The Student Room Group

AQA level 2 Further maths GCSE

Scroll to see replies

did anyone get root 45 for the surds questions?
Original post by aggressively
did anyone get root 45 for the surds questions?

I got 45. :smile: Not root 45, but maybe it is?
Original post by Dorisdolphine
Ohhhhh I got 80 😂

i got 80 as well ^^
Reply 103
heres my answers

1) 3x^2-20x
2) a=3 b=-20
3)n=12 b) 3/5
4)(-5, 8) b)root 10
5) x=39 degrees
6)m=8 p= -1
7) 9, 10, 11
8) x=121
9) x^3-15x^2+75x-125
10) -80
11) Gradient AB = -5/2, Gradient BC= 2/5
12) h=3 k=-7
13) x=45
14) 3a=3 a=1 b)(x+2)(x-7)(x-3)
15) 2root 7 -4
16) I got 5/6 but answer was -5/6 because it was obtuse
17) k = 9
18) (x^2+9)(x-3)(x+3)
19) 3 + 3 + 3 + 3root 3 is what you get for totals and factorise it to 3 (3+root 3)
20) w = 3n because y use cosine rule and the answer = 1/3 rearrange it and then factorise it into two solutions but answer cant be negative so its n=w/3 and w=3n so two lengthsare equal and u get isosceles
Original post by 1jonam16
no, it's -80. I think the test was harder than usual but definietely doable, i think i dropped marks on the trigonometric identites though :frown: gutted.

yaas, the only question i know for sure i got wrong was 19, 4 marks went down the hill.
For the cubic factorising one I'm sure it said solve, not just factorise, so once I had got the brackets I just wrote the three values for x (e.g. if (x-3) was in a bracket x=3) in the answer space. Do you think that is okay?
Original post by Examscanyounot
Some answers I got:

Cos(theta symbol)= -5/6

X=121 for the one that was like (3-rootx)^1/3 - 2

(X-5)^3= x^3 - 15x^2 + 75x - 125

Completing the square: (X+3)^2 - 7
Minimum value thing: (-3,-7)

For proving the perimeter thing, inthink you had to show it was 3(3+root3) by doing 3+3+3+6/root3+3/root3 then it made 9+9/root 3 in which you had to rationalise the 9/root3 to get 9root3/3 and then that gave altogether 9+3root3 then you just had to put it in brackets?

dy/dx was like 3x^2 - 20x (correct me if I'm wrong I can't quite remember)

The X/Y thing was -80

There was one where an answer was 45 (maybe X=45)

Where you had to find p and m or something it was 8 and -1

Centre of the circle I can't remember but it was either the 2nd or 3rd option.

The radius was root10

The difference between 2 squares was (X+3)(X-3)

There are more but I can't quite remember off the top of my head

We literally got the same answers for everything! omg that makes me sooo happy, it means i didnt completely screw that test over.
Currently looking like I may get that A* distinction that has been so elusive. Looks like A/A* core maths, and if the FM calculator paper is the same difficulty, that A* distinction
Can anyone remember what the question was for the answer 9, 10, 11? I just don't remember writing it
Original post by SunnysideSea
Can anyone remember what the question was for the answer 9, 10, 11? I just don't remember writing it

Integer values for x^2 - 20x + 96 < 0

So, (x - 8)(x - 12) < 0
What did people get for the last question (cosP = 1/3) I was fine with the others but just couldn't work that one out!
Original post by Examscanyounot
I don't think it can be equal to 8 or 12 because it's and inequality that says it has to be less than 0. It said write down the integers so I think it would be 9,10 and 11 but I left it as 8<X<12 as the answer: would is still get the marks?

I got 9, 10 and 11 also
hey.
There was a question related to completing the square in a quadratic equation and you were meant to answer in the form (a+-sqrt.b).
What if you solved it by using the quadratic formula :frown:
Original post by Bulbasaur10
I got 45. :smile: Not root 45, but maybe it is?

Which surds question is this?
Original post by clorenzoni5
We literally got the same answers for everything! omg that makes me sooo happy, it means i didnt completely screw that test over.

For the complete the square one you had to solve for X and leave it in the from a=+-rootb
Juat realised on completing the square I didn't halve the ccoefficient of x. I got a weird answer for that one and now I just want to cry.😣😣😣
But hopefully the rest seems *emphasising the seems* good. Didn't miss any questions like some friends.
Guys, if I got alll the method right but the answer wrong will I only lose one mark?

I did this 4 times on the paper, for example i got rootx = 11 and i put the answer as 11 not 121

and I did all the right working for the k question but i put 18 instead of 9 because i messed up the adding

and I pur 5/6 as my answer instead of -5/6

and I forgot to fully factorise (x^2-9)

do you reckon thats only one mark lost for each, because I was really rooting for an A^, but idk if these mistakes will only cost me one mark or the mark for the whole question! thanks
Original post by 1jonam16
you're correct.

I wrote 16/-rt1/25.
How many marks will I lose for not getting -80?
Reply 118
I love how im like reading all these messages just thinking how ive failed this exam😂👍🏼
Reply 119
Samee! I understand most of it, but i got a 6 as well but i don't understand how that was simplified into the answer they gave us.

Quick Reply

Latest