The Student Room Group

What A-Levels are you doing?

I've chosen Maths, Physics, History and English Literature. I've also already got an AS-Level in Religious Studies but I'm not finishing the A-Level.
Reply 1
That is the same interesting combination I took in Year 12
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
That is the same interesting combination I took in Year 12

How did it go? 😊
Reply 3
Original post by elisabethgrace
How did it go? 😊

It was good, though in Year 13 I dropped History in favour of taking up Further Maths full A level
Reply 4
I've chosen Maths, Physics, History and English Literature. I've also already got an AS-Level in Religious Studies but I'm not finishing the A-Level.

How was Religious Studies for you? I'm not sure if I should take it.

I've chosen Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths to start this year hopefully
Original post by Jayce.x
How was Religious Studies for you? I'm not sure if I should take it.

The AS is really interesting. I can't compare workload really as I took it 2 years early but I think that to do it you really need to find it interesting as there's a lot of subject matter to learn as well as all the reading around that you really need for the exam.
Reply 7
The AS is really interesting. I can't compare workload really as I took it 2 years early but I think that to do it you really need to find it interesting as there's a lot of subject matter to learn as well as all the reading around that you really need for the exam.

Can you link the books you used for it? And which board did you do it from?
Original post by Jayce.x
Can you link the books you used for it? And which board did you do it from?

I did AQA but I didn't really use revision books. I did buy the Nelson Thornes book for the Ethics module but I did't end up using it as much as I thought I would; I mainly used the internet and my notes made in lesson time. In terms of reading around, I read 'The Puzzle of God' by Peter Vardy, 'The Bible From Scratch' by Simon Jenkins, 'Philosophy Made Simple' by Richard H. Popkin and Avrum Stroll which had a couple of helpful chapters but wasn't particularly relevent to the subject matter, 'Principles of Political Economy' by J.S. Mill which gave you a good insight into Mills views but wasn't nessesary, 'Freud For Beginners' by Richard Appignanesi which was really helpful and 'Ethics For Beginners' by Dave Robinson and Chris Garratt. The 'For Beginners' series is really helpul actually; it uses comic strips and lots of cartoons and things and is great for breaking down a subject - they are also really cheap which helps! Hope this is helpful x
Reply 9
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, English. Couldnt decide on one to drop this year so i took them all into A2.
I am jus t finishing a2 maths, biology and chamistry and i did physics at as
I'll hopefully be doing English Literature, Mathematics, Psychology and Sociology from September onwards :-) I'm really excited for English Lit and Maths courses, as they look really interesting at A-level. ^^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I'm gonna do Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths. Wish me luck...
I'm doing Maths, FM, physics, chemistry, german and japanese, and have an AS in biology
Reply 14
I did AQA but I didn't really use revision books. I did buy the Nelson Thornes book for the Ethics module but I did't end up using it as much as I thought I would; I mainly used the internet and my notes made in lesson time. In terms of reading around, I read 'The Puzzle of God' by Peter Vardy, 'The Bible From Scratch' by Simon Jenkins, 'Philosophy Made Simple' by Richard H. Popkin and Avrum Stroll which had a couple of helpful chapters but wasn't particularly relevent to the subject matter, 'Principles of Political Economy' by J.S. Mill which gave you a good insight into Mills views but wasn't nessesary, 'Freud For Beginners' by Richard Appignanesi which was really helpful and 'Ethics For Beginners' by Dave Robinson and Chris Garratt. The 'For Beginners' series is really helpul actually; it uses comic strips and lots of cartoons and things and is great for breaking down a subject - they are also really cheap which helps! Hope this is helpful x

Thank you so much!
I'm in Year 11(sorry for intruding) and I was thinking of Math, Physics, Economics, French, but I am stuck between choosing Chemistry or Further Math. I don't have a very clear career path, so most "valued" a-levels would help. I did AQA Further Maths GCSE, and I'm predicted an A* at GCSE Maths.
Original post by keepyourapology
I'm in Year 11(sorry for intruding) and I was thinking of Math, Physics, Economics, French, but I am stuck between choosing Chemistry or Further Math. I don't have a very clear career path, so most "valued" a-levels would help. I did AQA Further Maths GCSE, and I'm predicted an A* at GCSE Maths.

Further Maths would go well with your Maths, Physics and to some extent economics and it should be completely do-able with your grades. From what I've been told by teachers and other students Chemistry is only interesting if you find it really interesting and is supposedly one of the hardest A-Levels so only take it if you want a challenge! In terms of which is mos useful, they are both about equal for employers and universities so it really is a matter of taking the one you enjoy most at the moment. Have a look at the course/specification for both of them and decide which one you like most :smile: Good luck!

Quick Reply