The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster summer school 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JaredzzC
I have been accepted ( conditional offer based on my teacher's reference ) for the 'Mathematics and Statistics' course from 24th - 28th July :smile:

I was quite worried, to be honest.
I submitted my application about 30 minutes before the application deadline.
I know they close applications early if the spaces are filled, but I wasn't sure if I had hurt myself a bit by leaving it too late, but thankfully, just under a week later, I received an email saying I had been accepted!

It seems a little daunting as I'm not going to know anyone there, but it will be a great opportunity to make friends and experience it all!

Perhaps if there are enough of us doing courses on the same dates, those of us from TSR could meet up? Would anyone be up for that?

Maybe haha, where abouts are you from?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by bethanylunn1999
Literally just got mine too !! It just came through

Can someone send pics of the info pack sheets mine still hasnt come and i wanna make my travel arrangements whilst traintickets are cheaper. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollielollipop
Maybe haha, where abouts are you from?

Bath :biggrin: but I meant when we're at the Uni we could meet up, since it would be a lot easier as we'd be near enough in the same area :smile:
I went to the politics summer school last year, feel free to ask questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blackdiamond97
I went to the politics summer school last year, feel free to ask questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Great to hear! There aren't many posts about the Lancaster Summer School and I don't have the information pack(s), so I'm not very informed.
I guess they do detail stuff on their website, but it's good have the insight/first-hand experience from someone who has been.

->Are we able to leave the campus/university to go out and explore parts of the city?
->How big was your group from the politics strand?
->Was your course interactive; was it mostly them telling you stuff, or did you get a chance to do projects or other forms of work( collaboratively or independently)?
->The work they present you with, is it quite challenging or is it fairly easy to attempt the level of work?

Trying not to get too ahead of myself because I still have to wait for my teacher's reference, and I'm not sure whether some of them think I'm capable of getting the grades the university asks for, so I could still potentially not be able to go.
(edited 7 years ago)
Great to hear! There aren't many posts about the Lancaster Summer School and I don't have the information pack(s), so I'm not very informed.
I guess they do detail stuff on their website, but it's good have the insight/first-hand experience from someone who has been.

->Are we able to leave the campus/university to go out and explore parts of the city?
->How big was your group from the politics strand?
->Was your course interactive; was it mostly them telling you stuff, or did you get a chance to do projects or other forms of work( collaboratively or independently)?
->The work they present you with, is it quite challenging or is it fairly easy to attempt the level of work?

Trying not to get too ahead of myself because I still have to wait for my teacher's reference, and I'm not sure whether some of them think I'm capable of getting the grades the university asks for, so I could still potentially not be able to go.

1. You were allowed to explore the campus during lunch/break, wasn't allowed to leave campus though
2. It was quite big but we were split up into groups of about 15, you get to meet people doing other subjects often though
3. It is definitely interactive, you're encouraged to discuss lots of different topics and you work together quite often
4. It is quite easy, you should know what going on the the news right now but that's about it really, politics is a very subjective subject anyway
I have been accepted for Chemsitry course from 24th-28th july :smile:

Btw who is going on that date and are you taking the coach from London ?
I have been accepted ( conditional offer based on my teacher's reference ) for the 'Mathematics and Statistics' course from 24th - 28th July :smile:

I was quite worried, to be honest.
I submitted my application about 30 minutes before the application deadline.
I know they close applications early if the spaces are filled, but I wasn't sure if I had hurt myself a bit by leaving it too late, but thankfully, just under a week later, I received an email saying I had been accepted!

It seems a little daunting as I'm not going to know anyone there, but it will be a great opportunity to make friends and experience it all!

Perhaps if there are enough of us doing courses on the same dates, those of us from TSR could meet up? Would anyone be up for that?

Idm depends where abouts london you from haha
Original post by erfanullah
Idm depends where abouts london you from haha

Lol :P I'm going on the same dates as you are, 24th-28th July (Mathematics and Statistics).

By meet up, I meant when we're at the uni as opposed to travel together :P I live a few hours from London, so it wouldn't be that convenient, haha :P
Reply 29
Im doing the Sociology course but i havent received my information pack though. Super nervous as my friends hadnt gotten into the summer school, only me.
would i have to pay for my own travel there and back?
Original post by hxylxy
Im doing the Sociology course but i havent received my information pack though. Super nervous as my friends hadnt gotten into the summer school, only me.
would i have to pay for my own travel there and back?

Don't worry, I haven't received it yet, either.
If you haven't received it soon, just email them and they should send one to you.

I believe they provide free transport via coach from London, Birmingham and Manchester/Liverpool, otherwise you do have to pay for it yourself, I'm afraid.
Reply 31
Just got an email from Lancaster telling us what we need to bring, what is everyone bringing for sportswear? And what do you reckon we'll be doing?
Reply 32
How long (to those who have the information pack) is the coach journey from London to Lancaster?
Original post by hxylxy
How long (to those who have the information pack) is the coach journey from London to Lancaster?

They havent said , but ive looked it up and i believe its something between 5-6 hours , wayyy to long for me , im getting the train from london euston up 2hours45 mins about £60 for return tickets

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Lool I'm actually realising that I'm lit going to Lancaster on my own, it's actually very sad 😭😭😂😂
Original post by hxylxy
Lool I'm actually realising that I'm lit going to Lancaster on my own, it's actually very sad 😭😭😂😂

Haha, same here. They seem to mention everywhere that there will be many opportunities to make friends there and that we will leave Lancaster having made some friends, which is a good thing for me, because having 0 friends is literally the story of my life :colondollar::colonhash: xD
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Amy99
Just got an email from Lancaster telling us what we need to bring, what is everyone bringing for sportswear? And what do you reckon we'll be doing?

I'm just going to take some trainers for sportswear. I doubt they will be asking for much more than that. It will probably just be activities like football, etc. :smile:
Reply 37
5 hours is a long journey from London to Lancaster.... Do we have to bring our own food for the long journey ? And whereexactly are we supposed to meet? Outside Victoria station or?
Has anyone else received the email with a list of things to bring? I haven't got one yet should I be worried? I'm slightly concerned they have not got my consent forms etc that I sent off because I haven't got any conformation they have been received has anyone else?
Reply 39
Original post by mollielollipop
Has anyone else received the email with a list of things to bring? I haven't got one yet should I be worried? I'm slightly concerned they have not got my consent forms etc that I sent off because I haven't got any conformation they have been received has anyone else?

You shouldn't be worried, I haven't got my info pack but I did get my email explaining that week. If anything, call the university up, they may help. And BTW I had called the university up and 'Joseph' is off until Wednesday. So you might not hear from him until then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending