The Student Room Group

B7 21C (21st Century New GCSE Biology - UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME

Scroll to see replies

Poorly wording, vague questions and straying away from the spec with LCA alone are enough to lower grade boundaries in my opinion
Reply 81
Original post by blessingmariee
probably 1 or 2.

100% dream is over. :frown:
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
Poorly wording, vague questions and straying away from the spec with LCA alone are enough to lower grade boundaries in my opinion

YESSSS thats exactly why i think the grade boundaries will be low :smile:
Reply 83
wood was already in the question i believe but i think plants for medicine would be accepted. x

Ok thanks I thought wood could be reused but for something different oh no!:frown:
All the questions I remember. I may have missed some bits so forgive me lol - THIS MAY NOT BE IN ORDER SORRY.

1. TWO LIFESTYLE RELATED QUESTIONS: How much do you exercise per week? AND Do you drink alcohol and/or smoke tobacco ?

2. TWO MEDICAL HISTORY RELATED QUESTIONS: Are you currently on any medication AND Do any members of your family have diseases e.g Type 2 diabetes.

3. 1.3 and 28.

Three changes in blood flow: In the skin: vasodilation to lose heat, In the muscles, so she could move whilst exercising (there is another one but I forgot what it was lol) - I really don't think this is right. I put: more blood to muscles, as more oxygen is needed there as they're respiring most. Less blood to digestive system as its not needed there and can result in nausea. More blood around the body in general because the body needs oxygen to replenish that expelled by aerobic respiration.

4. The heart works as a double pump so the blood is deoxgenated before it goes to the lungs to be oxygenated. So the blood flow to Sunita's lungs BEFORE exercise is 5.0 litres.

5. Two potential answers:

5i) BMI was 31. He is therefore obese and he is above average for his age . He should therefore think about going to his GP for some exercise tips and he should think of adopting a carefully controlled diet full of high fibre foods and complex carbs because they take long to digest so some of the glucose will be used in respiration before it is stored. Cut out simple sugars as they are quickly digested. As he is obese and probably has bad diet control his T2Diabetes risk is increased as well so he should try to lower his BMI.

5ii)(Thank you Kate) His BMI is 31 which suggests he is obese, however BMI isn't always the most accurate as someone who has a lot of muscle may register as obese or very obese simply because muscle is higher density than fat. Body fat % gives a more accurate result and because According to the chart Neil has an above average % body fat, he should be concerned.

6. (I think this was group 1 and 2 about aortas).They minimum aorta diameter in group two was approx 4.6

7. They did some people in Group 1 because their family members may have have had it and/or suffered complications from the aneurysm.

8. Some people might go for the surgery anyway because the perceived risk is great than the actual risk.

9. (I think the smoking question was next?).

< 30 = People who were less than 30 when they stopped smoking.

Percentage increase = 5.5% or 5.6% depending on how you read it

10. Two conclusions that I could draw:

If you smoke, as you get older, the increased risk of getting lung cancer increases.

People who don't smoke still have a chance of getting lung cancer.

11. Age when you started matters as the deterioration of a duration of time will be different. (General health may be accepted too)

12. Why are some people for/against timber harvesting?

For: They can generate an income

Against: Deforestation can lead to soil erosion which is bad for farmers, loss of habitats as well. Where was this???

13. Why is vegetation good? (3 marks)
Prevents soil erosion
Prevents extremes of temperatures
Promotes cloud formation

14. Somewhere there was a question about measuring progress in fitness or something and you had to tick the boxes "repeatibility of results" and "accuracy of monitoring equipment"

15. Ecoservices for humans include (you only need three for three marks)
pollination
clean water
air
fertile soil for growing crops
food e.g fish and game

16. Ecosystems waste (you needed two) Thank you Abbi :
Oxygen
Carbon dioxide
Minerals in nutrients
Dead Organic matter

17.. Life Cycle Assessment:is a technique to assess environmental impacts associated with all the stages of a product's life from cradle to grave

(BASICALLY LOOKING AT ENERGY INPUTS AND OUTPUTS AND THE EFFECTS ON THE ENVIRONMENT)

18.. Boxes to tick in terms of NO scientific approach:
How much the bags should cost (definite answer)
I think 'Holes in bags to stop suffocation; is the other one, but some people think it's plastic bags on streets

19.. 5p charge:
PEOPLE: Why should we have to pay if we are already paying for groceries?
SCIENTISTS: Acts as a deterrent gets people to recycle their bags. A small fee to pay as plastics take long to decompose.

20. INSULIN IN GM: POTENTIAL ANSWERS:

1.Identify the gene for insulin, remove it from the DNA using an enzyme, replicate this SINGLE gene, remove a plasmid from the circular DNA in bacteria donor, put the insulin gene in, put it back into the bacteria and put it in a fermenter to harvest it. Once harvested insulin can be extracted and put into the cartridges for insulin patients to use.

2 (s/o to Dr. Dead Trim for this answer). A DNA sample is taken from white blood cells in the Human and the gene for insulin is located and isolated then replicated using restriction enzymes

Talk about the plasmid being a vector and inserting the suitable vector back into the bacteria

Mention that its electrically stimulated to accept the genes and if it doesnt accept the insulin gene then it wont accept the resistance gene so when an antibiotic is added it will kill it off leaving you with functioning bacteria that produce insulin.

Genetic code is universal across all organisms which is why bacteria are able to produce human insulin. Bacteria have a simple biochemistry as well as the ability to reproduce rapidly and create complex molecules.

After being put into a fermenter the insulin is filtered out, bottled then distributed in pharmacies

Also mention that human insulin is better than animal insulin as it is more effective and wont be treated as a pathogen

(I am seeing a lot of mention about antibiotics - this is about finding out if the bacteria mod was successful or not)

21. 'May cause disease' should have been circled.

CAN'T THINK OF ANY OTHER QUESTIONS. IF YOU KNOW THEM, ANY OTHER ANSWERS OR THE MARKS PLEASE POST IT SO I CAN EDIT. ALL THE LOVE. X

My correct answers. When marks are added I'll count up.
Original post by Jakir

To be honest, you did deserve to get 100%. You do work very hard. No doubt in my mind you'll get an A* overall though.
Original post by NiamhM1801
marks I have added aren't definite. In fact they don't add up to 60 marks BUT it gives a good indication.
Original post by Jakir

Yeah but you don't need full marks for 100UMS
You probably have still done it.
Original post by NiamhM1801

I talked about the FISH technique for the last 6 mark (the fluroesecent
For the last six marker, I did the whole process of genetic modification. Then I said you can find the ones which haven't been properly transferred by genetic testing them, which should be given marks in my opinion since you are looking for matching bases to the insulin protein in the DNA or bacterial cell you've implanted it into. But I don't know what examiners may think.
Original post by MezmorisedPotato
For the last six marker, I did the whole process of genetic modification. Then I said you can find the ones which haven't been properly transferred by genetic testing them, which should be given marks in my opinion since you are looking for matching bases to the insulin protein in the DNA or bacterial cell you've implanted it into. But I don't know what examiners may think.

Just pray that we are all right and that the grade boundaries are low
Original post by HateOCR
Just pray that we are all right and that the grade boundaries are low

The mark schemes are reformed after pupil answers and stuff. That's why there is a final mark scheme and an ordinary mark scheme. So if something you says make sense, then they could be awarded an answer.
Original post by Jakir

"I think I got 60/60" - Jakir
Reply 93
All the questions I remember. I may have missed some bits so forgive me lol - THIS MAY NOT BE IN ORDER SORRY. ALSO THE MARKS ARE WHAT I THINK THEY WERE BUT IF YOU KNOW THEY ARE WRONG PLEASE SAY SO.

1. TWO LIFESTYLE RELATED QUESTIONS: How much do you exercise per week? AND Do you drink alcohol and/or smoke tobacco ? (1 mark)

2. TWO MEDICAL HISTORY RELATED QUESTIONS: Are you currently on any medication AND Do any members of your family have diseases e.g Type 2 diabetes. (1 mark)

3. 1.3 and 28 (2 marks?)

Three changes in blood flow: In the skin: vasodilation to lose heat, In the muscles, so she could move whilst exercising (there is another one but I forgot what it was lol) (3 marks?)

4. The heart works as a double pump so the blood is deoxgenated before it goes to the lungs to be oxygenated. So the blood flow to Sunita's lungs BEFORE exercise is 5.0 litres. (2 marks?)

5. NEIL'S BMI (6 marks) Two potential answers:

5i) BMI was 31. He is therefore obese and he is above average for his age . He should therefore think about going to his GP for some exercise tips and he should think of adopting a carefully controlled diet full of high fibre foods and complex carbs because they take long to digest so some of the glucose will be used in respiration before it is stored. Cut out simple sugars as they are quickly digested. As he is obese and probably has bad diet control his T2Diabetes risk is increased as well so he should try to lower his BMI.

5ii)(Thank you Kate) His BMI is 31 which suggests he is obese, however BMI isn't always the most accurate as someone who has a lot of muscle may register as obese or very obese simply because muscle is higher density than fat. Body fat % gives a more accurate result and because According to the chart Neil has an above average % body fat, he should be concerned.

6. (I think this was group 1 and 2 about aortas).They minimum aorta diameter in group two was approx 4.6 (1 mark)

7. They did some people in Group 1 because their family members may have have had it and/or suffered complications from the aneurysm. (1 mark?)

8. Some people might go for the surgery anyway because the perceived risk is great than the actual risk. (3 marks?)

< 30 = People who were less than 30 when they stopped smoking. (2 mark)

Increase in the percentage risk = 5.5% or 5.6% depending on how you read it (2 marks?)

10. Two conclusions that I could draw: (2 marks)

If you smoke, as you get older, the increased risk of getting lung cancer increases.

11. Age when you started matters as the deterioration of a duration of time will be different. (General health may be accepted too) (2 marks?)

12. Why are some people for/against timber harvesting? (6 marks)

Against: Deforestation can lead to soil erosion which is bad for farmers, loss of habitats as well.

Prevents soil erosion
Promotes cloud formation

14. Somewhere there was a question about measuring progress in fitness or something and you had to tick the boxes "repeatibility of results" and "accuracy of monitoring equipment" (2 marks?)

pollination
clean water
air
food e.g fish and game

16. Ecosystems waste (you needed two) (2 marks?) Thank you Abbi :
Oxygen
Carbon dioxide
Minerals in nutrients
Dead Organic matter
Faeces

17.. Life Cycle Assessment:is a technique to assess environmental impacts associated with all the stages of a product's life from cradle to grave (3 marks?)

(BASICALLY LOOKING AT ENERGY INPUTS AND OUTPUTS AND THE EFFECTS ON THE ENVIRONMENT)

18.. Boxes to tick in terms of NO scientific approach (2 marks?):
I think 'Holes in bags to stop suffocation; is the other one, but some people think it's plastic bags on streets

19.. 5p charge(3 marks?):
SCIENTISTS: Acts as a deterrent gets people to recycle their bags. A small fee to pay as plastics take long to decompose.

20. INSULIN IN GM: POTENTIAL ANSWERS (6 marks):

1.Identify the gene for insulin, remove it from the DNA using an enzyme, replicate this SINGLE gene, remove a plasmid from the circular DNA in bacteria donor, put the insulin gene in, put it back into the bacteria and put it in a fermenter to harvest it. Once harvested insulin can be extracted and put into the cartridges for insulin patients to use.

2 (s/o to Dr. Dead Trim for this answer). A DNA sample is taken from white blood cells in the Human and the gene for insulin is located and isolated then replicated using restriction enzymes

Talk about the plasmid being a vector and inserting the suitable vector back into the bacteria

Mention that its electrically stimulated to accept the genes and if it doesnt accept the insulin gene then it wont accept the resistance gene so when an antibiotic is added it will kill it off leaving you with functioning bacteria that produce insulin.

Genetic code is universal across all organisms which is why bacteria are able to produce human insulin. Bacteria have a simple biochemistry as well as the ability to reproduce rapidly and create complex molecules.

After being put into a fermenter the insulin is filtered out, bottled then distributed in pharmacies

Also mention that human insulin is better than animal insulin as it is more effective and wont be treated as a pathogen

(I am seeing a lot of mention about antibiotics - this is about finding out if the bacteria mod was successful or not)

21. 'May cause disease' should have been circled (1 mark).

CAN'T THINK OF ANY OTHER QUESTIONS. IF YOU KNOW THEM, ANY OTHER ANSWERS OR THE MARKS PLEASE POST IT SO I CAN EDIT. ALL THE LOVE. X

These marks may not even be right and I cannot think of where the remaining two marks would come from. Any thing marked 1 mark would have deffo been no more than 2, any thing marked 2 marks would've been no more than 3 and anything marked 3 marks would've been at least 2. 6 markers are definite.

There was another 2 marker somewhere but I can't remember what it was, I think it was about two other lifestyle factors other than smoking that are bad for you and how these can affect your life or something, although I'm not entirely sure
Percentage increase is always the original divided by the difference then times by 100, that's why it was 2 marks, it would've been 1 otherwise I think, that's what my teacher said.
Original post by Jackkkk1234345
Percentage increase is always the original divided by the difference then times by 100, that's why it was 2 marks, it would've been 1 otherwise I think, that's what my teacher said.

But the thing is, they have given the percentages already. So calculating the increase would simply be subtracting them
All the questions I remember. I may have missed some bits so forgive me lol - THIS MAY NOT BE IN ORDER SORRY. ALSO THE MARKS ARE WHAT I THINK THEY WERE BUT IF YOU KNOW THEY ARE WRONG PLEASE SAY SO.

1. TWO LIFESTYLE RELATED QUESTIONS: How much do you exercise per week? AND Do you drink alcohol and/or smoke tobacco ? (1 mark)

2. TWO MEDICAL HISTORY RELATED QUESTIONS: Are you currently on any medication AND Do any members of your family have diseases e.g Type 2 diabetes. (1 mark)

3. 1.3 and 28 (2 marks?)

Three changes in blood flow: In the skin: vasodilation to lose heat, In the muscles, so she could move whilst exercising (there is another one but I forgot what it was lol) (3 marks?)

4. The heart works as a double pump so the blood is deoxgenated before it goes to the lungs to be oxygenated. So the blood flow to Sunita's lungs BEFORE exercise is 5.0 litres. (2 marks?)

5. NEIL'S BMI (6 marks) Two potential answers:

6. (I think this was group 1 and 2 about aortas).They minimum aorta diameter in group two was approx 4.6 (1 mark)

7. They did some people in Group 1 because their family members may have have had it and/or suffered complications from the aneurysm. (1 mark?)

8. Some people might go for the surgery anyway because the perceived risk is great than the actual risk. (3 marks?)

< 30 = People who were less than 30 when they stopped smoking. (2 mark)

Increase in the percentage risk = 5.5% or 5.6% depending on how you read it (2 marks?)

10. Two conclusions that I could draw: (2 marks)

11. Age when you started matters as the deterioration of a duration of time will be different. (General health may be accepted too) (2 marks?)

12. Why are some people for/against timber harvesting? (6 marks)

Against: Deforestation can lead to soil erosion which is bad for farmers, loss of habitats as well.

Prevents soil erosion
Promotes cloud formation

14. Somewhere there was a question about measuring progress in fitness or something and you had to tick the boxes "repeatibility of results" and "accuracy of monitoring equipment" (2 marks?)

pollination
clean water
air
food e.g fish and game

16. Ecosystems waste (you needed two) (2 marks?) Thank you Abbi :
Oxygen
Carbon dioxide
Minerals in nutrients
Dead Organic matter
Faeces

17.. Life Cycle Assessment:is a technique to assess environmental impacts associated with all the stages of a product's life from cradle to grave (3 marks?)

18.. Boxes to tick in terms of NO scientific approach (2 marks?):

19.. 5p charge(3 marks?):

20. INSULIN IN GM: POTENTIAL ANSWERS (6 marks):

21. 'May cause disease' should have been circled (1 mark).

These marks may not even be right and I cannot think of where the remaining two marks would come from. Any thing marked 1 mark would have deffo been no more than 2, any thing marked 2 marks would've been no more than 3 and anything marked 3 marks would've been at least 2. 6 markers are definite.

For the last 6 marker and how they test to see if the gene has been successfully transmitted surly the method of seeing which bacteria survive after being exposed to an antibiotic has no link to the bacterias ability in producing insulin 😂😂😂. There are many bacteria out there which are resistant to antibiotics and don't produce insulin. I'm pretty sure people are getting insulin confused with penicillin. As far as I'm aware the proper approach to the question is to use a gene probe on the modified bacteria cells which will indicate if the gene is present by the use of a florecent marker. This technique is in the spec so it would only make sense.
Original post by Unknown123321
For the last 6 marker and how they test to see if the gene has been successfully transmitted surly the method of seeing which bacteria survive after being exposed to an antibiotic has no link to the bacterias ability in producing insulin 😂😂😂. There are many bacteria out there which are resistant to antibiotics and don't produce insulin. I'm pretty sure people are getting insulin confused with penicillin. As far as I'm aware the proper approach to the question is to use a gene probe on the modified bacteria cells which will indicate if the gene is present by the use of a florecent marker. This technique is in the spec so it would only make sense.

Yep, the antibiotic idea is not even in the specification so the only feasable approach is using a gene probe.
Original post by Unknown123321

I see why you think this and to be completely honest I have no idea if that would be right or not.

The reason I understand why you say this is because it would help to see if there's a faulty gene, so if it's not producing insulin the it's still faulty.

However, the gene probe is used in genetic testing e.g. to see if a baby will have cystic fibrosis.

I have no idea though...
Just finished up on marks and added a question. It adds up to 60 marks but i'm not 100% sure this was the distribution

Quick Reply