The Student Room Group

G063 A2 OCR ICT 2016 22nd June

Scroll to see replies

How do you guys structure an 11 marker?
Original post by EXOMENDES 101
Also I am stuck with distributed databases on Chapter 4 I don;t know how to explain the consistency/integrity with vertical or horizontal partitioning and the mark scheme is very basic and useless

Integrity and consistency is kept with partitioned databases because there is no dupilcated data as each site stores its own department's information. This means that the information on each local site is up to date. And if another site ever needed this information, they can just request it and this up to date information will be sent to them.
Original post by AdamThePhysicsMo
How do you guys structure an 11 marker?

One sentence introduction
2 advantages
2 disadvantages
Conclusion

Or if it asks to explain future developments, I'd probably think of 3-4 developments and explain the pros and cons, each development as one paragraph
Original post by smackitintheair
Integrity and consistency is kept with partitioned databases because there is no dupilcated data as each site stores its own department's information. This means that the information on each local site is up to date. And if another site ever needed this information, they can just request it and this up to date information will be sent to them.

Thanks dude I really appreciate it - it's been bugging me. It turned up in one exam paper a couple of years ago but it could be reworded and come up again. It was a 6 mark question.

Cheers
Original post by EXOMENDES 101
Thanks dude I really appreciate it - it's been bugging me. It turned up in one exam paper a couple of years ago but it could be reworded and come up again. It was a 6 mark question.

Cheers

You're welcome :smile: there's a lot of stuff about it in the official ocr ict book if you have it
I have read the textbook and condensed it into my own words. It still didn't make sense to me. I even bought the blue version by OCR (more condensed) and that was :/ not much relevant information.
20160619_152700.jpg
I've been revising from a book that's from like 2008 and i've just realised that this topic isnt on the recent specification. But i dunno if i've just missed it on the spec, have any of you guys studied that topic?
20160619_152700.jpg
I've been revising from a book that's from like 2008 and i've just realised that this topic isnt on the recent specification. But i dunno if i've just missed it on the spec, have any of you guys studied that topic?

That's kinda old right?
Never seen that question.
20160619_152700.jpg

I have that exact book and yeah thats not in the new spec, they changed it in 2012

Unfortunately thats not the only one, such as that book teaches how to draw efds and state transition one ... but their not in the new spec either. That book is also missing some new points that were added.

Basically ita a rubbish book but im in the same boat as you cus its the only one i have haha!
Thanks guys! Yay something i dont have to look over.
Original post by AdamThePhysicsMo
I have that exact book and yeah thats not in the new spec, they changed it in 2012

Unfortunately thats not the only one, such as that book teaches how to draw efds and state transition one ... but their not in the new spec either. That book is also missing some new points that were added.

Basically ita a rubbish book but im in the same boat as you cus its the only one i have haha!

Yeah i've just had a look, make sure you look over social networking and software based training software if you havent already
Yeah i've just had a look, make sure you look over social networking and software based training software if you havent already

GPS, weather forecasting and cellular network are key in G063! How are you all revising? So
Much content, I find bandwidth, such as the cables and leased and all that in chapter 3 difficult to learn and the databases in chapter 4
Original post by BusinessLover18
GPS, weather forecasting and cellular network are key in G063! How are you all revising? So
Much content, I find bandwidth, such as the cables and leased and all that in chapter 3 difficult to learn and the databases in chapter 4

I've been looking at that in another chapter, it's just that specific topic isnt isnt in the new spec. I hate the proffesional body stuff, it's hard to remember all their stupid pros and cons. I've just been revising through the book really and looking at mark schemes to see what kind of stuff they're looking for
I've been looking at that in another chapter, it's just that specific topic isnt isnt in the new spec. I hate the proffesional body stuff, it's hard to remember all their stupid pros and cons. I've just been revising through the book really and looking at mark schemes to see what kind of stuff they're looking for

Yes mark schemes are the best way. Then you write in the same style the examiners are looking for. Remember simple and straightforward answers. The textbook for me isn't that good - in terms of getting to know the content is good. But past papers is good for practising how to apply that knowledge.
Reply 34
In case you didn't know its a guarantee that one of the 11 markers is on current or future developments in technologies and their effects, so what developments are people thinking of using? I'm definitely considering biometrics with the increase in fingerprint scanners on phones, as well as the developments in drones which could be used for security. Thoughts?
(edited 7 years ago)
So the 11-marker for the AS paper this year (I retook) was missing; is it possible it'll be the same in the A2 paper?
Original post by cmardle
In case you didn't know its a guarantee that one of the 11 markers is on current or future developments in technologies and their effects, so what developments are people thinking of using? I'm definitely considering biometrics with the increase in fingerprint scanners on phones, as well as the developments in drones which could be used for security. Thoughts?

I've got a small list I wrote down.

Moore’s Law (2 yrs) vs. encryption

BYOD

Biometrics

Industrial espionage with tiny devices

More people online = more points of entry
(edited 7 years ago)
Do you guys think there will be 2 11 markers in this years paper? Last year there was only one 11 marker
Original post by heyitskim
Do you guys think there will be 2 11 markers in this years paper? Last year there was only one 11 marker

This year there wasn't an 11 marker at all in the AS paper. Maybe A2 will follow suit.
someone link the 2015 paper please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending