The Student Room Group

Are you racist?

If not, then to what extent?
Are there certain races you wouldn't date/ want your family to date?
Just wondering.
Honest responses please.

Scroll to see replies

This aint gonna end well
This will end up becoming a debate about religion and before you know it there will be a new problem at hand.
I am not racist :no: but there are some religions that doesn't allow to date or marry someone with another race/religion :redface: and therefore my parents are racist because they won't let me date anyone :unsure:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I think we're all racist, to some degree. Even if we're not overtly racist like certain people in the media, within us all there is some subconscious racism. For instance, imagine you're in a fire and there are 2 other people, one of whom is the same race as you, the other is a different race. If you could only save one, nearly all, if not all of us would save the one who was the same race as us. This is because there are no other factors to really go off, so you will choose the one who is more similar to yourself, believing it to be the right choice. Or another situation which you may have encountered: you are in a supermarket and have a choice of 2 empty tills, again one tiller is the same race as you, the other isn't. I bet most people here, rushed to make their mind up, have chosen the tiller who is of the same race as them. It's the same in many other situations, you choose the person who is of your own race, it's all subconscious and can't really be stopped, but it's at work in us all. It happens with other features as well, if the only factor separating them is that one has glasses and the other doesn't, and you have glasses, you'd probably pick the person who had glasses.

Of course this probably isn't the racism the poster was asking about, and to answer their question no I most certainly am not a consciously racist person, like I hope others aren't. But technically we are all racist subconsciously.
Original post by hchc
I think we're all racist, to some degree. Even if we're not overtly racist like certain people in the media, within us all there is some subconscious racism. For instance, imagine you're in a fire and there are 2 other people, one of whom is the same race as you, the other is a different race. If you could only save one, nearly all, if not all of us would save the one who was the same race as us. This is because there are no other factors to really go off, so you will choose the one who is more similar to yourself, believing it to be the right choice. Or another situation which you may have encountered: you are in a supermarket and have a choice of 2 empty tills, again one tiller is the same race as you, the other isn't. I bet most people here, rushed to make their mind up, have chosen the tiller who is of the same race as them. It's the same in many other situations, you choose the person who is of your own race, it's all subconscious and can't really be stopped, but it's at work in us all. It happens with other features as well, if the only factor separating them is that one has glasses and the other doesn't, and you have glasses, you'd probably pick the person who had glasses.

Of course this probably isn't the racism the poster was asking about, and to answer their question no I most certainly am not a consciously racist person, like I hope others aren't. But technically we are all racist subconsciously.

Source?
Reply 6
No

But I have to say never been with a black person, not racism but prefrences. Not seen one I fancy yet. If I did it won't stop me just because colour.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is it racist to say that I wouldn't go out with anyone that could feature on "The undateables"?
Original post by hchc

Pretty sure i'd choose the shortest till first , priorities fam and in the fire incident whoever is closest doesn't die
Original post by hchc

Original post by hchc

you must be racist your self saying that you go to a till if they have the same race. I'm pretty sure most people would't care, the examples you gave have nothing to do with race your just racist
*everybody* is a racist to *somebody*
i.e. wanting to control your nation's european border policy is "racism" to some labour voters
i.e. wanting to have a totally open border policy to the world is "racism" to some lib dem voters
i.e. simply existing is "racism" to the green party

as for me, I'm not racist - I think all individuals of whatever skin tone or genes should live by the exact same standards, and I don't think european migrants should get better terms than global migrants as just an example, or that positive discrimination as a concept is demonstrably and objectively a racism proposition
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jenderekuality
If not, then to what extent?
Are there certain races you wouldn't date/ want your family to date?
Just wondering.
Honest responses please.

Everybody is racist. Poeple are just racist to varying degrees.

There is likely no one alive that doesnt have some degree of racial prejudice,
I'm not racist, racism is a crime

Spoiler

Original post by SMEGGGY
No

But I have to say never been with a black person, not racism but prefrences. Not seen one I fancy yet. If I did it won't stop me just because colour.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol i love people who say "I dont fancy X race, not because of racism, just because of my preferences" :lol:

Open your eyes. Where do you think you got those preferences from?.....You got them from a society that has an ethnocentric model of beauty that applauds white skin and demonises dark skinned people.

so like I said, everyone is a racist, including you and me. We have all been conditioned by society to be racists.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Esoteric-
lol i love people who say "I dont fancy X race, not because of racism, just because of my preferences" :lol:

Open your eyes. Where do you think you got those preferences from?.....You got them from a society that has an ethnocentric model of beauty that applauds white skin and demonises dark skinned people.

so like I said, everyone is a racist, including you and me. We have all been conditioned by society to be racists.

You speak for yourself....

Many South Asians are as dark skinned as Black people, I've found them to be attractive. Kelly Rowland is fit too and she's black. We can like what we want without it having your perceived racial aspect to it. :rolleyes:
I prefer 100m race over 200m, and I despise the 1500m race :sadnod:
Everyone's a little racist.
I believe that everyone has preferences and beliefs about others that stem from subjective teachings and interpretations; it is also down to others subjective interpretations to whether your specific beliefs or preferences are racist or not to them.
Some people may have different beliefs of what is racist and what is not, generally though going by the dictionary definition everybody is slightly racist but this is ignored as it is generally a base line.
No. I don't think I am. I'm judgemental and very selective who want in my life like choosing friends but I don't point my fingers at people and assume oh they're white so they must like this or anything.

I put people in molds and categories but I don't sterotype people due to their race. I categorize people by their actions and words and just the vibe I get but not skin tone. I think everyone is a little racist in the inside and unconsciously.

I prefer white males. I pretty can get attracted to anyone depending on how attractive they are but it's rarely. I blame TV because i watched a lot of TV growing up and still now. I think it was due to the over exposure of white actors in child shows so that's what I'm used to seeing.

My parents would be surprised if i brought someone who wasn't my race home but as long as he's not bad or a rebel it doesn't matter.

It's not racist to have preferences. Some people like their partners tk be tall, short, fat, skinny. Different strokes for different folks i guess. Not everyone is going to be attracted to one mold of a person just like not everyone loves mustard on their hamburgers. I prefer a veggie hamburger with mustard while the next person might not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending