The Student Room Group

WJEC Physics 2016

Hi!
I'm retaking the PH4 and PH5 physics exams with WJEC this Summer of 2016. I have only just noticed the change in specifications at http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/physics/physics-gce-a-as/ and am super concerned, since I am revising alone!
I was wondering what anyone else taking these exams thought about the new specification?
I have the 2012 edition of the WJEC Study and Revision Guide and am using past papers and physicsandmathstutor but I don't think this will be enough!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
If you are resitting the PH4 and PH5 then they will be the old specification papers and not from the new specification. The new spec papers for A2 will not be out until summer 2017 as this years A2 students are still on the old spec - Don't panic just keep revising from the 2012 book and do past paper questions and you will be fine!

Good luck!
Nick
Reply 2
Thank you so much for the reply - I got an email back from WJEC this morning so the panic is over! :smile:

Original post by nftb99
Hi,
If you are resitting the PH4 and PH5 then they will be the old specification papers and not from the new specification. The new spec papers for A2 will not be out until summer 2017 as this years A2 students are still on the old spec - Don't panic just keep revising from the 2012 book and do past paper questions and you will be fine!

Good luck!
Nick
Original post by Kikstar
Thank you so much for the reply - I got an email back from WJEC this morning so the panic is over! :smile:

Hey, I'm also doing these 2 exams, how are you finding revision ?
Reply 4
It's a little tricky because the exam board isn't very well known and so there aren't really hard questions to do except past papers and if you don't understand your mistake from the mark scheme then think harder!! I'm wondering whether it would help to do Edexcel, OCR or AQA papers, though. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
What do you guys think of the case study? How much work have you done in it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Took
What do you guys think of the case study? How much work have you done in it?

Not nearly enough, I'm not enjoying the breadth of it all; there are far to many PH1 and PH2 things it could make reference too which I am not well versed in.
Original post by Callumdg
Not nearly enough, I'm not enjoying the breadth of it all; there are far to many PH1 and PH2 things it could make reference too which I am not well versed in.

The case study seems awful this year, loads of the particle physics from PH2 could come up, hate synoptic questions!!
Reply 8
I re-sat PH2 this year so I should be okay :smile: I've gone over all the paragraphs and annotated, so basically trying to get to know the topic really well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I really dont understand this bit of Physics can any one help me please?

physics.jpg
Reply 10
Hey! Moles= the mass (in g)/ Mr
The Mr is the relative atomic mass of an atom and so remember that if it is diatomic then it is 2*Mr but they would give you that in the exam, I think. eg Mr of O is 16 but for O2 it's 32.
So if you want the mass in kg it's the mass/1000! Let me know if that doesn't make sense haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kikstar
Hey! Moles= the mass (in g)/ Mr
The Mr is the relative atomic mass of an atom and so remember that if it is diatomic then it is 2*Mr but they would give you that in the exam, I think. eg Mr of O is 16 but for O2 it's 32.
So if you want the mass in kg it's the mass/1000! Let me know if that doesn't make sense haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh hokay, thank you !!
How did everyone find that?
Ugh i really didnt like it what did everyone get for the final temp on the specific heat capacity question? I got 66 :/
Original post by SoThisIsStresful
Ugh i really didnt like it what did everyone get for the final temp on the specific heat capacity question? I got 66 :/

I couldn't do that one, nor the very last question on the paper. :/ Hopefully grade boundaries will be reasonable.
Original post by Hydeman
I couldn't do that one, nor the very last question on the paper. :/ Hopefully grade boundaries will be reasonable.

Me neither, i kept on getting a negative mass. Fingers crossed for low boundaties people!
The worst paper ever
Me neither, i kept on getting a negative mass. Fingers crossed for low boundaties people!

Let's hope. :smile:
Reply 18

I got 65.8 :smile:

I actually really liked that paper. I couldn't get the 51km question (I kept getting 49) but I might have actually got 95%+.

But I'm not looking forward to PH5...

yep I got 66 too! :smile:

I didn't think the paper was too bad, but I can still see why people may find some questions tricky since some of them were a bit odd

now for ph5!

Quick Reply