The Student Room Group

EU head Juncker: "Deserters will not be welcomed"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Thutmose-III
Seriously? What a pig. This shows the pure arrogance of the euro elite. There's no room for us to say to the EU "Thanks for the last 30 years or so, we don't think this will work for us but we genuinely wish you well". They're coming across like an abusive spouse; "If you leave me, I will make your life hell".

The problem for Juncker and the EU elites is that they are between a rock and a hard place; ideally they want to make life very hard for us to punish us for leaving and as an example to the others. The problem with that is the UK will be the EU's largest export market, Based on the proportion of trade and export, massively pushing up tariffs against the UK would force German auto manufacturers to lay off tens of thousands of workers.

What do you think the average German auto worker who has just been laid off will think when the Commission says, "Yes we know you are losing your job, but it's for the greater good because allowing you to keep your job will undermine the 'European project'". If anything that will enrage Europe against them.

In any case, the Japanese and South Korean governments (who are extremely deft in managing their trade interests) will be happy to sign a free trade pact with us so Nissa, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia can fill the gap left by the German. If anything those manufacturers will be happy to give us a large discount in order to establish themselves and eat up some market share from the Germans.

It's because of crap like this from Juncker that caused me to switch to Leave about a month ago. We are a proud, fierce nation and we won't be pushed around by some third-rate failed Euro politician.

Sorry but what did you expect? Leave and still reap the benefits?

It's plain, basic logic. Nothing too hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blackmail anybody?
Original post by L i b
I said "barriers". Being removed from a single market, exiting a united labour market where there is free movement of workers, exiting a system of common regulation.

Not having free movement of workers is not a trade barrier. Can you please identify specifically how it will be harder to do business post-Brexit in terms of selling goods and services?

you're the only one of us who has even mentioned tariffs. You don't require tariffs to damage trade, nor are we looking at the specific concerns of one sector of the economy in one country: this is a far broader question.

That's all rather nebulous. You seem utterly incapable of actually identifying how trade will be impeded

I'm afraid I'm a bit beyond silly personal insults.

It's not an insult, it's a fact. It's so characteristic of the more provincial and parochial Europeans to sneer at Asian manufactured cars and to sneer at Asia in general, and overstate the importance of Europe. If I were travelling through the outback, the desert or the steppe I'd rather be in a Land Cruiser than any other type of vehicle. People from the Middle East and Central Asia tend to look at it that way too
Original post by *Stefan*
Sorry but what did you expect? Leave and still reap the benefits?

I expect Europe to behave in an adult and logical fashion. Juncker's spiteful threats simply demonstrate how this is, for the Euro elite, an emotional issue. They are incapable of conceiving that someone might prefer not to continue as part of the union and are incapable of genuinely wishing such a country well. He comes across more like an abusive spouse than a head of government

Though of course it doesn't matter in the end. Britain will get a trade deal because Europe is still economically weak and can't afford to put hundreds of thousands of jobs at risk just to spite the British and deter others from leaving.
Original post by ODES_PDES
This guy is usually drunk:biggrin:

There's no need to get emotional or project.
(edited 7 years ago)
I expect Europe to behave in an adult and logical fashion. Juncker's spiteful threats simply demonstrate how this is, for the Euro elite, an emotional issue. They are incapable of conceiving that someone might prefer not to continue as part of the union and are incapable of genuinely wishing such a country well. He comes across more like an abusive spouse than a head of government

Though of course it doesn't matter in the end. Britain will get a trade deal because Europe is still economically weak and can't afford to put hundreds of thousands of jobs at risk just to spite the British and deter others from leaving.

PRSOM
Original post by AnnieGakusei
PRSOM

Haha I PRSOM your PRSOM :wink:
Seriously? What a pig. This shows the pure arrogance of the euro elite. There's no room for us to say to the EU "Thanks for the last 30 years or so, we don't think this will work for us but we genuinely wish you well". They're coming across like an abusive spouse; "If you leave me, I will make your life hell".

The problem for Juncker and the EU elites is that they are between a rock and a hard place; ideally they want to make life very hard for us to punish us for leaving and as an example to the others. The problem with that is the UK will be the EU's largest export market, Based on the proportion of trade and export, massively pushing up tariffs against the UK would force German auto manufacturers to lay off tens of thousands of workers.

What do you think the average German auto worker who has just been laid off will think when the Commission says, "Yes we know you are losing your job, but it's for the greater good because allowing you to keep your job will undermine the 'European project'". If anything that will enrage Europe against them.

In any case, the Japanese and South Korean governments (who are extremely deft in managing their trade interests) will be happy to sign a free trade pact with us so Nissa, Toyota, Hyundai and Kia can fill the gap left by the German. If anything those manufacturers will be happy to give us a large discount in order to establish themselves and eat up some market share from the Germans.

It's because of crap like this from Juncker that caused me to switch to Leave about a month ago. We are a proud, fierce nation and we won't be pushed around by some third-rate failed Euro politician.

If you want to put it in terms of romantic relationships the expectation that the UK will get the benefits of being in the EU with no perceived negatives is like dumping your partner because being in a relationship is 'too much trouble' and then expecting that they're still gonna have sex with you. It's not gonna happen. You dumped them. It's over.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SmallTownGirl
If you want to put it in terms of romantic relationships the expectation that the UK will get the benefits of being in the EU with no perceived negatives is like dumping your partner because being in a relationship is 'too much trouble' and then expecting that they're still gonna have sex with you. It's not gonna happen. You dumped them. It's over.

Why can't we become friends with benefits with the EU?
Original post by Zargabaath
Why can't we become friends with benefits with the EU?

Because they've already said they only want sex in a relationship.
Reply 30

Are you being serious? The Leave campaign has compared EU politicians to Hitler, they have said EU is the worst thing that has happened to the UK ever, and it's going to lead the country to a universal explosion. Before criticising the objectively logical remarks made here, perhaps you should pay some attention to what happens in the country.

If Britain gets a trade deal, expect the same amount of laws which will need to be respected, and the same amount of immigrants. The only difference is that you won't have any meaningful votes.

In itself, however, this seems unlikely.
Reply 31
Not having free movement of workers is not a trade barrier.

Yes it is. Indeed, having disparate systems of regulation is a trade barrier, or disparate taxation systems, or a different currency for that matter. There is a very close correlation, entirely unsurprisingly, between trade and political and economic integration.

We accept a number of these trade barriers because there are competing interests. However as I've said, I did not want further ones put up between us and the EU.

It's not an insult, it's a fact. It's so characteristic of the more provincial and parochial Europeans to sneer at Asian manufactured cars and to sneer at Asia in general, and overstate the importance of Europe. If I were travelling through the outback, the desert or the steppe I'd rather be in a Land Cruiser than any other type of vehicle. People from the Middle East and Central Asia tend to look at it that way too

This isn't Top Gear and frankly I don't think this particular line of nonsense has done you any credit at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending