The Student Room Group

I feel so full of despair can somebody help?

So I've just been on a gap year and decided to retake my A Levels and have failed again. I've only taken 3 exams so far and have definitely failed (My papers are mostly blank) and now have 3 more with one starting tomorrow. Obviously I am a complete mess, I started revision mid March and I got overwhelmed due to the closeness of the exam period. I was working my part time job since term time and got caught up in it which really isn't an excuse I know, but I thought it would be ok for me to start revision in March. I have done well in some A Level units before and have got the A grade so I don't think I intellectually struggle although I am DEFINITELY slow and have to work a lot harder than most people to understand things. I really want to go to university but I am convinced I am probably too stupid because I allowed myself to fail again and didn't start revision early even though I knew that that is what always lets me down. Any advice? I genuinely feel like I have to be the biggest retard for messing myself up like this. And thank you for reading.
Hey Anon, I'm sure you've heard this before but - if there's a will, there's a way. Utilise the time you have left as much as possible. I literally didn't do **** all year (yes I'm resitting too, lel) and was in despair 3 weeks before exams.

Exams will stress you out, but the worst thing you can possibly do is stress even more, you'll waste your own time and you will not be as productive as you could be.

Start small - make sure you know the key ideas and key names & concepts that surround that. Then you can start to build on top of that - e.g what does so-and-so say about x. I wouldn't recommend pulling all-nighters to study, but sometimes it's necessary. You have an exam tomorrow, right? You better get cracking. Try your hardest not to stress out and focus on getting to know all the key areas. You may not be able to learn everything, but at least you'll be more prepared than you are right now.

Best of luck to you, Anon.
Failing an exam is not the end of the world. It just means you have to try and work a little harder next time. Try to not let it get you down. If you put the time into your school work it really pays off in grades. I hope you do better next time
Reply 3
Original post by CanadianReject
Hey Anon, I'm sure you've heard this before but - if there's a will, there's a way. Utilise the time you have left as much as possible. I literally didn't do **** all year (yes I'm resitting too, lel) and was in despair 3 weeks before exams.

Exams will stress you out, but the worst thing you can possibly do is stress even more, you'll waste your own time and you will not be as productive as you could be.

Start small - make sure you know the key ideas and key names & concepts that surround that. Then you can start to build on top of that - e.g what does so-and-so say about x. I wouldn't recommend pulling all-nighters to study, but sometimes it's necessary. You have an exam tomorrow, right? You better get cracking. Try your hardest not to stress out and focus on getting to know all the key areas. You may not be able to learn everything, but at least you'll be more prepared than you are right now.

Best of luck to you, Anon.

Hi dude thanks a lot for that I really wish you do well in your exams. I should probably mention I actually started revision in April I believe, just in case anyone is thinking I had enough time, which I probably did actually but used it wrongly. I'm sure I won't do well even if I try because I know myself, I can't learn the entire syllabus the night before like some people. I know, I'm ridiculous enough to let this happen. What's worrying me is that I'm a retake student and I've made the same bloody mistake again. I'm starting to think maybe education just isn't for me but it sucks because I've done really well in the past like with my gcses it's not like I've always been crap
If you're feeling despair, maybe try an apple.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi dude thanks a lot for that I really wish you do well in your exams. I should probably mention I actually started revision in April I believe, just in case anyone is thinking I had enough time, which I probably did actually but used it wrongly. I'm sure I won't do well even if I try because I know myself, I can't learn the entire syllabus the night before like some people. I know, I'm ridiculous enough to let this happen. What's worrying me is that I'm a retake student and I've made the same bloody mistake again. I'm starting to think maybe education just isn't for me but it sucks because I've done really well in the past like with my gcses it's not like I've always been crap

Hey dude, I can see your concern but you're wasting your own time. You may not be able to learn the whole syllabus, but you can still learn some of it. Work smart, not hard. Look at past papers and see what questions have come up before, what hasn't come up in a while/ what hasn't come up at all and make a start there. Tackle those and read through the rest, then hope for the best. It's on you now.

I hope you do well though. Clearing is also an option, remember that. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by emobambam
Failing an exam is not the end of the world. It just means you have to try and work a little harder next time. Try to not let it get you down. If you put the time into your school work it really pays off in grades. I hope you do better next time

Hey thank you for your kind words, I am determined not to make the same mistakes again, I'm just finding it really hard to accept that I've done this because I don't have an excuse for not preparing well :frown: I'm really mad at myself for repeating the same mistakes.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey thank you for your kind words, I am determined not to make the same mistakes again, I'm just finding it really hard to accept that I've done this because I don't have an excuse for not preparing well :frown: I'm really mad at myself for repeating the same mistakes.
I do know how it feels to repeat courses. I've had to repeat a class or two myself over the years too. It's not the greatest feeling. It's not the greatest feeling knowing that you let yourself down.lol I don't really want to admit this but I showed up to a final exam once and couldn't answer one question. I looked at the paper for maybe 10 minutes got up turned it in and left. Everyone in the class was like oh my gosh how did he finish so quickly. The teacher looked at my exam and ran out the door after me. He asked me why I didn't answer anything. I just told him some big long sad story and he said you know what, I'll give you an extra week,come back here next wednesday and re-take it. I think almost everyone on here has done poorly on at least one exam and knows how you feel. Just try to keep your chin up and do better next time. if that teacher is reading this thread and it hits him that was me, sorry for lying to you professor. I left a post 5 hours ago telling the TSR world that it was 110°F or 43°C where I lived and now it is almost 8:30 p.m. and it has cooled down to 108°F. there is an advert for coming to Southern California for vacation. Come and melt in our California Sun.

Quick Reply

Latest