The Student Room Group

Have I ruined my chances ?

Hi basically I am in year 11 and just finished my exams and personally I don't feel like they went to well as I had expectations for majority a* but I think I may end up with a few a* and As and few Bs and possibly Cs I've always wanted to do law and go to a really good uni preferbly Kcl but I'm honestly so worried that I've ruined everything now. I would very much appreciate any advice from people that have applied to unis or have any info on anyway I can improve me chances to applied to Russell group unis That I can begin to work on now and once I start year 12 Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by missn2000
end up with a few a*...

...worried that I've ruined everything now.

I'm sorry, these two statements do not make sense together.

A few less A*s than expected is not going to ruin your future - AS grades and predictions matter much more than GCSE grades :yep:
Reply 2
You are expecting majority A*s, yet you can't even grasp basic grammar. If you write like that in your exams you'll be lucky to scrape Es.
Original post by ATW1
You are expecting majority A*s, yet you can't even grasp basic grammar. If you write like that in your exams you'll be lucky to scrape Es.

What a lovely comment.
Hi basically I am in year 11 and just finished my exams and personally I don't feel like they went to well as I had expectations for majority a* but I think I may end up with a few a* and As and few Bs and possibly Cs I've always wanted to do law and go to a really good uni preferbly Kcl but I'm honestly so worried that I've ruined everything now. I would very much appreciate any advice from people that have applied to unis or have any info on anyway I can improve me chances to applied to Russell group unis That I can begin to work on now and once I start year 12 Thank you

I feel this way too, I don't know what I should be expecting so I'm worried.
Reply 5
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
What a lovely comment.

It was intended to be constructive, not lovely.
Reply 6
Original post by niv1234

One thing I always remember is that "there will always be people less smart than you" and that if you have the "confidence to do it, you can." The exams may not have gone as badly as you think, chin up and relax. You'll be fine
This probably isn't what a teacher would tell you but if you performed poorly at GCSE that really isn't too important if you have high A level grades/predictions. As someone who didn't try as hard as I should have at GCSE I upped my game for AS and now A2 and I have offers for a pretty competitive course so it really isn't the end of the world :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ATW1

I'm typing this quickly on my phone so I'm sorry that the errors made seem to bother you so much but I'm asking for helpful advice so if u can't offer any please feel free to go

Look, you'll be under enough stress when you start AS, just enjoy your summer. And hopefully you've done better than you think. If you haven't, there is nothing you can do about it now, and try and fix it next year.

Also for future exams, never think about them after the actual exam, you're just putting yourself under extra stress. What's done is done.

Good luck.
Reply 10
Original post by Alexion
I'm sorry, these two statements do not make sense together.

A few less A*s than expected is not going to ruin your future - AS grades and predictions matter much more than GCSE grades :yep:

Thanks for the reply - and I know it sounds silly it's just I had really expectations for myself and I feel like I just haven't done well enough i messed up my timings a hugely in my exams
Original post by ATW1
It was intended to be constructive, not lovely.

More like destructive.
Reply 12
Original post by niv1234

Glad to know I'm not on my own - I'm so anxious for results day
Thanks for the reply - and I know it sounds silly it's just I had really expectations for myself and I feel like I just haven't done well enough i messed up my timings a hugely in my exams

Definitely not the end of the world. You've learned a lesson, and if you remember that and apply it to your A-level work then I'm sure that you'll be fine in the future :ahee:
Reply 14
Original post by VMD100
This probably isn't what a teacher would tell you but if you performed poorly at GCSE that really isn't too important if you have high A level grades/predictions. As someone who didn't try as hard as I should have at GCSE I upped my game for AS and now A2 and I have offers for a pretty competitive course so it really isn't the end of the world :smile:

Thanks for the reassurance - I'm deffo gonna try a lot harder for my. A levels to try and make up for it
Original post by Jakir
One thing I always remember is that "there will always be people less smart than you" and that if you have the "confidence to do it, you can." The exams may not have gone as badly as you think, chin up and relax. You'll be fine

Thanks that made me fell slightly better.

Glad to know I'm not on my own - I'm so anxious for results day

Yeah me too, its the not knowing that is worrying me. I still have one exam left though :frown:. Anyways good luck with everything I hope it all goes well for you. :biggrin:

Heya :smile: Don't worry about it too much, you'll have done a lot better than you think you have. As long as you get in to 6th form you'll be fine :smile: KCL will want good GCSE's but if you can pull out amazing A-levels they wont be too fussed. As long you get your maths and English at a Grade B they will be fine with it. Just stay calm as there is nothing you can do now. Just pull it out of the bag later :biggrin: Best of Luck!! :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by PharaohFromSpace
Look, you'll be under enough stress when you start AS, just enjoy your summer. And hopefully you've done better than you think. If you haven't, there is nothing you can do about it now, and try and fix it next year.

Also for future exams, never think about them after the actual exam, you're just putting yourself under extra stress. What's done is done.

Good luck.

Thanks and I know it's not good to think about them I'm just a very anxious person :redface: but I've definitely learned my lesson
Reply 18
Original post by niv1234
Thanks that made me fell slightly better.

Yeah me too, its the not knowing that is worrying me. I still have one exam left though :frown:. Anyways good luck with everything I hope it all goes well for you. :biggrin:

Exactly and I've got two :frown::frown:. Thank you for your reply and best of luck to u too !!
Unless you're trying to get into Oxbridge, then no, you're fine.

Quick Reply

Latest