The Student Room Group

Failed AS

I just sat my AS level exams and Im pretty sure I failed, I took Math, Economics, Business and photography, and the past year has been so stressful and mentally taxing. Truth is I've been working on my own fashion label for a year and have realised thats what i wanna do for the rest of my life but I'd be silly not to have a plan B. I havent received my results yet but i know i didnt do well, what do i do next year, Im not even sure my options, do I drop out and take an apprenticeship to fund my passion or do i restart or ....
It really depends on the grade boundaries this year as to whether you've actually failed. You could've done better than you think! Even my school thought I'd failed most of my exams at GCSE and I ended up with some pretty great grades considering. Wait until you get your results to make any firm decisions. You could look for an apprenticeship if you want, or even try a diploma at college. There may be one in fashion or an art//textiles course at your nearest college. If not, you can look into apprenticeships. You can also talk to your college/sixth form and talk to them about resits. You may be able to carry onto your second year, and complete the AS resits at the earliest opportunity.

I hope everything works out!
Original post by vand420
I just sat my AS level exams and Im pretty sure I failed, I took Math, Economics, Business and photography, and the past year has been so stressful and mentally taxing. Truth is I've been working on my own fashion label for a year and have realised thats what i wanna do for the rest of my life but I'd be silly not to have a plan B. I havent received my results yet but i know i didnt do well, what do i do next year, Im not even sure my options, do I drop out and take an apprenticeship to fund my passion or do i restart or ....

Wait until Results Day to make a firm decision - you may have done better than you think! I know I walked out of a couple of AS exams last year thinking I'd completely messed it up and I actually got good grades in those exams.

Then it's up to you. IF your grades are bad, is it because the subjects didn't suit you? It happened to me and I retook the year changing all but one of my subjects and got much better grades. If you just didn't like A-Levels then maybe an apprenticeship. It depends on what your personal preferences are to be honest.

Best of luck for Results Day! :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you for replying,
I forgot to add, my school is soo bad i started in year 12 and its just a mess in terms of no teachers and organisation so I really want to leave, that makes things harder in respect to resits
Reply 4
Original post by emiloujess
Wait until Results Day to make a firm decision - you may have done better than you think! I know I walked out of a couple of AS exams last year thinking I'd completely messed it up and I actually got good grades in those exams.

Then it's up to you. IF your grades are bad, is it because the subjects didn't suit you? It happened to me and I retook the year changing all but one of my subjects and got much better grades. If you just didn't like A-Levels then maybe an apprenticeship. It depends on what your personal preferences are to be honest.

Best of luck for Results Day! :smile:

Thank you so much for your support
Its not that im not capable of the subjects its that due to the passion i found im fashion I dont plan on taking any of the subjects further or using them to get into uni so I've got a couple problems
Original post by vand420
Thank you for replying,
I forgot to add, my school is soo bad i started in year 12 and its just a mess in terms of no teachers and organisation so I really want to leave, that makes things harder in respect to resits

I know that feeling, but you might be able to resit somewhere else too if you enrol there. There's a lot of options you can look into, but if you're really sure that fashion is where you're headed it could really be worth looking into fashion/textiles courses at colleges around you. I know my college does a pretty good one.
Original post by vand420
Thank you so much for your support
Its not that im not capable of the subjects its that due to the passion i found im fashion I dont plan on taking any of the subjects further or using them to get into uni so I've got a couple problems

What about a BTEC that is relevant to your passion such as art or fashion design? I definitely wouldn't recommend spending 2 years doing something that you have no interest in or passion for - I did it for a year and it was hell ngl. An apprenticeship in the fashion industry might also be worth a look at :smile:
Wait til results day,you might surprise yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest