The Student Room Group

How much do you study ?

This may sound like a basic & a cliche question but how much do you study per day and what are your timings? What is healthy and how much is recommended?

Also, in order for an average student, generally , how many hours of effort should be put into studies if he/she is aiming for A*s
Original post by UndyingWill
This may sound like a basic & a cliche question but how much do you study per day and what are your timings? What is healthy and how much is recommended?

Also, in order for an average student, generally , how many hours of effort should be put into studies if he/she is aiming for A*s

People learn at different rates so for some people it might take longer than others.

I don't put much work in outside of school unless there's something I'm struggling with. When there is, I put in as much time as it does to understand the topic.

I try to use my time at school as best as I can, such as asking questions in lessons. It's surprising how few students are involved in lessons and I've found that by focusing in lessons, I can save time out of school.

As of 11:30am last Friday (when my last A2 exam finished) I DO NOT STUDY!!!!!!!! Feels so great to say that :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Ara8311a
I don't put much work in outside of school unless there's something I'm struggling with. When there is, I put in as much time as it does to understand the topic.

I try to use my time at school as best as I can, such as asking questions in lessons. It's surprising how few students are involved in lessons and I've found that by focusing in lessons, I can save time out of school.

Well done but it's better if you revise everything you learn at school. Asking real time questions is great and yes it's sad how a lot of the students aren't attentive and serious regarding their academics. They eventually learn the hard way and realize that after an year or two.
I'm in year 10 doing my gcse and i study 3hours a day, 3 times a week on average, what would you say about that?

Assuming this is outside of school hours:

I wouldn't call what I do "studying", it's more like "doing your homework whilst getting distracted" but, I usually do like 2hrs30mins per day from 3.30pm-6.00pm. It's usually maths since I find it the most convenient to study since you don't need to have like so many stuff on your table.

According to most people I know, they find that a 3 hour study period, outside of doing homework, is usually healthy and quite safe. However, I've been told to aim for 25-30 hours of study outside of school per week.

It depends, if you're talking about A-levels or GCSEs. Personally, and as an average student, for GCSEs, I think about 2-3 hours per day including homework is good enough except if you have something you struggle with. Maybe allocate an hour for each subject. If you're struggling with it, however, a 6 hour study session on that subject during a weekend can help with it a lot. For A-levels, 6 hours outside of school hours not including homework, allocating 2 hours for each subject.

This is just my personal opinion btw, some might have more and some might have less and still get the same grade. As one of the above posters said, people learn at diff. speed.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar 😞
Reply 7
Original post by Firenze26
Assuming this is outside of school hours:

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar 😞

Are you kidding me? Or are you just terrible at being modest. Anyhow, thank you for your insightful contribution to my thread! :biggrin:

Much appreciated!

there are some people with around the same predictions as me on here that revise for 10+ hours a day but i don't recommend that, not everyone can do it and i personally don't think it's too effective for the majority of people

i don't revise for a set amount each day, but i started my revision for my actual exams around February, but this was less than an hour a day and i was mostly getting resources together. proper revision started around Easter and on average i did three hours a day? i think the most i ever did was six

isn't really a set amount, if you understand a concept first time you'll need less revision on it, just start early ish and do a little every day

Original post by theBranicAc
I'm in year 10 doing my gcse and i study 3hours a day, 3 times a week on average, what would you say about that?

unless you've got mocks/are doing mocks it's unnecessary lol, it's good to consolidate your knowledge every so often but you'll burn out by the time it comes to real exams, focus on any controlled assessments you have
at the moment i'm doing like 8 or 9 hours or so, but it's only bc school is over n it's the last few exams. i only started revising though a couple of days before my exams started so they've all been cramming aha; it wouldn't be necessary to do for most people i know because they already have a general overview, but i procrastinated sm revision n ahh
Well done but it's better if you revise everything you learn at school. Asking real time questions is great and yes it's sad how a lot of the students aren't attentive and serious regarding their academics. They eventually learn the hard way and realize that after an year or two.

I know. I go to a good school and yet in geography I was the only one to ask questions and be active in class most of the time. It was quite funny to find that when we got closer to exams and suddenly everyone was involved a lot more in lessons.

Quick Reply

Latest