The Student Room Group

COMP3 - JUN 2016 Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Also do we need to know the 'methodology of simulation'? The spec only says 'be familiar with simple simulation techniques involving queues' but there's 4 whole pages on the methodology of simulation.
FML, i just realised comp3 is on wed. I thought it was on a Friday.
I got 12 hours and 2 days to get an A* in comp3
been bloody binge watching OITNB
here is my comp3 revision btw

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources/computing-comp3-revision

...i'm a bit stressed urg
Original post by KnightCode
here is my comp3 revision btw

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/g/resources/computing-comp3-revision

...i'm a bit stressed urg

Im a bit screwed too I have C3 tuesday and C4 friday COMP3 is right in the middle ;(
Reply 44
The specification says that

'Candidates should be able to compare local area networking withstandalone operation.'

But I can't find any resources that actually explain either of those,
Original post by Yendis
The specification says that

'Candidates should be able to compare local area networking withstandalone operation.'

But I can't find any resources that actually explain either of those,

I think its just the first half of page 179. I cant find anything else either. I dont think you need to know much more than the definition of both and that stand-alone computers have their own printers etc.
Although can anyone tell me what physical and logical network topologies are? And also what 'practical experiece' should we have of writing server side scripts?
Hmmm, 2 days to learn the course? I got this...
Reply 48
Original post by Ainsleyy
Although can anyone tell me what physical and logical network topologies are? And also what 'practical experiece' should we have of writing server side scripts?

Physical is the topology structure, logical topology is how data is sent in the connecting cables, stuff on avoiding collisions and efficiency of data transmission.

To do with Server Side scripts, I want to know as well. I think you just need to be able to write simple server side scripts (thats what is says in the spec).
Reply 49
we need to memorise pseudo codes???
Original post by Teee123
we need to memorise pseudo codes???

I dont think so. I think we just need to dry run through them and recognise an algorithm when we see one but someone on here thinks we do need to. Im personally not going to bother learning them I dont have enough time.
Reply 51
I think its just the first half of page 179. I cant find anything else either. I dont think you need to know much more than the definition of both and that stand-alone computers have their own printers etc.

Where in the textbook can you find any information about stand-alone computers??

Honestly, I think networking is really hard to learn in this subject since there are so FEW resources that actually relate to our spec
Original post by Yendis
Where in the textbook can you find any information about stand-alone computers??

Honestly, I think networking is really hard to learn in this subject since there are so FEW resources that actually relate to our spec

Its like no one does this exam. The only resources I know are multiwingspan and wikibooks. For stand alone computers they literally have 1 point about it on the side. And i cant find anything in wikibooks or multiwingspan so if it comes up then oh well surely everyone will find it hard.
Reply 53
Its like no one does this exam. The only resources I know are multiwingspan and wikibooks. For stand alone computers they literally have 1 point about it on the side. And i cant find anything in wikibooks or multiwingspan so if it comes up then oh well surely everyone will find it hard.

I've been going through 2012 - 2015 papers and so far, no questions about stand-alone operation have come up.

The only question that baffled me was:

Attachment not found

(June 2013, question 5(f))

The answers for this question are something that CANT be found in any resource, if anyone could correct me, please do
Original post by Yendis
I've been going through 2012 - 2015 papers and so far, no questions about stand-alone operation have come up.

The only question that baffled me was:

Attachment not found

(June 2013, question 5(f))

The answers for this question are something that CANT be found in any resource, if anyone could correct me, please do

I think you just have to talk about gateways connecting different protocols and routers connecting the same protocols. Talk about how if a gateway or router knows where to send a packet (it will check its routing tables) then it will and if not it will pass the packet onto the next gateway or router in the hierarchy. And I guess for the packet getting to the gateway from the computer you mention that its a bus topology and maybe mention the network card in the computer?

I think all of this and good grammar and full sentences should get you a good amount of marks? What does the mark scheme say?

One question that i was so angry about is question 3d in June 2015. Check the mark scheme it is unbelievable what they want you to write. The ONE paragraph in the book about sub netting doesnt mention an AND operation. I looked at the examiners report and less than one quarter of students even scored 1 mark in that question!! Imagine writing a question that isnt in the book and less than 1/4 of people even get one mark! Its unbelievable.
Reply 55
I think you just have to talk about gateways connecting different protocols and routers connecting the same protocols. Talk about how if a gateway or router knows where to send a packet (it will check its routing tables) then it will and if not it will pass the packet onto the next gateway or router in the hierarchy. And I guess for the packet getting to the gateway from the computer you mention that its a bus topology and maybe mention the network card in the computer?

I think all of this and good grammar and full sentences should get you a good amount of marks? What does the mark scheme say?

One question that i was so angry about is question 3d in June 2015. Check the mark scheme it is unbelievable what they want you to write. The ONE paragraph in the book about sub netting doesnt mention an AND operation. I looked at the examiners report and less than one quarter of students even scored 1 mark in that question!! Imagine writing a question that isnt in the book and less than 1/4 of people even get one mark! Its unbelievable.

The mark scheme is pretty annoying as well!

Attachment not found

I don't see annnnny information about this in the textbooks or wikibooks

Oh, and for the subnet part:

They also mentioned AND operations! Something that isn't in any common resource for this subject.

I'm starting to panic since the information that I need to know for networking in this spec is becoming very hard to find!
Original post by Yendis
The mark scheme is pretty annoying as well!

Attachment not found

I don't see annnnny information about this in the textbooks or wikibooks

Oh, and for the subnet part:

They also mentioned AND operations! Something that isn't in any common resource for this subject.

I'm starting to panic since the information that I need to know for networking in this spec is becoming very hard to find!

Wow AND operations are in both mark schemes... I guess we better learn it then haha. I dont think you should worry because if you and I cant find it then who can? I think as long as you learn whats in the book and fill your knowledge out with all the pastpapers and wikibooks and multiwingspan then you should be fine. Thats what im doing anyway :/

Also another tip: look at the examiners report for a question you find really hard. They say what students did wrong and what they were looking for. And they say how well everyone did so it may make you feel more confident if you see that most students got it wrong too.
Reply 57
Wow AND operations are in both mark schemes... I guess we better learn it then haha. I dont think you should worry because if you and I cant find it then who can? I think as long as you learn whats in the book and fill your knowledge out with all the pastpapers and wikibooks and multiwingspan then you should be fine. Thats what im doing anyway :/

Also another tip: look at the examiners report for a question you find really hard. They say what students did wrong and what they were looking for. And they say how well everyone did so it may make you feel more confident if you see that most students got it wrong too.

That's my plan too. Hopefully I won't get bummed over this exam (since it's my last) and i never thought of checking the examiner's report, i dont really pay attention to it ^^;

Thank you for the advice/help!
Reply 58
One day left and I just started Communication Methods. Still have to do networks, server side and security. s**t.
Reply 59
I have to learn the entire IT3 course, the entire COMP3 course and the entire F293 Business course in one day for 3 exams tomorrow... You guys have it easy.

(Ive failed.)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply