The Student Room Group

I got a U??!!

So I do triple science and for physics and chemistry I think I got a U because I didn't get over 20 marks so how badly will effect my overall grade? In the rest of the units I think I did pretty well C's and above and in my controlled assessment I got an A so what effect will the U's have in my overall grade? :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by 0lut0
So I do triple science and for physics and chemistry I think I got a U because I didn't get over 20 marks so how badly will effect my overall grade? In the rest of the units I think I did pretty well C's and above and in my controlled assessment I got an A so what effect will the U's have in my overall grade? :frown:

Do you know you've definitely got a U or are you just guessing?
Reply 2
Original post by luciie
Do you know you've definitely got a U or are you just guessing?

I'm certain on C3 and P3 that i've got a U I left lots of blanks...
Look online for previous grade boundaries for other years. If you reckon you could work out roughly what you got in each exam, look at the grade and UMS it adds up to, then see what UMS and what grade that would give you overall. Prepare for the worst, better to be pleasantly surprised than extremely disappointed, but I'm sure you did better than you think. :smile: It's over now, so there's no point in worrying. Just enjoy your summer and forget about that for now. :h:
Original post by 0lut0
I'm certain on C3 and P3 that i've got a U I left lots of blanks...

Some year (I don't know whether this was on Unit 3) but 11/60 has been a D, which still carries 50 UMS; have you not even got this? I know I haven't even got this on P2 but oh well.
I doubt 20/60 is a U.
Reply 6
20 marks is usually a D and sometimes a C if you're lucky. So I think you will be able to make it to an overall C
Reply 7
Original post by Jamie Vardy
Some year (I don't know whether this was on Unit 3) but 11/60 has been a D, which still carries 50 UMS; have you not even got this? I know I haven't even got this on P2 but oh well.

How do they work out your overall grade? Where can I work it out
Original post by 0lut0
How do they work out your overall grade? Where can I work it out

It's all about UMS. It's quite long to explain, but I'm gussing you're on AQA?

Basically each unit in each scicne is out of 100, so 400 for the whole qualification:
Unit 1 (P1) - 100
Unit 2 (P2) - 100
Unit 3 (P3) - 100
Unit 4 (ISA) - 100

These are the UMS grade boundaries for each unit (out of 100)
90 - A*
80 - A
70 - B
60 - C so on...

So basically, the raw grade you get in your exam out of 60 is converted into a UMS out of 100. To see how it is converted in previous years follow this link: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

They add up the UMS out of 100 you get in the 4 units and this equals a number out of 400. The UMS grade boundaries out of 400 are as follows:
A* - 360
A - 320
B - 280
C - 240

Here is a useful video that may explain it better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frc34CbUaiE

This is really confusing I know, I understand it now but the majority of people, even teachers, don't :smile:
Original post by romansholiday
It's all about UMS. It's quite long to explain, but I'm gussing you're on AQA?

Basically each unit in each scicne is out of 100, so 400 for the whole qualification:
Unit 1 (P1) - 100
Unit 2 (P2) - 100
Unit 3 (P3) - 100
Unit 4 (ISA) - 100

These are the UMS grade boundaries for each unit (out of 100)
90 - A*
80 - A
70 - B
60 - C so on...

So basically, the raw grade you get in your exam out of 60 is converted into a UMS out of 100. To see how it is converted in previous years follow this link: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/results-days/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums

They add up the UMS out of 100 you get in the 4 units and this equals a number out of 400. The UMS grade boundaries out of 400 are as follows:
A* - 360
A - 320
B - 280
C - 240

Here is a useful video that may explain it better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frc34CbUaiE

This is really confusing I know, I understand it now but the majority of people, even teachers, don't :smile:

I might be wrong but isn't 290 UMS a B? Unless it's just because I'm doing Double Award...
Original post by Jamie Vardy
I might be wrong but isn't 290 UMS a B? Unless it's just because I'm doing Double Award...

No. It's a total of 400 UMS. 90% is an A*, 80% an A, 70% a B etc. These percentages are standard for every single qualification.
U'll get what u deserve for leaving those blanks laddie

Spoiler

Original post by 0lut0

I'm sorry to say mate, as a teacher (professional for 25yrs) you've flopped your life, forget school, education and life, you're wasting your potential on being a garbage man. Good luck in the future hope all goes well :smile:
Original post by Bendoverforme
I'm sorry to say mate, as a teacher (professional for 25yrs) you've flopped your life, forget school, education and life, you're wasting your potential on being a garbage man. Good luck in the future hope all goes well :smile:

Shut up you ****

OP a 20 is a D usually(55UMS..since its high it may be 58 UMS)

If you get a C,C,D and a A on the ISA u can get a C overall

Dw i'm sure you did better than expected
How are you doing triple science if you only got D's? (Btw, 20/60 is not a U because an E is like 15)

Quick Reply

Latest