The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IrrationalRoot
I found that the Qs from the second section were pretty short too, just harder.

Original post by Insight314
STEP = long questions? What?

I'm sensing some repressed beef

let it all out lads
Original post by StrangeBanana

let it all out lads

Shut up blud

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2022
Original post by physicsmaths

let it all out lads
Original post by Insight314
Has anyone ever asked @Christ's Admissions how Cambridge feels about Mathmos meeting STEP but missing their A-level offer? I remember there was discussion on this thread and the Cambridge one about this, and with all the statistics around it, it seems like Cambridge mostly cares about STEP due to how big of an indicator it is for success in the Tripos. I guess asking @Christ's Admissions may be more useful in answering this question?

This is a previous thread we ran which has lots of useful information for mathematicians applying to Cambridge, probably including the answer to your question. The opinions it contains are those of our Director of Studies in Mathematics, Dr András Zsák, are apply to Peterhouse.

We'll be back with another 'Ask a mathematics interviewer' thread from 18th July to 2nd August.
Hey guys, did any of you have help from your school or have gotten a tutor to prepare for STEP? Or did you self-teach? :O
Original post by Chimaera
Hey guys, did any of you have help from your school or have gotten a tutor to prepare for STEP? Or did you self-teach? :O

I don't imagine many people have a tutor, STEP is mostly about doing the past papers and questions as you should already know the content from your A-Level courses. In fact, having a tutor will help you very little, in some schools there are classes, we have a few in my school, but they are just a case of going along and working by yourself and if you get stuck having a teacher there to help you. STEP is really daunting at first but it gets easier the more practice you do, work your way up from STEP I, and have fun while you do it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjsnyder
I don't imagine many people have a tutor, STEP is mostly about doing the past papers and questions as you should already know the content from your A-Level courses. In fact, having a tutor will help you very little, in some schools there are classes, we have a few in my school, but they are just a case of going along and working by yourself and if you get stuck having a teacher there to help you. STEP is really daunting at first but it gets easier the more practice you do, work your way up from STEP I, and have fun while you do it! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh I see! I just took the STEP II paper the other day actually. Came on here and everyone seems to have answered six questions pretty decently. Only managed four, two complete and two partial, so I was wondering what was wrong with me :/

Three thirty, main gates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone please help estimate what I could get? :x

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Self-taught. Sadly😅
Original post by betterthanbarbs
Self-taught. Sadly😅

ahh I see! :smile: Where you heading to?
Reply 2031
Anyone please help estimate what I could get? :x

Spoiler

17 + 8 + 11 + 20 = 56. Probs a 3, maybe a 2? Not sure.

And y_(2n) = z = 2(y_n)^2 - 1.
Original post by Zacken
17 + 8 + 11 + 20 = 56. Probs a 3, maybe a 2? Not sure.

And y_(2n) = z = 2(y_n)^2 - 1.

Ah okay thanks! I got that right then :x Was there a way to prove it or just based on common sense from the first two examples?

Any chance Imperial would take a 3? haha *cries*
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah okay thanks! I got that right then :x

Any chance Imperial would take a 3? haha

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/g100_admissions_statistics

Yes. 13 out of 69 accepted students taking STEP got no higher than 3

(Although requirements many have tightened since 2013)
Original post by jneill
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/g100_admissions_statistics

Yes. 13 out of 69 accepted students taking STEP got no higher than 3

(Although requirements many have tightened since 2013)

They haven't ,they have gotten looser I think since last year alot of people were offered step but this year it is much lower compared to lastbyear. Scores of around high 40s in MAT were still given offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imperial. I guess you too?? (From your other comments) Do you need a Grade 2 as well
ahh I see! :smile: Where you heading to?
could someone give me a subtle hint for III q3 2015?

Spoiler

They haven't ,they have gotten looser I think since last year alot of people were offered step but this year it is much lower compared to lastbyear. Scores of around high 40s in MAT were still given offers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got pretty low 30s xP :ashamed:

Original post by betterthanbarbs
Imperial. I guess you too?? (From your other comments) Do you need a Grade 2 as well

Yep! xD I need a 1 in II and 2 in III :x was hoping for a 2 in last week's paper but I think that ship has sailed. FeelsBadMan

How about you?
Original post by Hauss

let it all out lads

m8
Original post by EnglishMuon
could someone give me a subtle hint for III q3 2015?

Spoiler

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending