The Student Room Group

Enough work experience?

Hi

I am hoping to apply for a PGCE course when UCAS opens in October. I have been volunteering one day a week in a local first school (still a three tier system here) since before Christmas, mainly working with reception children as they have such a large class compared to the rest of the school, but have worked in other years (years 1-4) briefly, also have helped out all classes on school trips etc. I have also helped out a couple of days in the local middle school. I have a couple of weeks lined up in a federation covering a first school and middle school (years R-7). I am worried that I won't have as much experience as those who may be applying having worked as a TA for a year or so, and it won't be looked on as favourably. I am about to go into third year of my undergrad and have three children of my own, so struggling to do extra. Anyone been in the same situation and managed to get accepted straight onto the PGCE?
I am hoping to get into Worcester and their requirements state "at least 5-10 days experience" but I'm certain that the more days the better?
Thanks in advance
It's not so much the length of your experience, but how well you reflect on it. Has it given you an insight into classroom issues/solutions, daily life of a teacher, etc?

Basically, do you feel you've done enough to be able to reflect on your experience while answer an interviewer's questions?

As long as you're using your time wisely, more classroom experience can only help you in the long run, but provider interviewers are looking at how well you can reflect, not necessarily how long you've spent in school.
The recommended minimum time to spend observing teaching in the classroom is 10 days. You have more experience than this. At interview I would stress that you have worked with a range of year groups which has enabled you to decide to work with a certain age group. i'e 3-5, 5-7, 7-11 etc.
Reply 3
Original post by Haylor
Hi

I am hoping to apply for a PGCE course when UCAS opens in October. I have been volunteering one day a week in a local first school (still a three tier system here) since before Christmas, mainly working with reception children as they have such a large class compared to the rest of the school, but have worked in other years (years 1-4) briefly, also have helped out all classes on school trips etc. I have also helped out a couple of days in the local middle school. I have a couple of weeks lined up in a federation covering a first school and middle school (years R-7). I am worried that I won't have as much experience as those who may be applying having worked as a TA for a year or so, and it won't be looked on as favourably. I am about to go into third year of my undergrad and have three children of my own, so struggling to do extra. Anyone been in the same situation and managed to get accepted straight onto the PGCE?
I am hoping to get into Worcester and their requirements state "at least 5-10 days experience" but I'm certain that the more days the better?
Thanks in advance

Original post by JaneBaratheon
It's not so much the length of your experience, but how well you reflect on it. Has it given you an insight into classroom issues/solutions, daily life of a teacher, etc?

Basically, do you feel you've done enough to be able to reflect on your experience while answer an interviewer's questions?

As long as you're using your time wisely, more classroom experience can only help you in the long run, but provider interviewers are looking at how well you can reflect, not necessarily how long you've spent in school.

Original post by Powersymphonia
The recommended minimum time to spend observing teaching in the classroom is 10 days. You have more experience than this. At interview I would stress that you have worked with a range of year groups which has enabled you to decide to work with a certain age group. i'e 3-5, 5-7, 7-11 etc.

Both of these.

I only had a couple of weeks in one school, and a slightly older week in another. They put the minimum at that because that is what the minimum is.

Of course, you will be up against people who have a lot of experience (mainly people who've worked as TAs) so some of them will have an advantage. But that doesn't automatically make them better able to reflect on and learn from their experience, so you definitely have a chance.

If you haven't already I'd definitely make some reflective notes on what you've seen. The focus should be on what you've learned about how children learn.
I would suggest a sustained period of time. As in 2 entire weeks, as opposed to 1 day a week. You will get a better feel for what goes on.
Reply 5
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply and thank you very much for your replies.
I have completed almost 2 full weeks in the first school setting i have already been volunteering in one day a week and have now two weeks lined up at the federation before going back to theforst school for the rest of the term. I have also been asked whethwr i can continue helping when schools return i September, which final year assessments depending i have agreed to. I am hoping that this is enough. I have been keeping a daily diary and have the support of all the teachers in my first school setting who have said they'll do everything to help me on my way. I also have three children of my own, one of which has additional learning requirements so have also had insight into different effective teaching methods. I hope all of these provides me with the required relection.
The problem now is that i want this so badly i am afraid of not getting on!
Reply 6
Sorry for the typos.....new phone, sausage fingers and no chance to figure out how to turn off the autocorrect function (which obviously isn't very good!!)
Reply 7
Original post by Haylor
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply and thank you very much for your replies.
I have completed almost 2 full weeks in the first school setting i have already been volunteering in one day a week and have now two weeks lined up at the federation before going back to theforst school for the rest of the term. I have also been asked whethwr i can continue helping when schools return i September, which final year assessments depending i have agreed to. I am hoping that this is enough. I have been keeping a daily diary and have the support of all the teachers in my first school setting who have said they'll do everything to help me on my way. I also have three children of my own, one of which has additional learning requirements so have also had insight into different effective teaching methods. I hope all of these provides me with the required relection.
The problem now is that i want this so badly i am afraid of not getting on!

That sounds very positive! If you get the chance, try to do a day or afternoon where you follow one pupil to get an insight into their day. Make sure you keep focussed on the big picture (how children learn, their development etc) not just on the practicalities (specific lesson plans etc). But they are also great to see. Make sure to look at assessment methods and if you can, grab some photocopies because by the time you're teaching your own class this will be a distant memory. Especially with reception it's great to have a bank of different examples of assessment, since there are different ways you can go and it will help you find what works for you.

Good luck, and try not to worry about not getting on. Hopefully you will but if not, many people take 2 or 3 applications to get on because they just aren't quite ready yet, then go on to make superb teachers. If this does happen, your experience would now stand you in good stead to get a TA job and there are lots of schools who'd be very supportive of you wanting to do that to become a teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have been accepted on to a school direct course for September and has a similar situation to you. I worked part time and my experience was made up of mornings, afternoons and full days when I could.
Like others have said it is more about what you get out of the time you spend there. I was based in reception but took every opportunity to take part in full school activities and help out in other classes in KS1.
At the end of the day I was told that it was my passion that came across as interview and secured me the place!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending