The Student Room Group

Adult Nursing late application 2016

Scroll to see replies

Congratulations!
Congratulations! Hard work and stress always pays off! I start my nursing degree on January 2017, feeling quite nervous and anxious.
I had an interview for Adult nursing April 2017 intake on the 8/06/16 at Edge Hill. I was told that I would hear of their decision within 2 weeks. I was wondering if anybody has heard back yet? X
Reply 23
Original post by cheekaboom
Congratulations! Hard work and stress always pays off! I start my nursing degree on January 2017, feeling quite nervous and anxious.

Congratulations! :smile: Where are you off to?

I'm feeling quite nervous now too. I'm very scared about how I'll cope financially, but also about having this big gap before starting. I'm going to be working as a HCA until I start, but as its been a very long time since school for me I feel like I need to do a bit of studying on top to be ready. I'm thinking about trying to buy some of the essential books etc whilst I can afford them! Have you been given any advice on what to do beforehand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Original post by Dedeemumof7
I had an interview for Adult nursing April 2017 intake on the 8/06/16 at Edge Hill. I was told that I would hear of their decision within 2 weeks. I was wondering if anybody has heard back yet? X

My interview wasn't at Edge Hill, but I know UCAS can take a while to update so try not to panic, it's not been two weeks yet either. If you've not heard from them by the 23rd there's no harm in ringing/emailing to ask :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you! I have an offer at BCU.

You will be absolutely fine! There are books you can read beforehand maybe going to an open day will help as they can tell you what you could touch up on or give you a timetable layout because on my interview day they had a timetable structure from last year which would still apply for me. I guess I am really worried about placements and exams (not an exam person).

Good Luck on your nursing degree! :smile:
Reply 26
INCREDIBLE NEWS. Well done you :smile:

Original post by JP0506
Just wanted to update and let everyone know, I passed the Interview with flying colours and have a place for a February 2017 start. I am so happy and relieved :smile: Thank you so much to everyone who offered advice, especially those who told me not to give up!
I'm afraid I received an unsuccessful from Edge Hill for the Adult nursing programme. I am gutted. Having received my feedback I can't believe how close I came to being offered a place. My interview I scored full marks ,nothing to improve on there at all, I couldn't have done anymore. The English comprehension literacy test and timed Essay I scored 52% out of a possible 60% which I'm very happy with, considering that I haven't wrote an essay in over 5 years. I'm afraid it was the maths that let me down in the end. I only managed to answer 5/12 questions in the ten minutes provided, as I don't know what happened my mind just went blank. I could absoloutly kick myself I really could. I don't feel they should have based their decision soley on these tests, as I already have maths and English GCSEs passed, not pending. I tried my best I really did. I will be applying again for September 2017 but am worried that even if I was to be given an interview next time, this will subsequently happen again and my mind will go blank and I will lose out on a place again. I am going to wait and see what comes up in clearing, although I very much doubt any nursing courses wil come up in this. X
Reply 28
Original post by Dedeemumof7
I'm afraid I received an unsuccessful from Edge Hill for the Adult nursing programme. I am gutted. Having received my feedback I can't believe how close I came to being offered a place. My interview I scored full marks ,nothing to improve on there at all, I couldn't have done anymore. The English comprehension literacy test and timed Essay I scored 52% out of a possible 60% which I'm very happy with, considering that I haven't wrote an essay in over 5 years. I'm afraid it was the maths that let me down in the end. I only managed to answer 5/12 questions in the ten minutes provided, as I don't know what happened my mind just went blank. I could absoloutly kick myself I really could. I don't feel they should have based their decision soley on these tests, as I already have maths and English GCSEs passed, not pending. I tried my best I really did. I will be applying again for September 2017 but am worried that even if I was to be given an interview next time, this will subsequently happen again and my mind will go blank and I will lose out on a place again. I am going to wait and see what comes up in clearing, although I very much doubt any nursing courses wil come up in this. X

I'm sorry to hear you weren't successful. It must be so hard. Does it have to be edge hill? If not try ringing up UCLAN, De Montfort, Wolverhampton, Coventry, BCU, UoB etc - they all have starts in Jan/Feb/March or April. And it's worth a go. Maths is tough, I did my GCSE over 10 years ago, and a revised like mad for the test, the only advice I can give if you were spot on on everything else is to revise revise revise for maths. BBC bite size is really usual, and most unis have example papers/mocks on their website which will help.

Don't give up, if it's meant to be it'll happen. And yeah clearing places may not be very likely this year, but that definitely doesn't mean it's not worth trying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
congratulations, I am wanting to apply for university for September 2016 start, sending my UCAS off hopefully tomorrow as the university I wish to attend said they welcome my submission. As a late applicant how quickly did you hear back from the university and did you state you wanted to start in February 17 of did you not specify?
Reply 30
Original post by nickisams2012
congratulations, I am wanting to apply for university for September 2016 start, sending my UCAS off hopefully tomorrow as the university I wish to attend said they welcome my submission. As a late applicant how quickly did you hear back from the university and did you state you wanted to start in February 17 of did you not specify?

I asked everywhere I spoke to if they had any places for September 16, or Jan/Feds/March/April 17. I couldn't find anywhere that would've been possible for me with September 2016 places, but I wasn't able to move very far so that did limit my options. I managed to speak to them on the phone, then via email and within a week they'd given me an interview date for a fortnights time - so pretty quickly! :smile: I found out id got an offer the day after interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP0506
I asked everywhere I spoke to if they had any places for September 16, or Jan/Feds/March/April 17. I couldn't find anywhere that would've been possible for me with September 2016 places, but I wasn't able to move very far so that did limit my options. I managed to speak to them on the phone, then via email and within a week they'd given me an interview date for a fortnights time - so pretty quickly! :smile: I found out id got an offer the day after interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What kind of questions were asked in the interview?
Thank you. I'm just finalising my personal statement and then off it goes. I have been told my uni still has September spaces. But wondering if they reject me for September can I try for February.

All so scary
Reply 33
Original post by iamparisstar2
What kind of questions were asked in the interview?

Quite a variety - 2 were part of a written test and asked about care experience etc and then some were part of a group interview where they were scenario type questions. Then there was also the maths test and I had an individual interview right at the end. A lot of it was (in my opinion) about assessing your values and communication ability as much as your nursing knowledge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Thank you. I'm just finalising my personal statement and then off it goes. I have been told my uni still has September spaces. But wondering if they reject me for September can I try for February.

All so scary

I would stay positive for now and do as much as you can to prepare for this interview. I would imagine it would be unlikely for them to turn you down for September but re-interview for Feb, unless they made it conditional on you doing something else before then (ie more work exp or something), or you could prove what had changed between now and then which might make them reconsider.

As I say though, I would stay positive for now, and do all you can to prepare for an interview for September - that's what I did and just went in with the attitude that I was gonna give it my all, and I'd done everything I could, and if it was meant to be it would happen. Trust in yourself, that's all you can do!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Congratulations!!!

Im just wondering, did you apply through ucas because i am really wanting to start this september or even january start. I have a ucas account from last year and my personal statement is still the same (its for nursing). Is it best to ring around the uni's??
Reply 36
Original post by thestars
Congratulations!!!

Im just wondering, did you apply through ucas because i am really wanting to start this september or even january start. I have a ucas account from last year and my personal statement is still the same (its for nursing). Is it best to ring around the uni's??

Definitely ring university's before submitting UCAS to them - as if they're full they'll just reject you. Speak to individual unis and find out if they have places first, then find out how they want you to apply - some courses that have start dates for April/March won't accept UCAS applications in this cycle and you'll need to wait until it re-opens in September to apply - others will want them now before the 30th of June deadline. I would just get on the phones ASAP and speak to them directly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP0506
Definitely ring university's before submitting UCAS to them - as if they're full they'll just reject you. Speak to individual unis and find out if they have places first, then find out how they want you to apply - some courses that have start dates for April/March won't accept UCAS applications in this cycle and you'll need to wait until it re-opens in September to apply - others will want them now before the 30th of June deadline. I would just get on the phones ASAP and speak to them directly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much! I'm going to give some unis a ring
Original post by thestars
Thank you so much! I'm going to give some unis a ring

how did you get on?

I sent my UCAS submission off just now I wonder how long it will be before I hear anything?
how did you get on?

I sent my UCAS submission off just now I wonder how long it will be before I hear anything?

I sent off my UCAS on the 21st - still waiting for offers/rejections though KCL have sent me an email acknowledging that theyve received my application and with it was a link to their own application tracker :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending