The Student Room Group

Are there any 1st year lawyers here?

I've got an offer to study law but I have a few questions. I was wondering if anyone here could help
Reply 1
Hi, just finished my first year, anything I can help with?
How did you find it? Is it dehumanizing to constantly judge everything from legal points of view?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by KazuoTakeda
How did you find it? Is it dehumanizing to constantly judge everything from legal points of view?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can honestly say I really enjoyed it, have a balanced life so try and make work a part of the daily routine but not ALL my day (few hours daily does me). If the tutors give you an offer, they evidently saw enough to see that you'll do well/enjoy it, because they have to consider they'll have to have you in small groups with discussions!
Tbh, I would argue most subjects don't feel dehumanizing, because you're not involved in the cases themselves directly? Arguably the most 'human' first year topic is criminal law and I would say you can still appreciate the human element when you read judgements. You have to maintain a human perspective anyway, as an essay could arguably ask if it is 'right' for the law to be a certain way -which can be argued from a number of perspectives
Original post by B.A.L
Can honestly say I really enjoyed it, have a balanced life so try and make work a part of the daily routine but not ALL my day (few hours daily does me). If the tutors give you an offer, they evidently saw enough to see that you'll do well/enjoy it, because they have to consider they'll have to have you in small groups with discussions!
Tbh, I would argue most subjects don't feel dehumanizing, because you're not involved in the cases themselves directly? Arguably the most 'human' first year topic is criminal law and I would say you can still appreciate the human element when you read judgements. You have to maintain a human perspective anyway, as an essay could arguably ask if it is 'right' for the law to be a certain way -which can be argued from a number of perspectives

I'm not OP, but I was wondering, in your application, how did you make it clear to the college that you had a legitimate interest in the subject, despite (probably) not doing it for A Level or GCSE? I feel like I could enjoy and excel in the course if I got onto it, but I don't feel, at this point, passionate about it.
Reply 5
You're right, didn't do the subject pre-uni, but that doesn't mean you can't show interest. Personally, I got involved with a scheme called HE+ run by Cambridge in my area to learn a bit every now and then outside of school and I applied to the Sutton trust for their schemes before being reallocated to Experience Cambridge. It's also about how you write your PS, I opened with a quick acceptance that the portrayal of law in practice in the media is different to that of real life academia but that both could still be engaging. I also did a bit of extra research: watched a lecture series from Harvard on jurisprudence which was actually pretty engaging despite the lack of prior knowledge. It's all about showing that you have actually thought about it and that you would be a great person to have as a student. Recommend coming to an open day and talking to the ambassadors at the faculty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending