The Student Room Group

Is political correctness more important than truth?

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
NEVER!
Original post by Mathemagicien
Should we emphasise the importance of political factuality over traditional 'actual' facts?

Some traditional 'actual' facts cause a lot of offense, wouldn't it be so much nicer if we replaced those traditional 'actual' facts with politically proper facts?

For example, instead of saying that those of larger frames are more likely to be ill, why don't we just say weight doesn't matter in health? Then everyone would be happy.

This is a pretty loaded question lol. But if politicians etc. sugarcoat things, things won't change.
People who complain about PC having "gone crazy" are usually the people who, instead of saying, "obesity can be a life threatening life choice", say "fat people are disgusting I wouldn't go near one ever". You can be factual without being rude.

This isn't aimed at OP in any way, it's just my opinion on PC, that's all. :redface:
Reply 4
Should we emphasise the importance of political factuality over traditional 'actual' facts?

Some traditional 'actual' facts cause a lot of offense, wouldn't it be so much nicer if we replaced those traditional 'actual' facts with politically proper facts?

For example, instead of saying that those of larger frames are more likely to be ill, why don't we just say weight doesn't matter in health? Then everyone would be happy.

Some traditional 'actual' facts can be oppressive. Lots of regimes have used traditional 'actual' facts - often specially picked, distorted and stuff - to support their oppression of people. E.g. the US in the 1930s saw whites as superior, because they performed better in IQ tests - which only measure 'hard intelligence', rather than emotional intelligence and all the important stuff - and used this to justify racial segregation.

Of course, we'd have to consider what the punishment would be for those who espouse traditional 'actual' facts. Perhaps we should see traditional 'actual' facts as hate speech - which is what they are, really. Why would you talk about traditional 'actual' facts, rather than political facts, unless you had some nasty agenda?

No.

Facts don't cause offence, people being too sensitive causes it.

What have you been taking?

You're full of ****.

Strong sarcasm game bro.

Of course, we'd have to consider what the punishment would be for those who espouse traditional 'actual' facts.

Have you been reading 1984 recently?
I couldn't go through its entirety, it was full of offensive words :frown:

Should have just done some doublethink
These are the things I'm talking about. Its like institutional weightism, when doctors and all government institutions tell us being large is bad. Wouldn't it be nicer if the government issued statements like "obesity is a natural and healthy life choice", and forced people to believe them?

I can't tell if you're agreeing with me or not:redface:
Reply 9
This thread is a safe space, don't criticise me, you bigot :cry2:
*looks around*

Nothing stopped me from coming in. There is no safe here.
Being PC is not bad as long as it doesn't get in the way of the truth. Going to a person and telling them "Hey, you're from a certain group that performs poorly in IQ tests", while may be true, is not constructive in anyway, then why say it?
Telling people to get thin is constructive as they can do something about it, telling someone they're ugly or stupid, for example, isn't constructive so I personally choose to avoid doing so unless I have to.
Facts are facts and how you employ them is a matter of common sense. Being slightly overweight will have negligible health consequences for example, whereas being morbidly obese will obviously shorten your lifespan. Also, while it is often used as an excuse by the unfit/overweight, the way we measure obesity tends to be via BMI which is a pretty rudimentary tool. For example my brother at his peak fitness was halfway towards being morbidly obese because it's a simple scale that assumed all mass is fat. On the other hand, if you have enough muscle mass to truly throw off the BMI scale, you probably don't need to worry.

I do find it curious you've chosen this as an example though and believe that people are not being told enough that being overweight is bad for them, when there is constant societal pressure to be thin and this has driven many people into having eating disorders such as bulimia and anorexia. I would suggest that if anything is required, it is a more moderate message and acceptance that a few extra pounds isn't going to kill you at 40.
Original post by Tootles
*looks around*

Nothing stopped me from coming in. There is no safe here.

Please respect the safe space otherwise we will have to ask you to leave in a nonconfronational manner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Please respect the safe space otherwise we will have to ask you to leave in a nonconfronational manner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Someone hasn't been on TSR long enough to know that nothing is sacred :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest