The Student Room Group

B7 21C (21st Century New GCSE Biology - UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HateOCR
For the last six mark Q i talked about recombinant DNA and the FISH technique :frown: do i not get my marks? Also i put faeces as ecosystem waste :,( im so screwed i think B7 is the reasoni wont get A*

Technically it is the waste of some living organisms just like c02 is a waste from respiration therefore I think you will be credited. In the spec it is a waste
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Technically it is the waste of some living organisms just like c02 is a waste from respiration therefore I think you will be credited.

What about the Question where you looked at this girls fitness and you had to make 3 conclusions?
I said more blood goes closer to skin when exercising so she can sweat
Original post by HateOCR
What about the Question where you looked at this girls fitness and you had to make 3 conclusions?
I said more blood goes closer to skin when exercising so she can sweat

Blood goes closer to skin is vasodilation but it is not so she can sweat but so heat is lost to the surroundings so I don't think you will be credited sorry
I got a feeling grade boundaries are gonne be like 46 or 47 for an A*. I don't it will go any higher to be honest since people make stupid mistakes as well as interpret questions differently. Also they put on the LCA which isn't even in the spec.

I dont agree. I think the grade boundary will be 45 or 44 for A* due to the large variety of interpretations for the answers...
Original post by HateOCR
I dont agree. I think the grade boundary will be 45 or 44 for A* due to the large variety of interpretations for the answers...

Making it 44 means it was harder than last year and 45 means it was the same difficulty. Do you agree that is the case? A lot thought this paper was easier than previous years
Making it 44 means it was harder than last year and 45 means it was the same difficulty. Do you agree that is the case? A lot thought this paper was easier than previous years

The 2015 paper was a little harder than this years but i can see that a lot of people made silly mistakes on the paper. A lot of people were disagreeing about the answer for the last 6 mark Q and some people wrote different answers for the Q about timber. I felt like there was a large number of topics involved.

Ok so i got that wrong. I got about 42 in that paper :frown: im really sad i wanted to get a high forty. Man i shouldve done double science
Original post by HateOCR
Ok so i got that wrong. I got about 42 in that paper :frown: im really sad i wanted to get a high forty. Man i shouldve done double science

Original post by HateOCR
The 2015 paper was a little harder than this years but i can see that a lot of people made silly mistakes on the paper. A lot of people were disagreeing about the answer for the last 6 mark Q and some people wrote different answers for the Q about timber. I felt like there was a large number of topics involved.

Look you'll get an A or an A* overall if your other exams were fine. Don't worry. What's over is over :smile:
Look you'll get an A or an A* overall if your other exams were fine. Don't worry. What's over is over :smile:

Yeah. I did get med/high A* in b123456. Thanks for the words of encouragement :smile: my last exam is tommorow is your school done?
Original post by HateOCR
Yeah. I did get med/high A* in b123456. Thanks for the words of encouragement :smile: my last exam is tommorow is your school done?

No I got P7 and C7 which are on wednesday and friday. Got 2 more :frown:
Can you include the marks if possible?? Thanks :smile:
No I got P7 and C7 which are on wednesday and friday. Got 2 more :frown:

ah rip xD i done mine last year
Original post by HateOCR

I wish we did a few early but our school doesn't like that :frown:
Reply 53
Original post by HateOCR

Nice username
Original post by Jakir
Nice username

Thank you. It says it all. OCR is the reason im never getting A* in my sciences.
How did I manage to do so badly in an easy paper??? :frown:
I better still be able to get an A* after this, looking unlikely though, especially if the grade boundaries are so high :frown:
Reply 56
15. Ecoservices for humans include (you only need three for three marks)
pollination
clean water
air
fertile soil for growing crops
food e.g fish and game

Could you have put plants are used for medicine,wood is used for furniture and paper?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by NiamhM1801
How did I manage to do so badly in an easy paper??? :frown:
I better still be able to get an A* after this, looking unlikely though, especially if the grade boundaries are so high :frown:

I am sure you will do well!Tbh I did not really like B123 AND 456 I thought this was a lot better though I think I still did bad
Original post by babznd
I am sure you will do well!Tbh I did not really like B123 AND 456 I thought this was a lot better though I think I still did bad

I hope so. It was such a bad paper - nothing on the skeletal system, blood, tissue fluid or eutrophication - more on flipping risk and LCAs which, I thought we only had to know about for C3?? Do they know that was over a month ago?

Glad you found it better. I'm sure you'll get a good grade :smile:
Reply 59
Original post by blessingmariee
All the questions I remember. I may have missed some bits so forgive me lol - THIS MAY NOT BE IN ORDER SORRY.

1. TWO LIFESTYLE RELATED QUESTIONS: How much do you exercise per week? AND Do you drink alcohol and/or smoke tobacco ?

2. TWO MEDICAL HISTORY RELATED QUESTIONS: Are you currently on any medication AND Do any members of your family have diseases e.g Type 2 diabetes.

3. 1.3 and 28.

Three changes in blood flow: In the skin: vasodilation to lose heat, In the muscles, so she could move whilst exercising (there is another one but I forgot what it was lol)

4. The heart works as a double pump so the blood is deoxgenated before it goes to the lungs to be oxygenated. So the blood flow to Sunita's lungs BEFORE exercise is 5.0 litres.

5. Two potential answers:

5i) BMI was 31. He is therefore obese and he is above average for his age . He should therefore think about going to his GP for some exercise tips and he should think of adopting a carefully controlled diet full of high fibre foods and complex carbs because they take long to digest so some of the glucose will be used in respiration before it is stored. Cut out simple sugars as they are quickly digested. As he is obese and probably has bad diet control his T2Diabetes risk is increased as well so he should try to lower his BMI.

5ii)(Thank you Kate) His BMI is 31 which suggests he is obese, however BMI isn't always the most accurate as someone who has a lot of muscle may register as obese or very obese simply because muscle is higher density than fat. Body fat % gives a more accurate result and because According to the chart Neil has an above average % body fat, he should be concerned.

6. (I think this was group 1 and 2 about aortas).They minimum aorta diameter in group two was approx 4.6

7. They did some people in Group 1 because their family members may have have had it and/or suffered complications from the aneurysm.

8. Some people might go for the surgery anyway because the perceived risk is great than the actual risk.

9. (I think the smoking question was next?).

< 30 = People who were less than 30 when they stopped smoking.

Percentage increase = 5.5% or 5.6% depending on how you read it

10. Two conclusions that I could draw:

If you smoke, as you get older, the increased risk of getting lung cancer increases.

People who don't smoke still have a chance of getting lung cancer.

11. Age when you started matters as the deterioration of a duration of time will be different. (General health may be accepted too)

12. Why are some people for/against timber harvesting?

For: They can generate an income

Against: Deforestation can lead to soil erosion which is bad for farmers, loss of habitats as well.

13. Why is vegetation good? (3 marks)
Prevents soil erosion
Prevents extremes of temperatures
Promotes cloud formation

14. Somewhere there was a question about measuring progress in fitness or something and you had to tick the boxes "repeatibility of results" and "accuracy of monitoring equipment"

15. Ecoservices for humans include (you only need three for three marks)
pollination
clean water
air
fertile soil for growing crops
food e.g fish and game

16. Ecosystems waste (you needed two) Thank you Abbi :
Oxygen
Carbon dioxide
Minerals in nutrients
Dead Organic matter

17.. Life Cycle Assessment:is a technique to assess environmental impacts associated with all the stages of a product's life from cradle to grave

(BASICALLY LOOKING AT ENERGY INPUTS AND OUTPUTS AND THE EFFECTS ON THE ENVIRONMENT)

18.. Boxes to tick in terms of NO scientific approach:
How much the bags should cost (definite answer)
I think 'Holes in bags to stop suffocation; is the other one, but some people think it's plastic bags on streets

19.. 5p charge:
PEOPLE: Why should we have to pay if we are already paying for groceries?
SCIENTISTS: Acts as a deterrent gets people to recycle their bags. A small fee to pay as plastics take long to decompose.

20. INSULIN IN GM: POTENTIAL ANSWERS:

1.Identify the gene for insulin, remove it from the DNA using an enzyme, replicate this SINGLE gene, remove a plasmid from the circular DNA in bacteria donor, put the insulin gene in, put it back into the bacteria and put it in a fermenter to harvest it. Once harvested insulin can be extracted and put into the cartridges for insulin patients to use.

2 (s/o to Dr. Dead Trim for this answer). A DNA sample is taken from white blood cells in the Human and the gene for insulin is located and isolated then replicated using restriction enzymes

Talk about the plasmid being a vector and inserting the suitable vector back into the bacteria

Mention that its electrically stimulated to accept the genes and if it doesnt accept the insulin gene then it wont accept the resistance gene so when an antibiotic is added it will kill it off leaving you with functioning bacteria that produce insulin.

Genetic code is universal across all organisms which is why bacteria are able to produce human insulin. Bacteria have a simple biochemistry as well as the ability to reproduce rapidly and create complex molecules.

After being put into a fermenter the insulin is filtered out, bottled then distributed in pharmacies

Also mention that human insulin is better than animal insulin as it is more effective and wont be treated as a pathogen

(I am seeing a lot of mention about antibiotics - this is about finding out if the bacteria mod was successful or not)

21. 'May cause disease' should have been circled.

CAN'T THINK OF ANY OTHER QUESTIONS. IF YOU KNOW THEM, ANY OTHER ANSWERS OR THE MARKS PLEASE POST IT SO I CAN EDIT. ALL THE LOVE. X

Blessing you know that the percentage increase is like 105% cos it is is like 5 to 11, so it doubles

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending