The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ivybridge
And yet another example of a right-wing idiot ignoring the actual words used by the reporter.

Trevor Noah clearly links all of the things together. He does not ignore radical islamic terrorism, nor does he ignore guns, or mental health. He links them all together. You are ignoring the reality that is the link between the attacks and the availability of guns in the United States of America.

If you read my post carefully, you will notice that I made a general statement about the leadership and the media as a whole; not Trevor Noah per se. I neither care nor feel he is enough of an authority to have any real impact on the debate.

Would you have evidence to suggest that the availability of guns causes homicides?
Original post by Aceadria
If you read my post carefully, you will notice that I made a general statement about the leadership and the media as a whole; not Trevor Noah per se. I neither care nor feel he is enough of an authority to have any real impact on the debate.

Would you have evidence to suggest that the availability of guns causes homicides?

You said 'another example' - making a clear comment directed at the video posted. Don't try and crawl out of it.

You need evidence beyond the events in themselves, that have included guns, to prove that guns are the problem as well as the individual/s responsible? Okay, lmfao. Proof that they're not? No?
You said 'another example' - making a clear comment directed at the video posted. Don't try and crawl out of it.

I made no mention of Trevor. If you want to believe in something I did not state, then so be it. Assumptions are by no means constructive.

You need evidence beyond the events in themselves, that have included guns, to prove that guns are the problem as well as the individual/s responsible? Okay, lmfao. Proof that they're not? No?

The guns can also be viewed as an accessory or tool that were used to carry out the perpetrator's motives. There is no evidence to suggest that the gun was the main motivator for carrying out the attacks; his belief in radical Islam and history of mental instability, on the other hand, provide a better cause.

I put it to you again: do you have conclusive evidence to suggest that guns lead to higher rates of homicides?
There is no need for semi-automatic weapons for self-defense or hunting. Do you remember the kid that was shot at a rifle range because an instructor lost control of the semi-automatic gun he was shooting at the time !!
Original post by DoctorDC
There is no need for semi-automatic weapons for self-defense or hunting. Do you remember the kid that was shot at a rifle range because an instructor lost control of the semi-automatic gun he was shooting at the time !!

Semi-automatic weapons are very valuable for self-defense and hunting (for humane followup shots). Do you want people to use bolt-actions or something for self-defense? You haven't thought your comment through.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Grand High Witch
I am pro-full gun control as in the UK, but even if America is to retain its right to bear arms, why is this not limited to basic handguns only? Why are automatic rifles available for sale? What possible purpose could buying an automatic rifle serve?

A semi-automatic rifle is an automatic rifle. What you mean to say is a 'fully-automatic' rifle.

Furthermore, what do you mean by 'basic handgun'?
Original post by QE2
As long as the safe is in the bedroom, you can do it without alerting the intruder, and the fact that you have challenged an armed intruder, rather than just let them take your TV, doesn't lead to a firefight that results in the deaths of your children .

If you think the intruder is in the en suite might you be tempted to shoot through the door, particularly if you are not as mobile as you once were?
How are you so thick? Do you understand what the terms: linked, connected, or intertwined mean?

I see that your argument is moot.
Original post by nulli tertius
If you think the intruder is in the en suite might you be tempted to shoot through the door, particularly if you are not as mobile as you once were?

Absolutely. You should also be sure not to ascertain the whereabouts of any other residents of the property, that would be an unnecessary and potentially dangerous waste of time delaying you from dealing with the issue at hand.
Original post by Anno007
Semi-automatic weapons are very valuable for self-defense and hunting (for humane followup shots). Do you want people to use bolt-actions or something for self-defense? You haven't thought your comment through.

Sorry i meant automatic weapons such as machine guns. Rifles and handguns are acceptable - but why do you need machine guns and their varients ?
Original post by DoctorDC
Sorry i meant automatic weapons such as machine guns. Rifles and handguns are acceptable - but why do you need machine guns and their varients ?

You cant buy them freely in the USA

Posted from TSR Mobile
you people really don't give a **** about the fact that where you have less gun regulations you have less crime, do you? it's all about these isolated incidents. yes, *some* regulation is good but banning certain guns is just stupids - why is that even going to do anything in your mind? as if a handgun wouldn't kill people instead? what if I don't think a handgun is enough? what if I needed to defend myself against a group of people with mere handguns? surely I'd have an advantage? "what if the group had assault rifles"? - if *I* alone had one as well then we'll all die, but would they really risk their life trying to steal my TV or whatever it is that most armed criminals want? +let me tell you too - there's no stopping psychos. in any country. you can make it hard for them, but you won't stop them. it's a sad fact of life that if there are people who are determined to kill, they will kill.
(edited 7 years ago)
Automatics are hard to get a hold of, but they are still not impossible to get. Also, FPSRussia mentioned a while back that he obtained a Type 2/Manufacturer's license or something like that, which basically allows him to make stuff go full-auto. I agree with the principle of self defense, but the ridiculous number of guns some people own in the states is a little more than concerning. Jim Jeffries, an Aussie comedian, had a very good sketch about the stupidity of certain 'muricans and their obsession with guns,
Original post by Lime-man
You cant buy them freely in the USA

Posted from TSR Mobile

Correct. I can't stand Britbongs who think they are experts on American law.

You can purchase automatic weapons created before a certain date but as I'm sure you can imagine the price is extremely inflated (by tens of thousands of dollars) to the point where only the most wealthy people can afford them and generally it's not wealthy people who are the cause of America's gun crime epidemic. It's poor people with illegal firearms which would not stop if the leftists take the guns.
Also British people don't understand the vast scale of America. If you live in London your house gets invaded you can call the police and they'll be there in 15 minutes. Now imagine you're in rural Alaska, they're have you for hours before anyone gets there. Laws with work in this country don't necessarily work in America.
I still see no valid reason why semi-automatics are for sale. People can argue all they want about how they need them for self defence and similar issues, but why not use something else? Yeah, a semi-auto is quicker. That's actually kinda the point. It really baffles me that people would rather keep them legal so they can shoot dead an intruder slightly quicker, even though a single missed shot would 9.9 times out of 10 have them running anyway, and are quite happy to essentially risk the lives of countless other good and innocent people for this. Keeping them legal is allowing people access to them that shouldn't have them. Look at all the shootings that have been carried out with them. So many people killed in such little time. It's exactly the same reason school shooters choose them too.

It's a gun. A material item. It's not part of of person. Full gun control or not, semi-automatics are unnecessary for personal use. Invest in some home security.

People argue that their lives can be on the line, and that's why guns are necessary. That doesn't mean semi-autos are necessary. That doesn't mean they actually need anything. The chances of anyone needing that gun because of an attack during a home invasion are so incredibly slim. Do the lives of those killed by these guns not matter? Are people really that incredibly selfish to say that these guns should stay up for sale because they need them, meaning they're up for sale to those who will use them in things like the Orlando shooting?

Another thing, though. Weed. You can have you own gun, no matter the purpose. Hell, you can have your own arsenal of guns. Weed though? Hell no, that's dangerous. Sorry sir, we'll have to arrest you for that.

These guns can be converted to fully automatic guns. Yes, it's illegal. When have people been so interested in following the law? It's not like the FBI will show up at someone's door as soon as they make that last alteration to their semi-auto. The easiest way of knowing if someone has illegally altered their gun? When it's taken as evidence after a shooting.

That's my two cents. Really though, this is ridiculous. There is no valid explanation as to why they should be legal. America needs to sort this out as a matter of priority.
[video="youtube;RolEI5n4Jxs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RolEI5n4Jxs[/video]

He's from South Africa. I would only live in that basketcase if I had a gun licence and a house with an electric fence and an ominously named rape gate
Original post by Magic Member
Correct. I can't stand Britbongs who think they are experts on American law.

You can purchase automatic weapons created before a certain date but as I'm sure you can imagine the price is extremely inflated (by tens of thousands of dollars) to the point where only the most wealthy people can afford them and generally it's not wealthy people who are the cause of America's gun crime epidemic. It's poor people with illegal firearms which would not stop if the leftists take the guns.

Im pro gun control just so you know. Less guns equals less school shootings as far as im concerned. I like to think that ive stopped caring about american politics but people are dying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lime-man
Im pro gun control just so you know. Less guns equals less school shootings as far as im concerned. I like to think that ive stopped caring about american politics but people are dying

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's fine, I'm not ideologically pro-gun as such. I am happier that guns are severely restricted in this country because it's not part of our culture and there are few legitimate uses for them in this country.
Original post by chelseadagg3r
America needs to sort this out as a matter of priority.

Semi-automatics are legal in the UK if they are shotguns (rifles technically legal under section 5). I'd rather be shot by an AR-15 than a Saiga-12 any day. Anyone with a shotgun license can pick up a used Saiga-12 for about £600.

See how evil a Saiga-12 looks:

Latest

Trending

Trending