The Student Room Group

Will this silly EU vote/outcome actually affect you?

Regardless of which side you're on, it is not going to affect me, or you in any way possible.
Just my two pence
it'd depend on the trade deals that are made but if we were to leave and make deals with say russia, china and the USA then it would help my business as these are the largest markets for jewellery and watches in the world outside of the UK
Just vote leave and I will tell you the benefit after the 22nd
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Mason
Regardless of which side you're on, it is not going to affect me, or you in any way possible.
Just my two pence

Now i don't think that EU membership is especially important in the long term but that's a fairly naive and incorrect view. If your working for an EU firm for example they may decide to expand production in Germany instead of the UK for example so you'll be effected indirectly. Equally if the negotiations are protracted and we enter recession then those working in retail may suffer indirectly.
Reply 4
I would love to see trade outside the EU made easier ! I would also like to see manufacturing increase within the EU as a result of the lifting of EU restrictions !
Reply 5
Original post by Rakas21
Now i don't think that EU membership is especially important in the long term but that's a fairly naive and incorrect view. If your working for an EU firm for example they may decide to expand production in Germany instead of the UK for example so you'll be effected indirectly. Equally if the negotiations are protracted and we enter recession then those working in retail may suffer indirectly.

Are you sure we ever actually got out of the last recession !
I am half German and my dad still carries a German passport. It'll cost him £1,200 to get a British one and because of the nature of his work, it may prove difficult for him to find work if Britain is no longer in the EU. He is now contemplating either moving to Germany or Belgium or moving to the Middle East (by himself, whilst the rest of my family stay in the UK). The outcome of the referendum will have a direct impact on my life.

It will also impact me through the likely recession and whatever happens to the ERASMUS scheme on my third year abroad - although this is understandably minor.

However, I'm lucky in that I have dual citizenship so I will be able to travel and work freely should I wish - I can speak three main European languages fluently and can understand a further two quite well.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by DoctorDC
I would love to see trade outside the EU made easier ! I would also like to see manufacturing increase within the EU as a result of the lifting of EU restrictions !

EU production is actually quite strong (it's the worlds largest exporter) with notable credit going to Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Ireland and Sweden.

Original post by DoctorDC
Are you sure we ever actually got out of the last recession !

Indeed we did.
Reply 8
Original post by Rakas21
EU production is actually quite strong (it's the worlds largest exporter) with notable credit going to Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Ireland and Sweden.

Actually as an economic zone, the EU is falling faster than any other region even though it does have a lot of producers ! Its GDP as a region is below that of the US and China - and the Euro is ina slump again.

Not to mention that another EU country has seen a banking collapse - Italy.
Sure it won't affect me, other than working for a foreign company which could decide to pull out of the UK market if we choose to leave.

So other than potentially losing my job it won't affect me at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It could potentially affect a hell of a lot of people I know who immigrated here from mainland European countries such as France, Germany, Poland and Italy.

It would also mean I could possibly see my workload increase significantly as the health sector relies a hell of a lot on EU migrants.

I really am thinking of moving out of the UK when I graduate
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes it will affect me. My dad came to England from Denmark 35 years ago. Everyone else in my family is British except him. So i'd leave the UK.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest