The Student Room Group

A-level Economics or A-level Geography ??

Hi everyone, can anyone give me some advice as to whether I should choose Economics or Geography at A-level. I'm equally interested in both and in quite a dilemma. My other A-levels are Biology, History and Psychology could anyone tell me out of Geography and Economics which one would complement my other A-levels the most or which one is more respected by universities. I don't know what I want to do at university and im thinking perhaps Economics will be more beneficial to me as it will show a wider range of skills whereas History and Geography are both humanities. Please help, I need to submit my options by July 1st. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
How many times are you going to make this thread? You've had plenty of good answers already!
Reply 2
Original post by Leviathan1741
How many times are you going to make this thread? You've had plenty of good answers already!

Yh man, just trying to get as many peoples opinions as possible. Guess your right, Sorry if you find it annoying.
Original post by PG799
Yh man, just trying to get as many peoples opinions as possible. Guess your right, Sorry if you find it annoying.

Fair enough! I was just wondering why you kept posting the same question :tongue:
Original post by PG799
Hi everyone, can anyone give me some advice as to whether I should choose Economics or Geography at A-level. I'm equally interested in both and in quite a dilemma. My other A-levels are Biology, History and Psychology could anyone tell me out of Geography and Economics which one would complement my other A-levels the most or which one is more respected by universities. I don't know what I want to do at university and im thinking perhaps Economics will be more beneficial to me as it will show a wider range of skills whereas History and Geography are both humanities. Please help, I need to submit my options by July 1st. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Haven't seen the other threads, but eh...

Geography overlaps a LOT with biology, especially at A2, so it would complement the subjects the most. Biology also overlaps with psychology, more so at A2 with nervous transmission.

I wouldn't say geography is a pure humanities subject, I'd say it's classed as a social science like economics as most universities (I'm doing economics and geography at university this September hopefully).

Economics, right... I have a few friends who took it for AS and they hated it. Not to say that you'll hate it, but I recommend looking at the specification to see what topics they cover.

There is an aspect of numeracy with geography as you'll have to analyse and comment on graphs, tables and sometimes carry out statistical tests like standard deviation, Spearman's rank, chi-squared and Mann U-Whitney (the first 3 mentioned are also done in biology A level). However, economics will cover more.

Geography is seen as a more 'facilitating' subject than economics though, but economics is not that soft, compared to something like media studies.
Reply 5
Original post by Peppercrunch
Haven't seen the other threads, but eh...

Geography overlaps a LOT with biology, especially at A2, so it would complement the subjects the most. Biology also overlaps with psychology, more so at A2 with nervous transmission.

I wouldn't say geography is a pure humanities subject, I'd say it's classed as a social science like economics as most universities (I'm doing economics and geography at university this September hopefully).

Economics, right... I have a few friends who took it for AS and they hated it. Not to say that you'll hate it, but I recommend looking at the specification to see what topics they cover.

There is an aspect of numeracy with geography as you'll have to analyse and comment on graphs, tables and sometimes carry out statistical tests like standard deviation, Spearman's rank, chi-squared and Mann U-Whitney (the first 3 mentioned are also done in biology A level). However, economics will cover more.

Geography is seen as a more 'facilitating' subject than economics though, but economics is not that soft, compared to something like media studies.

Very helpfull, thank you.
Economics at AS is pretty fun and easy tbh. Not sure about geography, but economics is a great subject.
Economics isnt maths heavy at AS, not dure about at A2 (just started). Considering your other a level choices i would advise geography. (Less mathy)
Reply 7
Original post by pereira325
Economics at AS is pretty fun and easy tbh. Not sure about geography, but economics is a great subject.
Economics isnt maths heavy at AS, not dure about at A2 (just started). Considering your other a level choices i would advise geography. (Less mathy)

Thanks for the advice.
Reply 8
I take Geography, Biology, psychology and History (i choose geography over economics as economics had a high drop out rate.... so i guess its a lot harder!)
Original post by pereira325

I wouldn't say its maths heavy. It has maths in it but more like gcse maths. Like drawing graphs, calculating elasticity (You learn how to do this) and calculating other things. But you learn how to do it.
Reply 10
Original post by Zara0526
I take Geography, Biology, psychology and History (i choose geography over economics as economics had a high drop out rate.... so i guess its a lot harder!)

Thanks for the info.
I would try to think about what you may do at uni. If you were thinking of economics at uni, then I would try take economics AS and possibly further maths AS too. If geography, then 100% choose geography.

I guess if you are taking other subjects, look at their requirements at uni level and, if no particular subjects are needed, then its your choice! I guess, if you don't like maths, go for geography.

Quick Reply

Latest