The Student Room Group

Who's doing GCSE Further maths?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
How did everyone find it?
Original post by BW999

Seemed like a reasonable paper, the one about the obtuse angle was a tough one though. I couldn't answer that one.
I spent so long on the question about the trapezium. I decided to come back to the cubic graph but ran out of time.

How did you guys find it?
Original post by gregy521
Seemed like a reasonable paper, the one about the obtuse angle was a tough one though. I couldn't answer that one.

You had to use the trig identity: sin^2x + cos^2x = 1. Put in the x value (or theta value) and then solve for cos, eventually ending up with the +/- square root of 5/6 and as it was an obtuse angle it had to be a negative value, ending up with -5/6. XD
Original post by BW999

First half was great..the second half was just annoying...

🏹🍆Never under estimate the power of a common pikachu🍆🏹
Original post by BW999

It was a very nice paper, apart from the cubic graph, took me twenty minutes to find out what k equalled. I got 9?
Reply 106
Did anyone else get k=0 on the graph one? Vast range of answers from everyone in my class, I was pretty confident with mine only to have it shattered by uncertainty :s-smilie:
Original post by PrinceKian
It was a very nice paper, apart from the cubic graph, took me twenty minutes to find out what k equalled. I got 9?

I decided to out 5 for that one..with no working out what so ever...

Reply 108
Original post by PrinceKian

Yeah, I got the same. I think that's right.
Reply 109
Original post by Saihan
Yeah, I got the same. I think that's right.

Ouch, I appear to have forgotten to take away the 3rd 9 so I put 0... I suppose I'll still pick up 3-4 marks?
Reply 110
Original post by BW999
Did anyone else get k=0 on the graph one? Vast range of answers from everyone in my class, I was pretty confident with mine only to have it shattered by uncertainty :s-smilie:

I got that but i think the answer was 9.
how did people do the last q? i used the cosine rune but then was stumped after a few more steps
Original post by Obnox

The answer was definitely 9. You calculate the point where it touches the X axis (And so equals zero Y) and then you work out what it is at the X value so when worked out, it was -9. As it was at 0Y, then K must be 9 to make it zero.
My marks will be somewhere in the range of 35-43

So my A is still in sight need about 45 on the next paper
Reply 114
Original post by gregy521
The answer was definitely 9. You calculate the point where it touches the X axis (And so equals zero Y) and then you work out what it is at the X value so when worked out, it was -9. As it was at 0Y, then K must be 9 to make it zero.

I worked out the points on the x axis but didnt have enough time to put x back into the equation, but i will get at least 3 marks for method?
Reply 115
Original post by Obnox

Glad to see someone slipped up in the same way I did, let's hope for generous method marks so we can still get 4 :tongue:
Original post by MadJester
My marks will be somewhere in the range of 35-43

So my A is still in sight need about 45 on the next paper

I think I'll just touch 35 on this paper...I hope to do a lot better in the second paper...

Original post by Obnox
I worked out the points on the x axis but didnt have enough time to put x back into the equation, but i will get at least 3 marks for method?

2 or 3 marks for getting most of the way there will easily be possible.
Reply 118
Original post by BW999
Glad to see someone slipped up in the same way I did, let's hope for generous method marks so we can still get 4 :tongue:

Looking back at it now the question was really simple and i could of done it straight away without have to go back to it at the end of the exam :frown:, but i think i got at least 65% which will probably be an A/A*.

Im glad i wrote down some stuff for other questions i couldnt work out like the last question and one or two others so i can get method marks:smile:.
Reply 119
So you know for the matric question were we suppose to multiply the numerater and denominator of the first matric by 4 or were we suppose to multipy just the numerator by 4?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest