The Student Room Group

Difference between a leader and a manager?

Don't know if this is the suitable forum for the post but i do hope to get some response.

So my perception of a leader is someone who does the right thing based on incentive. He/She motivates other people to do what they want done.

My idea of a manager is someone who does things right. He/She controls a group to accomplish a goal.
(edited 7 years ago)
There are lots of these things kicking around businesses at the moment and they're real buzzword topics.

Broadly if you like, respect and follow them they're a leader. If you do as they command, resent them and they represent a poor example then they are a manager.

There aren't many leaders in the world.
Original post by Elivercury
There are lots of these things kicking around businesses at the moment and they're real buzzword topics.

Broadly if you like, respect and follow them they're a leader. If you do as they command, resent them and they represent a poor example then they are a manager.

There aren't many leaders in the world.
Though by definition (Google). A leader is the person who leads or commands a group, organization, or country. So despite respect or resent isn't that person still a leader?
Reply 3
I just wrote a whole essay about this - Leadership is more vision focussed and involves deciding strategies and motivating others; Management is more of a practical role and may involve implementing strategies and working on an operational level. That is what is said anyway, there is debate about the difference between the two ideas and different businesses might implement it in different ways.
Leadership is a quality whereas management is just a role. Leaders are able to take people with them to bring about their objectives. Whereas, a manager attempts to achieve outcomes by instructing them. Of course, the two are not mutually exclusive.
It's a never-ending question in the business world and there's no single right answer. Lots of people answer it in lots of different ways. For example the army develops leadership and needs 'leaders' in charge of soldiers. Which goes against most of the examples given so far.
Original post by Jenx301
I just wrote a whole essay about this - Leadership is more vision focussed and involves deciding strategies and motivating others; Management is more of a practical role and may involve implementing strategies and working on an operational level. That is what is said anyway, there is debate about the difference between the two ideas and different businesses might implement it in different ways.
Thanks. Though by definition (like said before, sorry). A leader is a person or thing who leads or commands a group, organization, or country. So whether that person inspires others to accomplish a goal, or commands a set of entities to accomplish that goal, at the end of it all he/she is still a leader because they are leading. Those very entities are following the leader despite the leadership style.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
Thanks. Though by definition (like said before, sorry). A leader is a person or thing who leads or commands a group, organization, or country. So whether that person inspires others to accomplish a goal, or commands a set of entities to accomplish that goal, at the end of it all he/she is still a leader because they are leading. Those very entities are following the leader despite the leadership style.

Yes - so what's your question.....
I mean why ask the question if all you want is the dictionary definition?
Reply 9
Leader?
You are born
Manager?
You train to be one
Original post by Jenx301
Yes - so what's your question.....
Whoops sorry. Do you believe that if that person or thing abides by the definition of leader, even though they may lack a vision, that they are still a leader?
Original post by Elivercury
I mean why ask the question if all you want is the dictionary definition?
I want to get a different perspective on it. Everyone i seem to ask so far (at my school and family, that is) base it on the definition of leader and manager. So the question never came up. I did not get the generic answers on SR so it gave me the chance to ask it.
The difference between leader and manager can be summarized this way:“When you are a leader, you work from the heart. As a manager, you work from the head.” Although it is probably more complex than that, the point to remember is the difference between what you do as a leader and what you do as a manager—and the constant need to be able to do both. Furthermore, the head and heart need to be partners, not independent operators.

A manager focuses attention on efficiency, effectiveness, and making sure the right things happen at the right time. You are in a manager role when you set performance objectives with staff, prepare budgets, review cashflow projections, develop action plans, and evaluate programs or fund raising strategies or any other aspect of the company. Managing may also include doing hundreds of other tasks that require focused and logical attention to the good health of the organization.

Leaders follow their own intuition which may inturn be more benefit to the company. Their Followers are often more loyal to them. Managers do things by the book and follow company policy. Their Subordinates may or may not be loyal to them. A Leader in practical terms motivates others to do the task. A Manager in business terms ensures tasks are done through others.
Refer more form cheapessaywritingservice.us/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
Don't know if this is the suitable forum for the post but i do hope to get some response.

So my perception of a leader is someone who does the right thing based on incentive. He/She motivates other people to do what they want done.

My idea of a manager is someone who does things right. He/She controls a group to accomplish a goal.

It is an advantage, if a manager has leader skills and is able to motivate the inferiors to make their work good, without a doubt. But more important than having those skills is that the manager is accepted by the inferiors as a leader, otherwise he would not be so successful in being a leader.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending