The Student Room Group

No periods on cerazette? Is this unhealthy?

So I started cerazette last september. My period lasted 3 weeks+ at first, then I had two regular periods, one at the end of december, and the other at the end of february. I told my GP this and she came to the conclusion Id continue to have regular periods every 2 months. I asked her because I have booked my holiday on the week that my period would've been due if the period carried on as it had been (bummer).

However, I haven't bled since! I took two pregnancy tests, one in may, one in june, and both negative. I bought one of those multipacks off Amazon, do you think thats reliable enough?

Anywho, I was hoping someone could explain to me if its healthy to not have a period for months, or even years on end? I heard you need to have atleast 3 periods per year, but some women go for years on this pill without a bleed. How is this not unnatural?
Reply 1
I also took 3 of the cheap amazon tests this morning all negative so I think I can rule out pregnancy
Some women have more or less constant bleeding when using a progesterone-only form of contraception, while others (after some time settling down) don't have any.

It's not 'unhealthy' or unnatural - historically, most women had many fewer periods than their modern equivalent: they were pregnant or nursing for most of their fertile years. It's only with reliable contraception that women have anything like a period a month for decades.

The 'three periods a year' thing may be down to the way that the sort of combined pill that's licensed for multiple months without a break has users having a week's break and (usually) a withdrawal bleed every three or four months. But there are plenty of women who skip more breaks than that.
Reply 3
Original post by unprinted
Some women have more or less constant bleeding when using a progesterone-only form of contraception, while others (after some time settling down) don't have any.

It's not 'unhealthy' or unnatural - historically, most women had many fewer periods than their modern equivalent: they were pregnant or nursing for most of their fertile years. It's only with reliable contraception that women have anything like a period a month for decades.

The 'three periods a year' thing may be down to the way that the sort of combined pill that's licensed for multiple months without a break has users having a week's break and (usually) a withdrawal bleed every three or four months. But there are plenty of women who skip more breaks than that.

Thank you for the help. So this pill is basically telling my body that its pregnant? Is the reason Im not bleeding because there is no lining in the womb to 'fall' out, and if there was a buildup it would come out as a period rather than collect? So my body isn't experiencing any sort of ovulation/menstrual cycle anymore? Sorry for all the questions and if that makes no sense xD
Progesterone-only pills mostly work by stopping ovulation, so your body doesn't think it's pregnant already so much as 'not about to be pregnant any time soon'.

Quick Reply

Latest