The Student Room Group

Lone Parent and Student Nurse...

I'm starting in September and am looking for any advice from people who've been there and done that.

I've sorted childcare for sociable weekday hours and have very supportive parents willing to help me out with my toddler as much as they're able, so that's as sorted as it can be. Trying to get a feel of how to strike the right balance really, without things becoming too much.

How many days per week/month/whatever did you set aside for uni stuff outside of placements and the classroom?

Did you find it a particular struggle to submit coursework in time around parenting?

Did you find that your holiday days while on placement were easy to organise?
Could these holidays be short notice?

How did you find the social side of things?

What did you do if your child became ill?

Did your child/children's illnesses ever cause an issue with either the uni or your placements?

Could you be contactable during placement?

Did you feel that the limitations you have as a lone parent (nursery pick up times, parenting when others might be studying, etc) put you at a disadvantage?

I find that as a single parent I have my own way of making sure everything gets done...how did you fit studying into that dynamic?

Any and all advice you can throw at me will be very welcome! Thank you.
Original post by Jolleigh

I'm not a parent myself but I know plenty of them on my course!
Many of them manage well with a good support network of family friends and understanding babysitters etc.
You don't get holidays or holiday days while on placement just to clarify. You have to do your placement hours in the time allocated unless sickness etc comes up. But these hours have to be made up in your holidays from university between academic time and placement time.

During placement you are not meant to have a mobile phone on you in most areas but you can explain to the manager etc about your situation. They may not want you to have your phone on you but rather pass on the number of your placement to those who are looking after your child etc.

Many people I know do work during uni time (9-5), then spend time with their children until bedtime and then do some work when the kids were in bed. There is no right or wrong way and no definitive answer, it's about finding what works for you and your child. You'll find your own routine once you start and have your uni timetable etc.

Most parents I know are very organised and usually have their assignments etc done before everyone else as they have those extra demands of a child etc too.

It can be a struggle, so make sure to let your lecturers or personal tutor know if you need any extra time or help etc. Nursing can be a difficult course and most lecturers are very understanding of the demands it places on people. However, it is important to remember that when you begin you are aware and that all work has to be done etc and having a child does not automatically grant you an extension etc. It's all about finding that balance and what works best for you and your child.
Best of luck with it all!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending