The Student Room Group

Going to a music festival by myself

I really wanted to go to the Wireless festival this year but none of my friends will neither be around when it starts not is interested in music and my brothers are not free that weekend, so forgot about the idea. But I had a second thought and thought I really want to enjoy my summer off because my 2nd year at Uni sucked and I know my final year will be even more difficult, and going to my first music festival would go some way to having a great summer.

So I'm contemplating about going to Wireless by myself, I know it's the social "norm" to enjoy social events with someone close to you but I'm tempted not to give a **** about what others would think of me (i.e. loner, desperate, sad etc.) or not doing something I want to do because friends and family aren't available or can't be arsed, then again I think about the costs of the tickets in an unusual situation. It says it all that the post is not anonymous in order not to hide face. Anyway I'm posting to see what you guys would do if you were in my situation or if you've done something similar before, really hoping for honest responses :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Do it. You don't have to do stuff with other people, I'm going to the Czech Republic by myself for a week. Who cares what people think, don't miss out on a fairly good lineup at Wireless (looking at you Anderson Paak)!
Reply 2
i would say **** it too! ive been to so many concerts by myself (although theyre not festivals) and honestly its awkward, not gonna lie, but once the music starts everyone is just connected. i went to wirless (With a friend) a few years back and honestly with the way it was you could probably find some people to hang with once you get there
Reply 3
Original post by YoungerHamii2014
I really wanted to go to the Wireless festival this year but none of my friends will neither be around when it starts not is interested in music and my brothers are not free that weekend, so forgot about the idea. But I had a second thought and thought I really want to enjoy my summer off because my 2nd year at Uni sucked and I know my final year will be even more difficult, and going to my first music festival would go some way to having a great summer.

So I'm contemplating about going to Wireless by myself, I know it's the social "norm" to enjoy social events with someone close to you but I'm tempted not to give a **** about what others would think of me (i.e. loner, desperate, sad etc.) or not doing something I want to do because friends and family aren't available or can't be arsed, then again I think about the costs of the tickets in an unusual situation. It says it all that the post is not anonymous in order not to hide face. Anyway I'm posting to see what you guys would do if you were in my situation or if you've done something similar before, really hoping for honest responses :smile:

You'd be surprised at the amount of people that go to festivals by themselves (there's even threads on efestival for people going alone to meet up). I would do the same thing as you and go and have fun (I was about to buy my tickets, but then I realised that I have exams :frown: )
Go for it, you'll end up making new friends! Ignore what other people think, you're the one going out and having fun.
Reply 5
I'm not sure why you think anyone will be focusing on you, some experiences should or maybe better with friends but seriously do as you please or you may never do it. Nothing wrong with doing things on your own, you may meet people as well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
i think you should go because you'd probably regret missing it as you seem to wanna go and to be fair other people won't be judging you about being alone. you could always meet new people there but even if u don't it wouldn't really matter because you could see artist you want to and people don't really talk much when the artist is actually performing
Reply 7

Go mate. We don't all need to be holding hands with others to enjoy things. I've been to the cinema myself when nobody wanted to see a film. The amout of people sitting alone was refreshing as I was a tad worried about people thinking he's got no friends. But once you're there you'll make friends as it happens many times.

If you are a bit worried and people ask just fib or something. Don't prevent yourself just because you're going alone.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Very good way to enjoy a festival tbh - go where you want to go, see what you want to see, do what you want to do... without having to have a debate with a bunch of other people about every last thing.

very nice to have your attention turned outwards towards the interesting new things around you rather than inwards into a social group you usually spend lots of time with anyway.
You do you! :u:
Who cares what people think?
You're bound to meet people there anyway especially considering it's a music festival.
Go for it!
Im tempted to do the same tbh!
I want to go to a concert but have no one to go with so i might just go on my own instead!
You can do what you want, when you want to that way!
Its a lot easier and can be more fun too!
Original post by kkboyk
You'd be surprised at the amount of people that go to festivals by themselves (there's even threads on efestival for people going alone to meet up). I would do the same thing as you and go and have fun (I was about to buy my tickets, but then I realised that I have exams :frown: )

I would've thought as much, can imagine the confidence of doing that. It's a shame you're missing out though. Hopefully your exams go well and you get the results you want :wink:
Original post by PhoebeM99
Go for it, you'll end up making new friends! Ignore what other people think, you're the one going out and having fun.

That's very true, a mate of mine from Uni said the very same thing to me on snapchat. It's about taking the risk and putting yourself out there I guess, which is something I know I'm very capable of.
It's always easier to meet new people when your out by yourself... Also most of the people there will be ..."drunk" and incapable of judgement so don't worry. Also check out LoveBox if you live in London
Reply 14
I would've thought as much, can imagine the confidence of doing that. It's a shame you're missing out though. Hopefully your exams go well and you get the results you want :wink:

Original post by JavaScriptMaster
It's always easier to meet new people when your out by yourself... Also most of the people there will be ..."drunk" and incapable of judgement so don't worry. Also check out LoveBox if you live in London

Haha LoveBox was my backup, and I do live in London, because my brother preferred it to Wireless but couldn't go because he has work during the week. I have a lot of experience of being around wasted people and being wasted myself of course so there's the element of feeling more comfortable with what's around me.
Haha LoveBox was my backup, and I do live in London, because my brother preferred it to Wireless but couldn't go because he has work during the week. I have a lot of experience of being around wasted people and being wasted myself of course so there's the element of feeling more comfortable with what's around me.

Well what I meant is the people there won't be wasted on alcohol so if your only drunk then that's alright haha. Also I only mention LoveBox because I went there once by myself and ended up leaving with a gorgeous French girl who was also there by herself..... maybe that's why they call it LoveBox haha
Original post by kaksdhi
i think you should go because you'd probably regret missing it as you seem to wanna go and to be fair other people won't be judging you about being alone. you could always meet new people there but even if u don't it wouldn't really matter because you could see artist you want to and people don't really talk much when the artist is actually performing

Yeah I agree, I think this is the perspective I could do with, it's better to go and see what's on offer and if the worst happens I know I can look back and think "at least I'm not going what if and had the confidence to gamble"
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Well what I meant is the people there won't be wasted on alcohol so if your only drunk then that's alright haha. Also I only mention LoveBox because I went there once by myself and ended up leaving with a gorgeous French girl who was also there by herself..... maybe that's why they call it LoveBox haha

Hahha that kind of cheered up on the matter more, makes my chances of landing someone increasing :tongue: But yeah how was LoveBox last year? What was the lineup like?
Don't give a f*ck what people think just do you, I'm going on the Sunday and tbh although I'll be with people I'll be having my own fun!

I'm sure you'll meet people, drunk people are always friendly lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest