The Student Room Group

OCR MEI Numerical Methods 2016

As it seems like no one has created one yet, I believe, I thought to create one for all the students doing the Numerical Methods course of OCR MEI.

A playlist which helped me with revising this course: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrBrownsMaths/playlists

All the OCR MEI past papers for NM: http://www.mei.org.uk/alevelpapers#NM

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cheers, seems there's hardly anyone at all taking this exam :/
Thanks!

Is anyone vaguely prepared? I don't know anything:s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by Vicky628
Thanks!

Is anyone vaguely prepared? I don't know anything:s-smilie:

I'm doing past papers and I keep finding out that I'm doing things wrong, keep needing to change my methods which isn't very helpful in making me feel confident :/
Original post by NickC98
I'm doing past papers and I keep finding out that I'm doing things wrong, keep needing to change my methods which isn't very helpful in making me feel confident :/

I started ... Umm... About an hour ago, and I just don't get it! And the advice I've been given is to hope the other exams compensate for it:biggrin:

I'll do past papers tomorrow, but I suppose the best way would be to stick to the formulae?
Reply 5
I started ... Umm... About an hour ago, and I just don't get it! And the advice I've been given is to hope the other exams compensate for it:biggrin:

I'll do past papers tomorrow, but I suppose the best way would be to stick to the formulae?

The best advice I can give really is to use the textbooks and do lots of past papers really, and use the NM video links here: http://furthermaths.org.uk/mei-revision

And yeah, definitely get familiar with all of the formulas we need to know, not just what they are but also how to use them, that's vital.
Original post by NickC98
The best advice I can give really is to use the textbooks and do lots of past papers really, and use the NM video links here: http://furthermaths.org.uk/mei-revision

And yeah, definitely get familiar with all of the formulas we need to know, not just what they are but also how to use them, that's vital.

ill do what I can, but I'm not the most motivated soul when it comes to NM...

It's linking them that I find hard, I know the formulae but when it asks to work it out via x method, idk what it's on about...
Reply 7
ill do what I can, but I'm not the most motivated soul when it comes to NM...

It's linking them that I find hard, I know the formulae but when it asks to work it out via x method, idk what it's on about...

It's my last exam so that's what's keeping me motivated, that and this exam could be the difference between an A and a B in further maths...

Well that's why I'd say to do questions from past papers, do what you can and then look at the mark scheme to find out how they're done
Original post by NickC98
It's my last exam so that's what's keeping me motivated, that and this exam could be the difference between an A and a B in further maths...

Well that's why I'd say to do questions from past papers, do what you can and then look at the mark scheme to find out how they're done

Same! But it's still two weeks later than most people's last exam... I'm pretty confident about the first two, so if this goes poorly I'll just show a ums breakdown and be like "lol give me an offer I can't do NM"

Thanks! I wish you all the best :biggrin: but that's half the battle, knowing how to set it out!
Anyone got any ideas as to what could come up on the paper tomorrow?? Feeling very nervous!
Glad I took the initiative to dedicate a ton of time to this module. I feel like getting 90 and 70 in NM and FP2 respectively will be way easier than getting 80 in both, or even just to take the pressure off of needing to get 80 in FP2 considering how high the grade boundaries seem to have become now

For context, our school makes us take S2 in our AS year, and NM in our A2 year rather than the standard, opposite way of doing it
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MintyMilk
Glad I took the initiative to dedicate a ton of time to this module. I feel like getting 90 and 70 in NM and FP2 respectively will be way easier than getting 80 in both, or even just to take the pressure off of needing to get 80 in FP2 considering how high the grade boundaries seem to have become now

For context, our school makes us take S2 in our AS year, and NM in our A2 year rather than the standard, opposite way of doing it

Wow, that's a weird school. I'm hoping, next year, they drop S1 and go for M1, hopefully.
Original post by slamtheworld
Anyone got any ideas as to what could come up on the paper tomorrow?? Feeling very nervous!

-Newton-Raphson method
-Trapezium, Midpoint, Simpson's Rule
-Approximations
-Method of False Position

They always come up
Original post by asmuse123
-Newton-Raphson method
-Trapezium, Midpoint, Simpson's Rule
-Approximations
-Method of False Position

They always come up

Okay, cheers
Okay, cheers

Also, I found that if you get the questions on those topics all correct, you can get a B/C without doing any of the other questions.
Also, I found that if you get the questions on those topics all correct, you can get a B/C without doing any of the other questions.

Fair enough, I'm decent at most of the methods I'm just a bit bad at all the worded questions/ explanations. Hopefully I'll get a C or B in this so my overall further grade isn't too bad
Fair enough, I'm decent at most of the methods I'm just a bit bad at all the worded questions/ explanations. Hopefully I'll get a C or B in this so my overall further grade isn't too bad

Yeah, I'm the same. Good luck at the exam!:biggrin:
Yeah, I'm the same. Good luck at the exam!:biggrin:

You too :h:
Reply 18
So what did everyone think? I thought it was easier than most other past papers yet everyone I ask seems to have struggled so I feel like I've missed something?...
Original post by NickC98
So what did everyone think? I thought it was easier than most other past papers yet everyone I ask seems to have struggled so I feel like I've missed something?...

I would have said it was harder than past papers, but I don't think I dropped a great deal of marks. The problem for me was not knowing the rates of convergence (i.e. for Simpson's rule)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending