The Student Room Group

Edexcel Physics U4 IAL (WPH04/1)

Scroll to see replies

do we have to use area to calculate charge when calculating the capacitance in the second last question?
Reply 21
Original post by skeletonboy1
yeah as i remember, and we only need to resolve when calculating velocities but no need when calculating K.E. right?

Yep.
Reply 22
Original post by omar5478
I got 3.41, I believe I calculated it by (6.9 - 6cos30)/cos60 (total horizental momentum before = total horizental momentum after)

Ah yes. That's what I did! I guess I must have gotten the same, just can't remember it
Original post by AvWOW
yup I did the same.
haha everyone was saying they remembered it from IGCSE and I was like "what really"

Oh ffs that actually makes sense. I guess I could say goodbye to the A*
Reply 24
The only irritating question was the change of momentum of the alpha particle, how did you do that ??

I've forgotten the question, but I think it had something to do with E_k = p^2/(2m) or something along those lines.
Reply 25
Oh ffs that actually makes sense. I guess I could say goodbye to the A*

Hey that was just 3 marks.. I'm prob losing more than that
Original post by Zacken
I've forgotten the question, but I think it had something to do with E_k = p^2/(2m) or something along those lines.

yeah i used that equation too but i used a mass of 2u instead of 4u fml
Reply 27
do we have to use area to calculate charge when calculating the capacitance in the second last question?

Yeah I did
Original post by Zacken

I did that to calculate the initial momentum (7.8 * 10^something) but didn't know how to progress beyond that.

Edit: I just figured out that this value would be the change of momentum because at minimum seperation there would be no velocity. I didn't write that down though and wrote F = p/t below the calculation, do you know how many marks would I lose ??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Zacken

A question very similar came up in January 2016
Question 18 C

Papers and Markschemes
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1ZiqBksUHNYRGN5em5NNENweE0&usp=drive_web&tid=0B1ZiqBksUHNYUnR2ZW5PcGhLQWM
for the mc questions:
deflection is higher or lower?
momentum change = sqrt(2)p?
Reply 31
I did that to calculate the initial momentum but didn't know how to progress beyond that.

You'll get a mark at least.
Reply 32
I think I messed up the question about the wavelength. I used E=hf and then c=f(lamda) which I think could be right...
But then I confused getting Ek. How was that supposed to be done?
Reply 33

Yep, Q16 also came up as Q11 in ours. Q15 came up in ours as well. It's basically the same paper with different numbers.

for the mc questions:
deflection is higher or lower?
momentum change = sqrt(2)p?

Dunno what the deflection bit you're talking about is. Are you talking about the last question about exiting the field? If so, it exits at C.

Momentum change = 2p.
Reply 34
I got 3.41, I believe I calculated it by (6.9 - 6cos30)/cos60 (total horizental momentum before = total horizental momentum after)

3.41 is correct and collision is wlastic
Reply 35

3.41 is correct and collision is elastic
I would say this is quite a fair paper without a lot of those tricky explaining questions that need you to think
Reply 37
Do you divide the wavelength you got by 2?
divided the energy by two... i worried they might deduct marks if i divide the wavelength instead
what did you do in the last part of the capacitor question that a calculation was needed?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending