The Student Room Group

Students Having A Crush On Their Teacher??

Having started a teaching position recently I find, as a male, this side of the job a bit uncomfortable.

I get weird/inappropriate comments from female students in lesson and as I am walking around the building. In lesson I see giggling and hear strange things. My reaction is always to ignore them.

I dont really want to ignore them as I want to help them learn and develop but their inappropriate behavior is stopping me doing that.

Any thoughts or advise?

Scroll to see replies

they're probably just joking about it, maybe they think you're quite chilled out so they think it's okay, you could be more strict with them or talk to the year leader
Reply 2
As a student, it does happen a lot and it's not really something that can be helped. Got to remember that while it is very uncomfortable, you're dealing with a bunch of hormonal teenagers who can't control it. I do think that making comments towards you and stuff and making it obvious is inappropriate of them but again, teenagers do stupid things. If I'm attracted to one of my female teachers I try to not outwardly show it in any way, but some people have less of a filter - especially when they're in groups.

In my experience the best way to deal with it is not treat them any differently in terms of helping them and such. A lot of teachers casually chat with students about stuff which I think is great, but with that sort of student you might want to not do that because giving them non-academic attention encourages it.

I'm 18 and just leaving college so I've witnessed a lot of it over the years, and also seen teachers reciprocate flirting and give special attention to those girls which is despicable IMO.
Depends how hot you are. As teenage girls, we can appreciate hotness.

But inappropriate giggling is frankly ridiculous of them. As a teacher, you are 5+ years older and in a position of power and authority, so I find it pretty creepy tbh, if a girl gets all silly and giggly over a teacher.

Spoiler

Also, it could be worse, I guess. I've heard of female teachers getting male students staring right at their chests, despite being fully covered. :s-smilie:
nobody has to know lol :wink: :wink:
Would you consider yourself as attractive?
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Would you consider yourself as attractive?

I don't know, I guess girls do notice me around her if that counts (but of course it could also be they notice my clothes or style or something else?).

I generally don't react well if someone calls me attractive I feel so awkward (male btw), I would call a girl pretty 100 times but if she says I'm attractive I don't know how to feel.
I remember when one particular teacher started at our all-girls school - half the kids were head over heels for him. Trouble was, he went along with it, for the older students (15/16). Playing along if they made flirty comments, sharing a chair with them when he was going over their work, stuff like that. I don't think he was ever formally disciplined but it certainly made the rest of the girls get suspicious. And then there was the one that emailed students from his private account to talk about what he did at the weekend and so on - nothing sexual (we think) but he still got fired and got a teaching ban for five years.

My advice is, don't play along with it. At all. If they try being flirty, just blank them, don't even take a second glance, just answer the question and carry on with whatever you were doing. If you're concerned that it's getting particularly bad, maybe talk to someone about dealing with the issue, I'm not sure. And don't agree to one-to-one lessons with the usual suspects. Have another teacher or another couple of students there. It's unfortunate, but if they try anything on it'll be your word against theirs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The consequences last a lot longer than those pleasurable five seconds of flirting. Don't.
Reply 9
Original post by ElspethC
I remember when one particular teacher started at our all-girls school - half the kids were head over heels for him. Trouble was, he went along with it, for the older students (15/16). Playing along if they made flirty comments, sharing a chair with them when he was going over their work, stuff like that. I don't think he was ever formally disciplined but it certainly made the rest of the girls get suspicious. And then there was the one that emailed students from his private account to talk about what he did at the weekend and so on - nothing sexual (we think) but he still got fired and got a teaching ban for five years.

My advice is, don't play along with it. At all. If they try being flirty, just blank them, don't even take a second glance, just answer the question and carry on with whatever you were doing. If you're concerned that it's getting particularly bad, maybe talk to someone about dealing with the issue, I'm not sure. And don't agree to one-to-one lessons with the usual suspects. Have another teacher or another couple of students there. It's unfortunate, but if they try anything on it'll be your word against theirs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi

What do you mean by try anything on?

I don't want to completely ignore them because I want to make a difference. Im not too much older than them (I got mistaken for a student a few times), so I probably understand them better than most teachers.

I actually want a good teacher student relationship where I explain the work to them in ways that they understand?

I know certainly I had teachers in my life who I've had amazing relationships with male and female - I would hopefully like to be that sort of person?
Original post by thecatwithnohat
The consequences last a lot longer than those pleasurable five seconds of flirting. Don't.

I wouldn't flirt but does that mean I can't make any jokes or say something other than things about their work? Because I'm finding that difficult - I know my teachers would talk about everything with us?

It just makes thing really awkward in lesson, I don't know where to look sometimes.
Reply 11
Why did the music teacher get arrested?

for fingering a minor .... *boom, boom*
Has to be a troll. You can't be stupid enough to ask for advice on a situation regarding inappropriate behaviour from students on a site with students as it's majority demographic. If you are ... God help you.
Having started a teaching position recently I find, as a male, this side of the job a bit uncomfortable.

I get weird/inappropriate comments from female students in lesson and as I am walking around the building. In lesson I see giggling and hear strange things. My reaction is always to ignore them.

I dont really want to ignore them as I want to help them learn and develop but their inappropriate behavior is stopping me doing that.

Any thoughts or advise?

see this is what is so hot...
plus you obviously being physically attractive.
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Has to be a troll. You can't be stupid enough to ask for advice on a situation regarding inappropriate behaviour from students on a site with students as it's majority demographic. If you are ... God help you.

Didnt realise all students were secondary students.

I am also a student studying further part time.
see this is what is so hot...
plus you obviously being physically attractive.

I'm sorry?
I wouldn't flirt but does that mean I can't make any jokes or say something other than things about their work? Because I'm finding that difficult - I know my teachers would talk about everything with us?

It just makes thing really awkward in lesson, I don't know where to look sometimes.

Talking about non school related things should be okay- just DO NOT respond to any flirting/suggestive comments, at all. If it's a specific student that's being problematic maybe ask another member of staff to speak to them and ask them to stop.

Wanting the students to do well and helping them develop as people is very noble but don't put yourself in a position where you can be accused of being inappropriate- rumours spread like wildfire and the last thing you want is your reputation to be marred and sometimes protecting it will come at the cost of (not) helping those students.

I know that probably isn't what you want to hear but better safe than sorry :redface:
Original post by Poooky
Talking about non school related things should be okay- just DO NOT respond to any flirting/suggestive comments, at all. If it's a specific student that's being problematic maybe ask another member of staff to speak to them and ask them to stop.

Wanting the students to do well and helping them develop as people is very noble but don't put yourself in a position where you can be accused of being inappropriate- rumours spread like wildfire and the last thing you want is your reputation to be marred and sometimes protecting it will come at the cost of (not) helping those students.

I know that probably isn't what you want to hear but better safe than sorry :redface:

Sorry to keep going on.

So if they say hello, should I blank them? Isn't that kind of rude and wouldn't that make them upset. I normally divert the attention to make them do work.

But then going back to my school days I seem to remember having conversations with my teachers about all kinds of things, relationships, their weekends etc?
Sorry to keep going on.

So if they say hello, should I blank them? Isn't that kind of rude and wouldn't that make them upset. I normally divert the attention to make them do work.

But then going back to my school days I seem to remember having conversations with my teachers about all kinds of things, relationships, their weekends etc?

No of course not! Saying hello isn't flirting :tongue: I'm saying ignore blatantly inappropriate comments, everything else is fine. Of course you should be friendly and build a rapport with them, that's all part of being a good teacher :smile:
For example if they see you in the hallway and say hello, how are you etc you should respond. If you're in the hallway and they make lewd remarks or there's inappropriate giggling then don't respond.

Hmm I think having conversations about their/your weekends/plans for holidays etc is fine, relationships is an iffy one and pushes the boundaries of what's okay imo. You can mention your partner ofc if they come up but don't talk in detail about your relationship or problems you're having. I think what a part of the problem is (when talking about relationships) that any comments can be misconstrued and therefore you should probably avoid it if possible. Anything else should be safe ground (with the exception of political views maybe :tongue: )

Its a bit more strict these days than I assume when you were in school. Or maybe your teachers didn't see it as a problem but if you're having issues already, as I said before better safe than sorry :redface:
I'm sorry?

what do you not understand?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending