The Student Room Group

Gcses & Uni

Just wanted to know from anyone if universities care about GCSE resists particularly universities like KCL, UCL or LSE and if they hinder your chances
Thank you !
Reply 1
Nope - once you have your A-Levels - GCSE's are no longer relevant in higher education !!
Original post by DoctorDC
Nope - once you have your A-Levels - GCSE's are no longer relevant in higher education !!

Not true. If you haven't got Maths/English Language GCSE at B or C (unis vary on this) then many good universities simply discard you on the first sorting as a method of cutting down on applicants.

Original post by missn2000
Just wanted to know from anyone if universities care about GCSE resists particularly universities like KCL, UCL or LSE and if they hinder your chances
Thank you !

However, once you have attained the required level at GCSE the issue is less important.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Not true. If you haven't got Maths/English Language GCSE at B or C (unis vary on this) then many good universities simply discard you on the first sorting as a method of cutting down on applicants.

However, once you have attained the required level at GCSE the issue is less important.

So if you had a C at GCSE maths and a D in GCSE English - but had an A in A-level maths and a B in A-level English - Universities would ignore your application !!

No - A-levels trump GCSE's as long as the subjects are relevant to the degree and to the level required by the university !
Reply 4
Ucas points count first - subjects chosen second - personal statements third - any additional info fourth (e.g work experience and a desire to learn your subject) - GCSE's are not used in selection by most universities and if they are it is only on the most selective and over subscribed courses such as medicine etc.

Then beyond that - they are never menttioned, referenced or bothered about ever again !!
Thank you !

Try contacting them and then ask about re-takes for the course that you want to do.
Reply 6
Thank you for ur replies - I'll just have to wait and see what I got :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by Shazen
Try contacting them and then ask about re-takes for the course that you want to do.

Thanks I'll do that
Reply 8
So if you had a C at GCSE maths and a D in GCSE English - but had an A in A-level maths and a B in A-level English - Universities would ignore your application !!

No - A-levels trump GCSE's as long as the subjects are relevant to the degree and to the level required by the university !

For one, OP didn't say they had A-levels in Maths & English.
Reply 9
GCSEs are so over-hyped. Year 11s lose their minds over them, just get into sixth form with at least a C in Maths and English then get your head down and focus on the A-levels you actually need for uni
Thanks I'll do that

Welcome! :smile:
Reply 11

Well GCSE's are quite relevant for course such as medicine apparently.

Interestingly, I started to write something along these lines but cut it out for simplicity, which I shouldn't have. OK, yes, if you specifically supersede your GCSE Maths and English at A-level, then I agree - unis won't mind low-level GCSEs.

Ucas points count first - subjects chosen second - personal statements third - any additional info fourth (e.g work experience and a desire to learn your subject) - GCSE's are not used in selection by most universities and if they are it is only on the most selective and over subscribed courses such as medicine etc.

Then beyond that - they are never menttioned, referenced or bothered about ever again !!

However, you are simply incorrect that GCSEs aren't used in the selection process, even under the caveats you give. Many universities require a base level of ability, eg for many Psychology courses a B is required in GCSE Maths simply to ensure that students can cope with statistical analysis.

Also, 'Ucas points' are not used by top universities. They require specific grades, often in specific subjects. super
Reply 13
I want to do law if that makes a difference
Reply 14

Example at random - BA Philosophy at UCL specifies GCSE requirements alongside A Levels (English B, Maths C and a foreign language) :
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/philosophy-ba/

Assuming that GCSEs are irrelevant for higher education is a risky strategy until you have settled on which degrees you will put on your UCAS application - unlikely whilst you are working on GCSEs aged 13-16.
Of course, you want to do decently, but they aren't massively important. As long as you pass Maths and English Language with a B you should be fine.
That said, due to the removal of AS-Levels they are becoming increasingly important, but they aren't the end of the world.
Original post by Klix88
Example at random - BA Philosophy at UCL specifies GCSE requirements alongside A Levels (English B, Maths C and a foreign language) :
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/philosophy-ba/

Assuming that GCSEs are irrelevant for higher education is a risky strategy until you have settled on which degrees you will put on your UCAS application - unlikely whilst you are working on GCSEs aged 13-16.

Other example - Cambridge has no GCSE requirement unless you intend to study Medicine or Veterinary Science !
Reply 17
Other example - Cambridge has no GCSE requirement unless you intend to study Medicine or Veterinary Science !

Again, OP hasn't said they are doing a) not doing Medicine b) applying to Cambridge c) not applying anywhere else.

It might be best just to let it go.
Reply 18
Thank you !

I want to do law if that makes a difference

Sorry your thread has been a bit derailed by some questionable or irrelevant replies.

I suggest you contact the specific universities you are interested in to be sure of their stance.

I note, for example, UCL doesn't like* A-level resits/retakes but they may be more relaxed about GCSE retakes. (Assuming you need to retake anything of course... )

*UCL's view of retakes for Law: it may be different for GCSEs.
"We are unable to accept A level resits unless the first attempt was impacted by extenuating circumstances."
http://www.laws.ucl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/entry-requirements/
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by jneill
Sorry your thread has been a bit derailed by some questionable or irrelevant replies.

I suggest you contact the specific universities you are interested in to be sure of their stance.

I note, for example, UCL doesn't like* A-level resits/retakes but they may be more relaxed about GCSE retakes. (Assuming you need to retake anything of course... )

*UCL's view of retakes for Law: it may be different for GCSEs.
"We are unable to accept A level resits unless the first attempt was impacted by extenuating circumstances."
http://www.laws.ucl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/applying/entry-requirements/

Thank you I will and I know it's still a bit early as I've just finished my exams I'm just very worried it may affect me but I guess I'll know in August

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending