hasn't featured as second essay since June 2013) or contestable markets (which hasn't featured since June 2012).

Finally, the trend seems to say that the third essay will be a cost-benefit analysis one (as it comes up every 2 years: Jan 2010, June 2012, June 2014) but it's very likely it could be about poverty, however this came up last year as the 3rd essay (in the form of distribution of income).

For the contexts, I have no idea but the general structure is always should the government intervene and competition policy is strong for this.

Good luck to everyone!

Possibility of Trade Unions and Monopsony employers coming up?
Reply 21
Hi,

Yes I have analysed past papers questions and I have now my predictions of the Unit 3 AQA Economics exam on June 20th:

Essays:
I fully believe that the first essay will be about business objectives, heavily referring to monopoly and perfect competition, but mainly about the growth of firms and how significant profit maximisation and other objectives to certain firms and market structures are.

I believe the second essay will be on either price discrimination (hasn't featured as second essay since June 2013) or contestable markets (which hasn't featured since June 2012).

Finally, the trend seems to say that the third essay will be a cost-benefit analysis one (as it comes up every 2 years: Jan 2010, June 2012, June 2014) but it's very likely it could be about poverty, however this came up last year as the 3rd essay (in the form of distribution of income).

For the contexts, I have no idea but the general structure is always should the government intervene and competition policy is strong for this.

Good luck to everyone!

What do you think the chance is that both the contexts will be business economics and not along the lines of government intervention? I only ask because last year both 25 markers weren't very business economicsy.
Reply 22
How would you answer this question?

Evaluate the view that, providing there is market contestability, governmentintervention to ensure competition is unnecessary. (25 marks)
Reply 23
that question is quite nice, i would do a competitive oligopoly and the effects on productive eff allocative eff and equity

Original post by Dan-Bon

Evaluate the view that, providing there is market contestability, governmentintervention to ensure competition is unnecessary. (25 marks)
Reply 24
how would you write a cost benefit analysis essay? im struggling for content to include. Thanks.

Hi,

Essays:

Good luck to everyone!
Reply 25
Anyone else have any predictions on economics, I don't know why I get the feeling that it's going to be hard :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cutelady
Anyone else have any predictions on economics, I don't know why I get the feeling that it's going to be hard :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by JT0121
that question is quite nice, i would do a competitive oligopoly and the effects on productive eff allocative eff and equity

Original post by Dan-Bon

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4172266&page=6 Please keep the discussion on one thread, makes it easier for all of us :smile:
Original post by Dan-Bon

Talk about the degree of contestability, efficiency of the market, possible market failure, negative externalities in production etc. barriers to entry may be too high etc.
Reply 28
Original post by Alextaylor6
can anyone explain the main points you would put for these, thanks

Are you joking? do some revision on them?
Original post by DavidC15
Are you joking? do some revision on them?

oh **** off david you c unt
(edited 7 years ago)
How did everyone find it?
Original post by harrietw1

****. Which essays did you do/what did you talk about?
What grade roughly would 55/80 be? 😩 honestly such a hard Section A I'm so annoyed

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by harrietw1

Really difficult! Section A was so hard to contextualise I didn't make much sense of the either of the two essay questions but I seem to be the only one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by marioandluigi
Really difficult! Section A was so hard to contextualise I didn't make much sense of the either of the two essay questions but I seem to be the only one

Posted from TSR Mobile

same. Which did you do/what did you write about?
Original post by BirdIsWord
same. Which did you do/what did you write about?

Context 2, Essay 1! Essay 1 I wrote about concentrated markets and the costs and benefits of monopolies / monopoly power to consumers and producers also about 5 diagrams in that essay showing welfare loss, low AC/productive efficiency, allocative inefficiency profit max etc and about 3 diagrams for the 15 marker. And Context 2 I don't even know lmaaaoooo I wrote about discrimination, part time full time, skills no skills and gender I don't even know if that's answering the 10 market but I just wrote about it anyway 😩😫😭😩 you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest