The Student Room Group

Poll: AQA Physics PHYA4 – 20th June 2016

This poll is closed

How difficult was the AQA Unit 4 Physics exam? (June 2016)

Very hard 8%
Hard 26%
Okay 50%
Easy 14%
Very easy2%
Total votes: 427
This should give some indication of the grade boundaries.

These are the A and A* boundaries from previous years:
June 2010: 48 (54 A*) 18/25 + 30/50
June 2011: 50 (56 A*) 18/25 + 32/50
June 2012: 51 (57 A*) 20/25 + 31/50
January 2013: 51 (57 A*) 20/25 + 31/50
June 2013: 53 (60 A*) 19/25 + 34/50
June 2014: 53 (61 A*) 19/25 + 34/50
June 2015: 49 (54 A*) 19/25 + 30/50

Poll for June 2014: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=39704

Poll for June 2013: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=41067949&highlight=phya4%202015%20poll
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

damn that's a nice bell curve
Reply 2
Original post by MintyMilk

*Statistics flashbacks ensue*
Original post by ombtom
This should give some indication of the grade boundaries.

How many marks would my graph be? Assuming I probably done the shape wrong :s-smilie:

I got for V, -mv/N-m, I think I read that N was the initial mass -_- Another 3 marks gone
Reply 4
Original post by particlestudent
How many marks would my graph be? Assuming I probably done the shape wrong :s-smilie:

If it was out of 3 marks then you'd get 1 for the curve reaching 0. Possibly another mark for having the 0 point closer to Venus. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ombtom
If it was out of 3 marks then you'd get 1 for the curve reaching 0. I doubt you'd get any more. :frown:

I was so confident my shape was right :frown:. What would the other 2 marks be? Wouldn't it reaching 9.81 and 8.87 be one :s-smilie:
Reply 6
I was so confident my shape was right :frown:. What would the other 2 marks be? Wouldn't it reaching 9.81 and 8.87 be one :s-smilie:

One would be for the right shape. One might be for having the minimum closer to Venus. (Edited my last post to say you might get 2.)
Reply 7

I think the point where the curves touch on the x axis being closer to Venus would be one mark and the fact that the curve for Earth starts higher than the one for Venus. The last would be for shapes I think
Original post by ombtom
One would be for the right shape. One might be for having the minimum closer to Venus. (Edited my last post to say you might get 2.)

Okay cool. Do you remember the questions and their respective marks by the way? For the one about the energy change, I done 1/2(C)(V)^2 for one voltage, and then again for the other voltage, I don't know if that was a possible way of doing it....

And I got for V, -mv/N-m, I think I read that N was the initial mass -_- Another 3 marks gone
Reply 9
The paper was defo easier than last year but not the easiest paper either. Fair I'd say. The usual questions that cause problems (EM induction/6 marker) were quite forgiving but the usual questions which are easier, turned out to be more difficult (kinetic energy/momentum). Expect boundaries to rise by maybe 3 marks for each grade?
Original post by TajwarC
The paper was defo easier than last year but not the easiest paper either. Fair I'd say. The usual questions that cause problems (EM induction/6 marker) were quite forgiving but the usual questions which are easier, turned out to be more difficult (kinetic energy/momentum). Expect boundaries to rise by maybe 3 marks for each grade?

At the moment without the paper to see the mark of each question, I don't know what to say I got :biggrin:
very very easy, perfect questions and no dodgy/damping flux questions, absolutely loved the gravitational questions in section B
Original post by TajwarC

Yes, I agree - I reckon 120 UMS will be 62/75 and A* will be 57/75.

Section B was quite a lot easier than last year's (although had quite a few wordy questions). Section A (multi-choice) was quite a bit harder.

It had similar difficulty to all the papers before June 2013 in my opinion.
Original post by Cadherin
Yes, I agree - I reckon 120 UMS will be 62/75 and A* will be 57/75.

Section B was quite a lot easier than last year's (although had quite a few wordy questions). Section A (multi-choice) was quite a bit harder.

It had similar difficulty to all the papers before June 2013 in my opinion.

Hmm, I'd say the 120 boundary will rise more than the others - people capable of getting 120 UMS would have probably scored around 65-68. A*-B boundaries should rise and the C boundary should remain roughly the same (it's stayed the same before, even when the A*/A/B boundaries changed).

But yeah the MC was a bit trickier, some repeated questions however
Isn't there a June 2015 poll so we can compare for a rough idea?
Original post by MintyMilk

Howd you find the paper? Did you get the energgy derivation?
Reply 16
Isn't there a June 2015 poll so we can compare for a rough idea?

If you can find it please share! :eek:
Original post by ombtom
If you can find it please share! :eek:

Trying to find it but can't :s-smilie:. I found some other poll though but it's meaningless...

I had the June 2015 as a mock and I definitely scored better on that than this. I don't understand what all the fuss about June2015 was, apart from the damping question, was it really that bad?:s-smilie:
Original post by philo-jitsu
Howd you find the paper? Did you get the energgy derivation?

Probably dropped 20 marks max, guessing more like 15 though, so I'll probably be right on the edge of an A* either way (which is what I planned for)

The momentum question was definitely strange, so I'd imagine the grade boundaries will be a couple marks lower just from that, otherwise I'd say it was a fairly standard paper.

Didn't get the 4 mark energy derivation, nor the 4 mark momentum question after that. Might pick up 1 or 2 marks for my scrawlings + giving the unit for momentum though, so by no means enough to ruin the paper.

Multiple choice was fairly standard too, though I didn't see that the object in question 2 was 2kg, so I ended up with 10 m/s as my answer... Pretty frustrated that I missed that since it was probably the easiest mark in the entire paper
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ombtom

The correct shape is a bit like a U right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending