The Student Room Group

LLM Qualifying Law Degree (postgraduate)

Ive applied for the postgraduate LLM qualifying law degree (the pathway if you don't have a law degree)

How is it marked, is it like a degree where you can obtain First, 2:1 , 2:2?

I only got a 2:2 in my degree and I'm keen to make up for it by getting a first on the LLM.

Thanks.
Original post by katiemariefryer
Ive applied for the postgraduate LLM qualifying law degree (the pathway if you don't have a law degree)

How is it marked, is it like a degree where you can obtain First, 2:1 , 2:2?

I only got a 2:2 in my degree and I'm keen to make up for it by getting a first on the LLM.

Thanks.

time for some home truths

where are you doing your LLM. LLM generally doesnt LLM equal QLD. Generally if you havent got QLD in undergrad (i,e LLB)you should have to take the GDL to get to get into solicitor/barrister jobs.

where are you doing the LLM. that will matter

where did you get your 2:2? a 2.2 wont normally rectified by a masters in the law field. However 2.2 from oxbridge isnt the end of the world

marks are Pass (50) merit(60) distinction(70)
It's the equivalent to doing a GDL, I would have to do a top year to make it a full masters so I'm unsure on the grading.

My 2:2 is in hospitality management, so this is a conversion course. I have also applied for the GDL though with my other two choices on the CAB.

Both these qualifications will be through Leeds Beckett.

I then plan to do the BPTC to become a barrister.

(I know I can get the grades, because despite my 2:2 I'm smart, I got that 2:2 in the space of 2 years on an accelerated degree and had lots of personal circumstances which would of made most people drop out)

I'm not bothered about russell group universities etc, I can still get a perfectly respectable job if I excel at the LLM and the BPTC. I plan to work in Yorkshire, hardly anyone goes to oxbridge here :wink:

I just want to know how they're graded, so you say its percentages, thanks :smile:
What sort of job were you planning on getting? Yiou might not find it as easy as you think.
Ideally I want to be a corporate/company law barrister, which is assuming i'd pass the barrister exam, if not then a corporate solicitor. Believe me, I've looked into it, theres plenty of companies, so always going to need plenty of lawyers. I just need a really good grade, or else i'll end up at a *****y law firm, but its still better than what I'm doing now, average wage for a hospitality manager is like 18k :/
Reply 5
Keen to know how your getting on in your career? Im currently trying to choose a provider and between the GDL v MA Law - not looking for advice guys thanks :smile: but wondered what your experience of getting onto the BPTC? Thanks in advance

Quick Reply

Latest