The Student Room Group

Edexcel Biology B3 Predictions

Exam is tomorrow. What are the likely topics to turn up?
Reply 1
Probably something on fermenters, Edexcel love the thing.

Can some one explain to me how to make lactose free milk, it seems so complicated I dont have a clue!
Reply 2
Original post by FenixZ
Probably something on fermenters, Edexcel love the thing.

Can some one explain to me how to make lactose free milk, it seems so complicated I dont have a clue!

Milk contains a natural sugar which is lactose.
People who are lactose intolerant are unable to consume the sugar, lactose, as they have a deficiency of the enzyme lactase which converts lactose into smaller sugars. If they consume lactose the bacteria in the gut feed of the sugar which causes abdominal pain and diarrhoea.
To produce lactose free milk, the enzyme lactase is immobilised as its encapsulated in sodium alginate beads. The milk is then passed through the beads, and the lactose in the milk is converted into smaller sugars, glucose and galactose, which can be absorbed into the bloodstream.
How did it go? what did everyone get for the percentage decrease?
I was an idiot and put 50% instead of 0 for the haemophilia question and it was a trick question 😭
Original post by a-mariaa28
I was an idiot and put 50% instead of 0 for the haemophilia question and it was a trick question 😭

what about the one about glucose decrease
Original post by astronomer99
what about the one about glucose decrease

I put 47 but a lot of people have put 52

I got 53 because i knew 50% of 170 was 85, and the answer was 80 decrease to so had to be bit more than 50, so i did 17-80=90, then 90/170x100 i think. I got0% for haemophilia
Reply 8
In the fermentation question that asked what gas is added for the growth. What was the answer? I put oxygen then changed it to nitrogen in the last 10 mins of the exam! Because oxygen is added but for respiration. But I know nitrates are added which are converted to nitrogen for growth
Reply 9
Original post by hegsm1
In the fermentation question that asked what gas is added for the growth. What was the answer? I put oxygen then changed it to nitrogen in the last 10 mins of the exam! Because oxygen is added but for respiration. But I know nitrates are added which are converted to nitrogen for growth

I said the gas was carbon dioxide because I'm positive it said they were photosynthetic.
Reply 10
I also put carbon dioxide as the gas which is pumped in. It did say photosynthetic.
Also, I put thickening the uterus wall for the menstrual cycle multiple choice.
Reply 11
I said it was ovulation but I think it was menstruation.

same i put 52 crossed it out then put 47 on last minute

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending