The Student Room Group

The A* study blog with no name!

Hello everyone,
I am ill off school today - so I decided to start up a revision blog. After trying to create a revision blog in the 'grow your grades' section to no avail, i just decided to start one here. I did discover that 'grow your grades' is an annual competition and therefore has an opening and closing date. Hence, why I can't contribute.

I am in year ten at the moment. :smile:

Brief education background:

Anyway, my name is Hannah and will just give a brief background to my education. After having lived in eleven houses and having attended five schools in my life so far due to the divorce of my parents, things have become slightly hectic. 😂 I have been lucky enough to have been privately educated all of my life, but if I am being completely honest I would have preferred to be educated in the state sector. The private sector has served as being more harm than good. So, I started off in a mediocre private school in the Kent area - it was a mixed school which I attended in reception. My parents were not satisfied with the standard of the school, nor the area in which we lived - so we moved down to where my dad's family were based. There, I attended quite a high flying all girls school. I had a lot to catch up on. Working my way up from being at the bottom of the class in year two, to being at the higher end of the year in year six. However, in year five my parents got divorced. Ever since year three I had known that the divorce was definitely going to happen. This resulted in me becoming quite isolated, afraid to really talk to anyone - so I didn't have any friends. It didn't help that I was very alternative and so did not follow the crowd.

So, in the spring term of year six we had the common entrance exam for secondary school. I was broken at this stage, and just wanted to get into a 'good' secondary school. Most of my friends went for the really high flying schools which got people into Oxbridge. But, I went for the private schools which were still excellent, but weren't selective. After, taking the exams for two schools and thinking that I had performed terribly - I applied for the state school round the corner. I actually wanted to attend this school, but my mother wouldn't let me. For me, that state school had always been my 'first choice,' but hey ho... In March, I found out that I had achieved academic scholarships to both schools - a massive shock to the system. I decided on the school that was closest.

After spending year seven and year eight at that school, my confidence grew and grew. I was more certain with myself and knew of my academic abilities. Wanting more, I applied for one of the high flying selective schools - which I didn't previously apply for in year six. Unbelievably I managed to get in with flying colours - a massive shock to my family and friends. So, I started that school at the beginning of year 9.

However, at the school in which I currently attended - my anxiety began. I won't go into too much detail, but I now have been diagnosed with anxiety, OCD and mild depression. It's been tough, but I have tried to use all of those conditions to my advantage - working hard to try and achieve my goals. Yet, I do get physically ill quite often due to that. I need to be more aware of my own strength.

Current results:

So, I have just had my end of year ten exams - they did not go as well as I would have liked them to. My aim for my actual GCSEs is 10A*, as I am doing the IGCSEs. They won't be changing for me or be marked 1-9. I am trying to get as many A*'s as possible - as I want to do law at Oxford. Here are the end of year ten results:

Spoiler

So, some of the results are 'good' in my eyes, but a lot of work is needed to improve. Here are the results of the coursework/control assessments which I have done so far - will be adding to it as I get the results.

Spoiler

Anyway, I think that is all from me for now. This blog will effectively document my revision and my progress. Feel free to comment and join in! :smile: I am also happy to offer advice in regards to any GCSEs - content, organisation, revision etc. I like helping people! :smile: so if you need help, just ask!

Thanks for reading this!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am aware of the typo in the thread title. 😂 Please may someone tell me how to change it? Thanks.
Reply 2
Original post by ?Hannah
I am aware of the typo in the thread title. 😂 Please may someone tell me how to change it? Thanks.

Edit the post. Go to "preview", and you can change the title :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
Edit the post. Go to "preview", and you can change the title :smile:

Thank-you! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey hannah :smile:
Will you update everyday because i can't wait !! Well I like to see what people are doing everyday :smile: I'm very curious as you can see.
Have a look at my thread too :
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3934631

Wish you all the best x
Hi Hannah, glad to see you're already on top of things for next year! I'll make sure to have a read of what you've been up to! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey hannah :smile:
Will you update everyday because i can't wait !! Well I like to see what people are doing everyday :smile: I'm very curious as you can see.
Have a look at my thread too :
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3934631

Wish you all the best x

Hello, I will try to - yes! Probably won't be updating today though, because I am quite ill at the moment. Aha, I am a very curious person as well! Just checked your thread out now X it looks brilliant. :smile:

Original post by lilacpotato
Hi Hannah, glad to see you're already on top of things for next year! I'll make sure to have a read of what you've been up to! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank-you! :smile: awesome! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
The standard of A Level exams in subjects like Maths and Sciences have been really difficult this year, so that's something to consider when studying for your GCSEs- don't learn content: learn concepts and actually UNDERSTAND rather than memorize. GCSEs are the foundation of your learning, but I am glad to see you are working hard :smile: my foundation knowledge hindered my understanding in A Level Maths and Physics, although I am a hard-working student- this isn't enough at A Level. I'm sure you'll also be considering the entrance exams to the high-flying universities, the sooner you begin preparing the better. Preparation for these exams will diverge time from your regular studies however will set you in a good academic position to then tackle your A Level work. I am similar to you in some respects, you are more intelligent than I was at your age however!!! I moved schools a fair bit and I went to a private school from years 7-11 and didn't like it either- I think it's elitist and archaic.
I made the active decision to move into co-ed state education for sixth form, I wouldn't advise this if you want to achieve the best grades because, although it was the best personal decision I have made, it was a shock to the system.Physics and Chemistry were my most difficult subjects at GCSE, in mocks I got an A* in Physics and a B in Chemistry. I then, between mocks and the real exams, put a lot of work into Chemistry (I did IGCSE too). It didn't pay off: I got a B at the end and my Physics grade moved down to an A due to complete abandonment.You seem to be a very intelligent and conscientious student and I wish you all the luck in the world. The next couple of years will be really challenging, my natural disposition has always been very positive however I was diagnosed with anxiety by the end of year 13. However, if you have knowledge and are strategic as well as resourceful, you may thrive.Surround yourself with level-headed, supportive people who want you to succeed as much as they want to themselves!! (Difficult to find, I know, but they do exist) Good Luck :smile:
Original post by ?Hannah
Hello everyone,
I am ill off school today - so I decided to start up a revision blog. After trying to create a revision blog in the 'grow your grades' section to no avail, i just decided to start one here. I did discover that 'grow your grades' is an annual competition and therefore has an opening and closing date. Hence, why I can't contribute.

Anyway, my name is Hannah and will just give a brief background to my education. After having lived in eleven houses and having attended five schools in my life so far due to the divorce of my parents, things have become slightly hectic. 😂 I have been lucky enough to have been privately educated all of my life, but if I am being completely honest I would have preferred to be educated in the state sector. The private sector has served as being more harm than good. So, I started off in a mediocre private school in the Kent area - it was a mixed school which I attended in reception. My parents were not satisfied with the standard of the school, nor the area in which we lived - so we moved down to where my dad's family were based. There, I attended quite a high flying all girls school. I had a lot to catch up on. Working my way up from being at the bottom of the class in year two, to being at the higher end of the year in year six. However, in year five my parents got divorced. Ever since year three I had known that the divorce was definitely going to happen. This resulted in me becoming quite isolated, afraid to really talk to anyone - so I didn't have any friends. It didn't help that I was very alternative and so did not follow the crowd.

So, in the spring term of year six we had the common entrance exam for secondary school. I was broken at this stage, and just wanted to get into a 'good' secondary school. Most of my friends went for the really high flying schools which got people into Oxbridge. But, I went for the private schools which were still excellent, but weren't selective. After, taking the exams for two schools and thinking that I had performed terribly - I applied for the state school round the corner. I actually wanted to attend this school, but my mother wouldn't let me. For me, that state school had always been my 'first choice,' but hey ho... In March, I found out that I had achieved academic scholarships to both schools - a massive shock to the system. I decided on the school that was closest.

After spending year seven and year eight at that school, my confidence grew and grew. I was more certain with myself and knew of my academic abilities. Wanting more, I applied for one of the high flying selective schools - which I didn't previously apply for in year six. Unbelievably I managed to get in with flying colours - a massive shock to my family and friends. So, I started that school at the beginning of year 9.

However, at the school in which I currently attended - my anxiety began. I won't go into too much detail, but I now have been diagnosed with anxiety, OCD and mild depression. It's been tough, but I have tried to use all of those conditions to my advantage - working hard to try and achieve my goals. Yet, I do get physically ill quite often due to that. I need to be more aware of my own strength.

Current results:

So, I have just had my end of year ten exams - they did not go as well as I would have liked them to. My aim for my actual GCSEs is 10A*, as I am doing the IGCSEs. They won't be changing for me or be marked 1-9. I am trying to get as many A*'s as possible - as I want to do law at Oxford. Here are the end of year ten results:

Spoiler

So, some of the results are 'good' in my eyes, but a lot of work is needed to improve. Here are the results of the coursework/control assessments which I have done so far - will be adding to it as I get the results.

Spoiler

Anyway, I think that is all from me for now. This blog will effectively document my revision and my progress. Feel free to comment and join in! :smile: I am also happy to offer advice in regards to any GCSEs - content, organisation, revision etc. I like helping people! :smile: so if you need help, just ask!

Thanks for reading this!

Good luck sweetie! From this, I gather you are currently in year 10? I've now completed year 13, but year 10 was the toughest school year for me so I want to tell you it does get better. You can push through and get those A*s! I wish you all the best luck.
Original post by ?Hannah
Hello, I will try to - yes! Probably won't be updating today though, because I am quite ill at the moment. Aha, I am a very curious person as well! Just checked your thread out now X it looks brilliant. :smile:

Thank-you! :smile: awesome! :smile:

Yayy !! Aw get well soon take a rest :smile: Thank you x
Original post by Platopus
Good luck sweetie! From this, I gather you are currently in year 10? I've now completed year 13, but year 10 was the toughest school year for me so I want to tell you it does get better. You can push through and get those A*s! I wish you all the best luck.

Hey there,
if you don't mind me asking what did you get in your GCSE
Original post by nisha.sri
Hey there,
if you don't mind me asking what did you get in your GCSE

I only sat 8 GCSEs because I basically learnt all the content in one year due to missing half of year 10 & half of year 11 due to critical illness. However, I got all A*s.
Original post by ?Hannah
Hello everyone,

I am in year ten at the moment. :smile:

Current results:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Thanks for reading this!

Hi Hannah! Good luck! I know you can get all those A*s and achieve your dream! Man, I wish I was that productive in year 10! I wish you all the best!:smile:
Heyyy, this is a nifty little thread you've got going on - it'll be so good to be able to read everything back and relive your journey in the future!
You're definitely in a really good position for success, although I'm sure you already know that as I've told you so many times :h:
Good luck with everything, and I'll definitely keep up to date :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by NiamhM1801
Heyyy, this is a nifty little thread you've got going on - it'll be so good to be able to read everything back and relive your journey in the future!
You're definitely in a really good position for success, although I'm sure you already know that as I've told you so many times :h:
Good luck with everything, and I'll definitely keep up to date :biggrin:

Hello, Niamh!
Yes, definitely - that was the intention!
Thank-you very much again, I appreciate it. Hopefully, soon I will believe that though...
Thanks! Good luck for everything also - concerning results day and everything! Keep us all updated on your thread!
Reply 15
Original post by sahra30013
Hi Hannah! Good luck! I know you can get all those A*s and achieve your dream! Man, I wish I was that productive in year 10! I wish you all the best!:smile:

Thanks, Sahra,
I appreciate this! Oh, I hope so. Honestly, the thought of A*'s is forever present in my mind!
Aha, I am not that productive. :colondollar:
Wish you all the best as well - concerning your last exams and results day. Do keep us all updated!
Original post by ?Hannah
Hello, Niamh!
Yes, definitely - that was the intention!
Thank-you very much again, I appreciate it. Hopefully, soon I will believe that though...
Thanks! Good luck for everything also - concerning results day and everything! Keep us all updated on your thread!

You're welcome - I know you're gonna do amazingly come your time, and also because we'll all be done with GCSEs at that point we'll all be keen to see how you do and probably give you some good do's and don't's as well :biggrin:
I definitely will - I'll be sure to share my results with you guys (even if by some strange occurrence I get all Ds, you'll still be told!)
I wish you all the best :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by yareelit
The standard of A Level exams in subjects like Maths and Sciences have been really difficult this year, so that's something to consider when studying for your GCSEs- don't learn content: learn concepts and actually UNDERSTAND rather than memorize. GCSEs are the foundation of your learning, but I am glad to see you are working hard :smile: my foundation knowledge hindered my understanding in A Level Maths and Physics, although I am a hard-working student- this isn't enough at A Level. I'm sure you'll also be considering the entrance exams to the high-flying universities, the sooner you begin preparing the better. Preparation for these exams will diverge time from your regular studies however will set you in a good academic position to then tackle your A Level work. I am similar to you in some respects, you are more intelligent than I was at your age however!!! I moved schools a fair bit and I went to a private school from years 7-11 and didn't like it either- I think it's elitist and archaic.
I made the active decision to move into co-ed state education for sixth form, I wouldn't advise this if you want to achieve the best grades because, although it was the best personal decision I have made, it was a shock to the system.Physics and Chemistry were my most difficult subjects at GCSE, in mocks I got an A* in Physics and a B in Chemistry. I then, between mocks and the real exams, put a lot of work into Chemistry (I did IGCSE too). It didn't pay off: I got a B at the end and my Physics grade moved down to an A due to complete abandonment.You seem to be a very intelligent and conscientious student and I wish you all the luck in the world. The next couple of years will be really challenging, my natural disposition has always been very positive however I was diagnosed with anxiety by the end of year 13. However, if you have knowledge and are strategic as well as resourceful, you may thrive.Surround yourself with level-headed, supportive people who want you to succeed as much as they want to themselves!! (Difficult to find, I know, but they do exist) Good Luck :smile:

Hello, thank-you for taking the time to comment on my thread!
Yes, I have heard about the high standard; dad is a physics teacher - so have heard his view on it!
In regards to understanding the context rather than just memorising - is using past papers a good way to do this? I know with the sciences in my exam board, it is mainly about the application of knowledge - rather than just 'memorising' it. I don't want to fall into the trap of only 'memorising' - so is there a good way to check that I am understanding?
How did your foundation knowledge hinder your understanding at A level?
Do you have to have the 'natural' talent at a subject to perform 'well' at that particular A level?
Currently, I am reading up on the subject that I think I want to do at degree level. But, other than that I haven't really done much preparation!
Aw thank-you, I am not that intelligent though! :colondollar: Private school perfectly fits that description! It is very judgemental also. But I believe that it will allow me to be prepared for when I meet foul people in future life.
Unfortunately, I have no option to stay in private sixth form. I have to go to a state - luckily, there is a very good college round the corner; top in the league tables!
I lack belief in myself, causing me to worry and stress in the exam. Those are still excellent GCSE results though! I always find the Sciences to be the hardest.
Thank-you! I wish you luck in the world also! How have your final A level exams gone? Do you have any more?
Year 10 has definitely been the hardest year in my school career. Yesterday I realised that I have 6 years of really important exams up ahead of me! The horror!
:colonhash:
I am sorry to hear about your anxiety, it is a really difficult thing to live with. Try and use it positively though and come up with methods to cope with it. My dad (who also struggles with mental health) says that anxiety never goes, you just have to find ways to cope.
I have finally been able to find those sorts of people! It has taken me a long time, but I have finally found people like that. Have only managed to find two though! We help and support each other - all having our own, individual goals.
Thank-you! Good luck to you also! Are you going to university next year?
Again, I really do appreciate your kindness and advice which you have given me - I will definitely try to follow it. :smile:
Reply 18

Hello,
Thank-you very much! Yes, I am currently in year ten - I completely agree about it being a very tough year. In my case, there has been a lot of blood, sweat, and tears! Oh, I do hope that it gets better, I am just so tired and worn out at the moment. Thank-you again!

How have your A levels gone? Have you got more exams to do? What are your plans for next year? I wish you the best of luck as well!

I only sat 8 GCSEs because I basically learnt all the content in one year due to missing half of year 10 & half of year 11 due to critical illness. However, I got all A*s.

Oh wow, that is seriously impressive! Well done!
Reply 19
Original post by NiamhM1801
You're welcome - I know you're gonna do amazingly come your time, and also because we'll all be done with GCSEs at that point we'll all be keen to see how you do and probably give you some good do's and don't's as well :biggrin:
I definitely will - I'll be sure to share my results with you guys (even if by some strange occurrence I get all Ds, you'll still be told!)
I wish you all the best :biggrin:

Aw thank-you Niamh,
I hope you know that I believe in you as much as you believe in me! :colondollar:
That would actually be really appreciated, lol!
Niamh, you know that you will get an A* in maths! That won't happen at all, you have worked far too hard to be getting D's. I am sure that you will exceed your predicted grades!
Wishing you all the best as well! :smile: Thank-you for believing in me.

Quick Reply

Latest