The Student Room Group

Thinking of downloading Netflix - is it worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Netflix is best for series not movies.
Netflix is great!
Can always try the free trial
Better yet, just download or stream everything? It's free and you can watch whatever you want - Netflix doesn't have everything.
Original post by asif007
Better yet, just download or stream everything? It's free and you can watch whatever you want - Netflix doesn't have everything.

I mean, why pay for things when you can pirate them?
Original post by Elivercury
I mean, why pay for things when you can pirate them?

Exactly. You save so much money and still get all the same entertainment that a Netflix account would give you, but for free! :tongue:
Original post by asif007
Exactly. You save so much money and still get all the same entertainment that a Netflix account would give you, but for free! :tongue:

I can't say I consider £7 a month "so much money" personally, but then I can't pretend I don't stream stuff online if I am unable to get it via my four media subscriptions. I feel I've made reasonable efforts.
sounds like a good way to chill.
Definitely worth it. I thought I'd drop it after the free trail but I think it's definitely worth it. Once I get through all the content that appeals to me I'll probably drop it and come back to it when new stuff comes on though.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
what kind of films do they have on there? Anything recently in cinemas or just old stuff?

I don't have it, but I will relay the experience of someone who does:

Vanilla Netflix is very limited; you'll need a geoblocker (Hula, etc) to be able to access their full range.

And it's worth it... for a while. Unless you've got a very broad perspective on what you find enjoyable to watch, you'll get bored of it after you've watched everything you want to watch as apparently they don't upload stuff all that frequently.

For what it is, and for the price it's at, you can't really complain. Quality's always fairly decent too. But personally, I'd stick to plugging a HDMI cable into your laptop and streaming from the Internet (the only downside to that is you have to get up when you want to change the episode; Netflix switches to the next episode automatically).
I can't say I consider £7 a month "so much money" personally, but then I can't pretend I don't stream stuff online if I am unable to get it via my four media subscriptions. I feel I've made reasonable efforts.

Well when you're a student, every little saving helps. I also like to have the freedom knowing I can download and keep whatever I want. That avoids me paying for a Netflix account when I probably won't watch half the content, haha.
Original post by asif007
Well when you're a student, every little saving helps. I also like to have the freedom knowing I can download and keep whatever I want. That avoids me paying for a Netflix account when I probably won't watch half the content, haha.

Given the amount of content on there, I suspect it would quite literally take you years to watch half of it.

Personally I've hit that point in life where I'm content pay in order to just turn on my TV and have shows available, rather than faff with my laptop and finding a decent stream.
Original post by Drunk Punx
I don't have it, but I will relay the experience of someone who does:

Vanilla Netflix is very limited; you'll need a geoblocker (Hula, etc) to be able to access their full range.

And it's worth it... for a while. Unless you've got a very broad perspective on what you find enjoyable to watch, you'll get bored of it after you've watched everything you want to watch as apparently they don't upload stuff all that frequently.

For what it is, and for the price it's at, you can't really complain. Quality's always fairly decent too. But personally, I'd stick to plugging a HDMI cable into your laptop and streaming from the Internet (the only downside to that is you have to get up when you want to change the episode; Netflix switches to the next episode automatically).

Haha I don't mind changing the episode manually at all. I usually only watch 2 or 3 episodes of sitcoms every day so it's not a big deal for me, haha. And with downloading your entertainment, there's new content every day plus a huge backlog of older films and TV series if you're interested in those too. The variety of Netflix only depends on how much new content they upload, and as you're saying it's not that frequent... I think I made the right choice not to get a Netflix account, haha. :tongue:
Reply 32
literally no, all the films are crap and the tv shows aren't even up to date
Given the amount of content on there, I suspect it would quite literally take you years to watch half of it.

Personally I've hit that point in life where I'm content pay in order to just turn on my TV and have shows available, rather than faff with my laptop and finding a decent stream.

Fair enough. That's the benefit of downloading rather than streaming though - I have all the shows and films available already and just have to click play. :smile:
Reply 34
Just cancelled my Netflix subscription with no regrets, it's not worth it because there isn't much on there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by asif007
Fair enough. That's the benefit of downloading rather than streaming though - I have all the shows and films available already and just have to click play. :smile:

Yeah, but then I need to arse around with torrents, finding decent download links and all that hassle. It doesn't require any less work than streaming, you just put the work in further in advance of watching.

Plus it means that I am actually paying for the content and will hopefully result in more of said content being made.
If

Original post by Drunk Punx
(the only downside to that is you have to get up when you want to change the episode; Netflix switches to the next episode automatically).
If you own a smart TV, accquaint yourself with DLNA. Using your phone as a remote to play content from one device (e.g. laptop, phone) to another (e.g. TV, phone). No wires required. If you know what you're doing, you could alternatively stream straight from the web without having to download media locally.
Original post by Rust Cohle
If

If you own a smart TV, accquaint yourself with DLNA. Using your phone as a remote to play content from one device (e.g. laptop, phone) to another (e.g. TV, phone). No wires required. If you know what you're doing, you could alternatively stream straight from the web without having to download media locally.

I just use unified remote. Free on Android (unsure about Apple) and allows me to control my PC while streaming it to the TV.

I like wires for actually streaming PC to TV though, as I find wifi tends to lag.
I just use unified remote. Free on Android (unsure about Apple) and allows me to control my PC while streaming it to the TV.

I like wires for actually streaming PC to TV though, as I find wifi tends to lag.
The lag would probably be caused by a weak WIFI connection from either the server (PC) or the renderer (TV) to your router. I have no issues playing content on TV downstairs when the laptop is upstairs for example. In 90% cases lag won't be a problem provided a good server app is used on PC (e.g. Serviio).
Original post by Rust Cohle
The lag would probably be caused by a weak WIFI connection from either the server (PC) or the renderer (TV) to your router. I have no issues playing content on TV downstairs when the laptop is upstairs for example. In 90% cases lag won't be a problem provided a good server app is used on PC (e.g. Serviio).

I suspect my issue is primarily due to being in a large flat development and surrounded by 40-50 other wifi signals, given I am usually transmitting from within the same room. I've typically found my chromecast 2 lags whenever I stream to it, so I just opted for a 5m HDMI cable instead to thread around the room. If I'm getting serious over a game online I also use power over ethernet rather than wifi, but it has been a while since I bothered with that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending