The Student Room Group

Do Oxford student and Oxford Brookes students ever mix in nightclubs in Oxford?

Thinking about Oxford Brookes as an option for uni, however I'm really worried that I'll be in a nightclub, and a boy will ask me what uni I go to, and if I say Oxford Brookes hell automatically think I'm stupid. I don't want to go there because of nightlife or anything, I'm only thinking of it as a 5th choice just in case I do badly. But do the Oxford people really look down upon the Oxford Brookes?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There's nothing wrong with going to oxford brookes, no one will think you're stupid

Now if you end up at london met on the other hand...
Lots of people assume that Oxford Brookes is bad, just because it is right next to Oxford University... Think about a hot friend next to a fat friend, one makes the other look better (and the other one gets ignored)
>i would fit in at oxford because I'm posh and rich

1461190308097.jpg
Just tell people you go to Brookes College, Oxford. Problem solved.
This is actually something to be worried about? :facepalm:
Reply 6
About the exam performance... i feel exactly the same. Although minus the posh bit lol
I'm also interested in the interaction between oxford/oxford brookes students since it's my insurance option too
I highly every oxford student is "posh" or, as most people like to stereotype them, as "snobby"
Same for oxford brookes - it's certainly not a bad uni and i wouldn't make the mistake in thinking that students there are below you or that their rep is bad
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
This is actually something to be worried about? :facepalm:

Honestly, yes because so many people say that if you don't go to a Uni you're not 'smart' or you can't get a good job, so in extremely worried about this now
Original post by Katiee224
There's nothing wrong with going to oxford brookes, no one will think you're stupid

Now if you end up at london met on the other hand...

London Met is a quality university though...
Original post by Arima
About the exam performance... i feel exactly the same. Although minus the posh bit lol
I'm also interested in the interaction between oxford/oxford brookes students since it's my insurance option too
I highly every oxford student is "posh" or, as most people like to stereotype them, as "snobby"
Same for oxford brookes - it's certainly not a bad uni and i wouldn't make the mistake in thinking that students there are below you or that their rep is bad

I didn't mean 'posh' I just meant that I'm not exactly what people would call a 'chav' I hate that saying-but you know what I mean, so I'm just worried if I went to Oxford Brookes an Oxford person might ASSUME, that I wasn't a classy person.
don't worry university of oxford students don't go out
(Fact, Source: YouGov.org)
Ha! Oxford students mingling with the plebs? Never!
This is really a non-issue, if something as absurd as this is gonna stop you from going to a Uni, you haven't the appropriate mental age for higher education.
Some Unis are better than others, unless you're going to London Met or LSBU or something irredeemably bad nobody is going to place emphasis on your Uni.
Original post by ambermariemorgan
Thinking about Oxford Brookes as an option for uni, however I'm really worried that I'll be in a nightclub, and a boy will ask me what uni I go to, and if I say Oxford Brookes hell automatically think I'm stupid. I don't want to go there because of nightlife or anything, I'm only thinking of it as a 5th choice just in case I do badly. But do the Oxford people really look down upon the Oxford Brookes?

Probably think you're a peasant and your employer's will think you're a poser.

Imagine a few years down the line...

Employer: Oh wow! We have an Oxford graduate.

you: Actually Oxford Brookes isn't part of Oxford University

Employer: Oh...

[ Awkwardness continues ]

That's the reason why I refused to choose Oxford Brookes and chose UWE over that as my 5th choice. despite the fact UWE is far lower in the league tables.

Think of studying at Oxford Brookes as doing an A level equivalent at college. Your mates probably wont stop taking the mic outta you. 2 of my mates from college did and we rip the **** out of them lol.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Danny the Geezer
Ha! Oxford students mingling with the plebs? Never!

See this is exactly what I mean. People genuinely do look down upon Oxford Brookes students, he just classed them as 'plebs'
See this is exactly what I mean. People genuinely do look down upon Oxford Brookes students, he just classed them as 'plebs'

If you cant deal with that then don't go, choose something else. Try Reading. Unfortunately I cant bare the shame therefore I didn't.
Honestly, if people are judging you based on which university you go to, then I think that they are the ones with a problem - not you! Why would you want to mix with people like that anyway? Yes, the students from both univerisities probably do mix, but it's all about finding the right crowd of people who you get on well with - regardless of where they study...
Original post by Themini
Probably think you're a peasant And your employers a poser.

Imagine a few years down the line...

Employer: Oh wow! We have an Oxford graduate.

you: Actually Oxford Brookes isn't part of Oxford University

Employer: Oh...

[ Awkwardness continues ]

That's the reason why I refused to choose Oxford Brookes and chose UWE over that as my 5th choice. despite the fact UWE is far lower in the league tables.

Think of studying at Oxford Brookes as doing an A level equivalent at college. Your mates probably wont stop taking the mic outta you. 2 of my mates from college did and we rip the **** out of them lol.
but not everyone can go to Russel groups can they? Not everyone can get 3B's no matter how much work they put in, and I've heard of Oxford Brookes way more than university of west England, swear you can get D's and still go there....

More fool you for takng me seriously ::bandit:
Original post by ?Hannah
Honestly, if people are judging you based on which university you go to, then I think that they are the ones with a problem - not you! Why would you want to mix with people like that anyway? Yes, the students from both univerisities probably do mix, but it's all about finding the right crowd of people who you get on well with - regardless of where they study...

This is so true

Latest