The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Computing CG3 Exam - 22nd June 2016

I couldn't find a thread for this yet (it's as if no one likes WJEC's outdated syllabus) so here it is.
Everyone prepared for the exam on Wednesday?
Anyone have any predictions?
Anything anyone needs help with or is particularly stuck on?
Good luck guys!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm taking it!

I guess I'm prepared, but I need to get an A in this paper which could be 80 or higher, so I don't have much room for error! WJEC's strict mark schemes, only awarding marks for their specific WJEC-approved definitions, are leaving me pretty nervous. This is a re-take for me as well so I don't really have any excuses for not getting the grade.

Looking at past papers, programming languages seems overdue as a 12 marker. Not sure what other questions are likely to appear this time around.
Original post by jay_em
I'm taking it!

I guess I'm prepared, but I need to get an A in this paper which could be 80 or higher, so I don't have much room for error! WJEC's strict mark schemes, only awarding marks for their specific WJEC-approved definitions, are leaving me pretty nervous. This is a re-take for me as well so I don't really have any excuses for not getting the grade.

Looking at past papers, programming languages seems overdue as a 12 marker. Not sure what other questions are likely to appear this time around.

Yeah I feel you - to get an A overall I need 109/130 marks OTL
And WJEC is indeed stupid in that sense - last year, you had to have word for word "a picture speaks a thousand words" when describing Data Flow Diagrams. Ugh.
Thanks for the prediction, I'm not too good on languages so I'll revise them more :^)
Reply 3
Have you revised callbacks, firewalls, checksums, parity bits or CRCs at all? Just discovered them at the end of some notes Ronan Walters posted on here. Don't think they've ever come up in an exam, so I don't know if it's worth learning them now.
Original post by jay_em
Have you revised callbacks, firewalls, checksums, parity bits or CRCs at all? Just discovered them at the end of some notes Ronan Walters posted on here. Don't think they've ever come up in an exam, so I don't know if it's worth learning them now.

I haven't heard of most of them, and have never seen them in a past paper. It may be worth reading the notes and getting the jist of it, just in case though.
Reply 5
Original post by Deathinmycoffee
I haven't heard of most of them, and have never seen them in a past paper. It may be worth reading the notes and getting the jist of it, just in case though.

I doubt stuff like that will come up, for some reason wjec have the stupid habit of padding out their specs every bloody year only to have the same few topics come up every time.

I resat cg1 this year, the paper was on topics that had all essentially came up in the last 4 years of papers.
what percentage did you get in your CA???:cyber:
Reply 7
Original post by jay_em

Yo me neither but do you still have Ronan Walters notes. I saw them on the other thread but an error message come up when I click on the link. Any help would be appreciate.
Reply 8
Original post by Kane12
Yo me neither but do you still have Ronan Walters notes. I saw them on the other thread but an error message come up when I click on the link. Any help would be appreciate.

I don't have them saved, sorry, but the links all seem to be working for me?
Reply 9
Original post by jay_em
I don't have them saved, sorry, but the links all seem to be working for me?

Really? They haven't been working for me maybe I'm using an older thread can u please link me to the thread you have been using. Thanks .
Reply 10
Original post by Kane12
Really? They haven't been working for me maybe I'm using an older thread can u please link me to the thread you have been using. Thanks .

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64155169&highlight=
Reply 11

Linked Worked Thanks for the help and good luck tomorrow :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Kane12
Linked Worked Thanks for the help and good luck tomorrow :smile:

Thanks, you too!

So does anyone else have predictions for tomorrow's paper? A lot of repeated questions seems to be likely, as this is the second last CG3 paper to be sat.
Original post by Batmansdad
what percentage did you get in your CA???:cyber:

The coursework? Overall I think I got 77% which was a pleasant surprise, aha.
You guys?
Reply 14
I got 63/70 in CG4, which was a bit annoying as my teacher marked it at 70/70 so WJEC must have adjusted that.
Original post by jay_em
I got 63/70 in CG4, which was a bit annoying as my teacher marked it at 70/70 so WJEC must have adjusted that.

Do they get marked that quickly?
Reply 16
Original post by Denn1sT
Do they get marked that quickly?

Oh forgot to mention, this is a retake for me. I finished the course last year but crashed hard in CG3 so I'm trying it again...
Original post by jay_em
Oh forgot to mention, this is a retake for me. I finished the course last year but crashed hard in CG3 so I'm trying it again...

Ah fair enough.
Notes.pngOne of my friends made an analysis of the 12 markers, Programming Languages seems mighty likely, though HCI does (hopefully) too (y)
I'n taking the exam too! I do hope that HCI is the 12 marker, but i think that programming languages would be okay too. I hope they're nice with the questions this year lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending