The Student Room Group

How much money to take to uni?

okay so ill be attending in September 2017. I know this is over a year away so that's why I'm asking now. Iv got £120 so far, and I know that is not a lot but how much should I take? I haven't managed to find a job yet, and I known people will say 'as much as you can' but is there a certain amount that can help? i know some people may say £1000 but realistically I wont have that money, due to personal issues etc :/
Original post by hestiaoya
okay so ill be attending in September 2017. I know this is over a year away so that's why I'm asking now. Iv got £120 so far, and I know that is not a lot but how much should I take? I haven't managed to find a job yet, and I known people will say 'as much as you can' but is there a certain amount that can help? i know some people may say £1000 but realistically I wont have that money, due to personal issues etc :/

Will you be getting any form of student finance?
Reply 2
Original post by Mochassassin
Will you be getting any form of student finance?

Is that the student loan that you apply for? if so then, yeah ill be applying for that. My dad earns less than £20,000 a year and is a single parent, so I'm unsure about how much id be intitled to

Totally depends on how much money your getting from sfe, parents, bursaries, scholarships

Because I get the maximum loan + grant + bursary I dont have to take any money to uni

I would say that you should budget £20 a week for food, £20-40 a week for social stuff (depends on how much you go out, drink etc) and then your rent + some extra cash for unexpected costs (about £250)
(edited 7 years ago)
Is that the student loan that you apply for? if so then, yeah ill be applying for that. My dad earns less than £20,000 a year and is a single parent, so I'm unsure about how much id be intitled to

In that case, you'll probably get a maintenance grant as well as a loan (if SFC assesses your dad's income and decides to give you it). You probably won't need to take any extra money.
I only took £50 but only because I was told my loan was coming in late and needed money for food.
Are you going to be living at home or at university? :smile:

I got a summer job to pay for fresher's fun, I saved up about £600 and it all went in the first week lol.

I regret nothing
First, find out how much is covered by finance, so if you're living in halls you won't have to considered bills for example if they're included so won't need to budget for that.

You can do £20 a week shop easily, just got to learn how to shop well, e.g buy vegetables in bulk, freezing.

Then depending on how often you go out, how much you drink and the area you're going to work out social budget. Then try save like £100 just for 'just in case' for example if you're lost and you need a taxi, for emergencies x
Rememebr, theres little things you can do for extra bit of cash. Selling clothes and DVDs is a good way to start! I made £100 this week off Depop
Original post by ellieacraig
Rememebr, theres little things you can do for extra bit of cash.

Spoiler

Youll be completey fine then as long as you budget, the only people I know that struggle to get by and get the full amount of maintence loan are ones that want to buy things all the time (like spend over £100 a week + food) :smile: dependent on the uni you go to (and if you agreed to share parents income with uni) you will also get a bursary which is free money
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
I got a summer job to pay for fresher's fun, I saved up about £600 and it all went in the first week lol.

I regret nothing

how did you spend that much?!?
Original post by madmadmax321
how did you spend that much?!?

I used to have a lifestyle like this fella...

Spoiler

As the others are pointing out it will help if you make a budget of your costs (food, travel, books, social, other) and then compare that to how much you might have from various sources.
Do check to see whether there are any bursaries available for you.

Earning money over the summer will be a real asset for you, even if its bar work, fast food, supermarket shelf stacking etc.

The key is you must not overspend and get into debt or run out of money or you wont be eating etc. Pay your rent first.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/studentfinance/article-2022893/How-draw-student-budget-tips-sticking-it.html
https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/budgeting-for-college-or-university
Reply 13
Original post by Mochassassin
In that case, you'll probably get a maintenance grant as well as a loan

The Maintenance Grant has been stopped from September 2016 - there will just be a larger Maintenance Loan.

Many unis give a non-repayable bursary to students from low-income households.

A student bank account and associated overdraft would be useful for helping with accommodation deposits and/or the first rent installment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending