The Student Room Group

Phone went off during an exam. :((

I had my exam today and my phone was on silent but my alarm went off (has its own volume), i completely forgot that i had my alarm turned on. I was called up the the office and she told me she's going to report me to the exam board and if they think it's a big offence and it distracted students i'm gonna get in trouble. The exam was 9 to 11 and my phone went off at 10.30. I'm kinda getting worried that i'm gonna fail because of a silly dumb mistake. Also i arrived like 5 minutes late and had to fill out a forum. panicking right now :frown:(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Great debate mate.
omfg
ur not even supposed to take ur phones into the exam hall ... how tf did ur school let this happen?
The school's retarded for keeping phones in the same room as the exams.
Reply 4
Someones phone went off in an exam I was in recently, and he got disqualified from that single exam and will have to retake the exam next year. Phones aren't allowed in exams, I'm sure the invigilators must have told you this :\
Original post by champ_mc99
The school's retarded for keeping phones in the same room as the exams.

@Anno007

Perhaps th school didnt know anything about the phone? The OP is repsonsible for the phone, whether its on their person or brought into the examination room.

OP the JCQ guidelines indicate it depends on whether the phone was on your person or it was elsehere in the exam room i.e on a pile of bags.
If it was awat from you, then you are more likely to get a wwarning for breaching exam conditions.
If it was at your desk, on your person etc, then the penalties are more sever as it has potential for cheating. You can then get docked marks.

You dont give enough detail, but it looks like a warning based on what you did give, as they seem to be emphasising the disruption aspect rather than any cheating.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Told us to turn our phones off and put it in our bag which was in the same room where the exam took place.
Original post by silestia
Told us to turn our phones off and put it in our bag which was in the same room where the exam took place.

A warning then. Its your own fault.
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
@Anno007

Perhaps th school didnt know anything about the phone? The OP is repsonsible for the phone, whether its on their person or brought into the examination room.

OP the JCQ guidelines indicate it depends on whether the phone was on your person or it was elsehere in the exam room i.e on a pile of bags.
If it was awat from you, then you are more likely to get a wwarning for breaching exam conditions.
If it was at your desk, on your person etc, then the penalties are more sever as it has potential for cheating. You can then get docked marks.

You dont give enough detail, but it looks like a warning based on what you did give, as they seem to be emphasising the disruption aspect rather than any cheating.

The phone was in my bag across the room from where i was. They said they're gonna give me a call if they're going to do something and if they're not doing anything i will not be contacted. They also asked if it was multiple alarms or one and it was just one alarm for 10.30. I went to the office after the exam was done.
Reply 9
I feel so bad for you :frown: I now leave my phone in my cars dash so that I don't need to take it in with me, I'm too paranoid about it happening. Although, I swear the invigilators at my college don't give one lol. Like they'll give you time to finish sentences and stuff lol
The phone was in my bag across the room from where i was. They said they're gonna give me a call if they're going to do something and if they're not doing anything i will not be contacted. They also asked if it was multiple alarms or one and it was just one alarm for 10.30. I went to the office after the exam was done.

They are meant to report you, but my point is the worst they cna do is a warning for that infringement i.e you wont lose any marks. Dont worry. Just take the battery out next time or give it to the ibigilator or leave it at home.
Don't feel too bad about it, it was just a mistake! Sounds like the sort of thing that would happen to me :tongue: exams are stressful, its not surprising if you forget to turn an alarm off on your phone! You'll just have to hope they're not too harsh on you and even if you were disqualified its not the end of the world, you can always retake :smile:
Reply 12
Why even have your phone on silent though? It's not like you're going to use it during the exam and it's hardly that awful to wait a minute or so for it to turn on after the exam.
I'm confused. Did you have the phone on your person in the exam, or did you hand it in somewhere before the exam began?

Thats what most schools do. Why didn't you turn it off instead? I doubt anything will happen tbh as it was in your bag. But still kind of your fault as you knew it was on anyway.
ye, if they warned you.. you will be lucky if they just let you go :frown:
I had my exam today and my phone was on silent but my alarm went off (has its own volume), i completely forgot that i had my alarm turned on. I was called up the the office and she told me she's going to report me to the exam board and if they think it's a big offence and it distracted students i'm gonna get in trouble. The exam was 9 to 11 and my phone went off at 10.30. I'm kinda getting worried that i'm gonna fail because of a silly dumb mistake. Also i arrived like 5 minutes late and had to fill out a forum. panicking right now :frown:(

I think they take it more seriously if it's in your pocket than say in your bag in a designated area. It's just a distraction in your bag as opposed to a possible way to cheat.
If you actually had the phone on you that would be a different story...but because it was in your bag across the room you'll probably be fine. You might get a warning from the exam board, but you definitely wouldn't get disqualified or lose marks
You should concentrate on your projects and assignments to make your self innocent in front of the teacher, so that he/she might not think that you could cheat in exam while your class participation is good. If you cannot do your assignments well by yourself, you can take help from academic experts and contact me.
Left my phone in my pocket during my GCSE exams a few years back. Alarm repeatedly went off, despite me panicking to turn it off without being noticed. Exam invigilators went nuts trying to locate the source of the sound, but eventually pinpointed it to my direction. Was told angrily to hand the phone over, so I did. Luckily, the exam invigilator knew how much of a nerd and goody-goody I was, so let me off lightly with an "I expect better from you, don't let this happen again". Scary experience nonetheless.

Quick Reply

Latest