The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Are these grades good enough for Manchester theoretical physics? Help please

Hello I'm about to finish my AS levels and I personally think I have under performed I was on track for 4 As in maths, FM, physics and chemistry. However I think I got ABBB with the A in maths. So I was wondering would I still be in with a chance of getting in with these results? Just to let you know I'm dropping chemistry and the physics grade this year doesn't go towards my actual A level since I'm doing the new AQA spec. Can I have some advice please
They require A*A*A, although its not a popular course and when I applied appears in UCAS Extra.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by physicsphysics91
They require A*A*A, although its not a popular course and when I applied appears in UCAS Extra.
Define "not popular", it's the most competitive course at the uni.
Original post by Terry Tibbs

I got in with CCC lol

Spoiler

You just gave that guy burn scars for life.
Original post by RezzBerry

Spoiler

You just gave that guy burn scars for life.

I got 2:1 too, he should sort his life out
I got in with CCC lol
Lmao, I'm sure you did bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lmao, I'm sure you did bro.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Want proof?
Want proof?

Be our guest.

Original post by Popsiclez
Be our guest.

Don't have a-level certificates at uni but http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2055250
Original post by BigChicken
Hello I'm about to finish my AS levels and I personally think I have under performed I was on track for 4 As in maths, FM, physics and chemistry. However I think I got ABBB with the A in maths. So I was wondering would I still be in with a chance of getting in with these results? Just to let you know I'm dropping chemistry and the physics grade this year doesn't go towards my actual A level since I'm doing the new AQA spec. Can I have some advice please

Those grades at AS should be absolutely fine. You will need to work your socks off to get them up towards the A*A*A offer. Manchester for Physics is popular- about 4 applicant per place which is a lot when you consider the year groups are about 270. However, about 50% of the applications they receive are from people who are nowhere near the grades. Hence anyone with a chance of striking those grades is given an offer to make sure they fill their course. Getting an offer will not be the difficult bit for you. I got an offer with ABB at A2, retaking Physics and Maths alongside Further Maths from scratch, granted I had extenuating circumstances but was made an offer/ given an interview (and eveyone with an interview had an offer) 5 days before my school sent off any information as to why I was retaking.

The person saying they got in with CCC. Well since the two professors a tManchester won the noble prize and the growingly irritating influence Brian Cox, the demand for Manchester has sky rocketed hence the high offers - so you really will need to be getting A*AA minimum.

This said all statistics given here are from my discussions with the admissions tutor on applicant day and to the best of my knowledge this year and Next year the School of Physics and Astronomy is having a major refurbishment and extension to take an extra 50 students per year group from September 2017. Main aim of this according to head of school was to try a meet demand and bring down the offers for students entering in 2017 to more reasonable levels where they reflect the academic ability required to complete the course not demand- so you maybe lucky.

just apply. you will get an offer with those grades. the hard bit is meeting that offer.
Original post by Midgeymoo17
Those grades at AS should be absolutely fine. You will need to work your socks off to get them up towards the A*A*A offer. Manchester for Physics is popular- about 4 applicant per place which is a lot when you consider the year groups are about 270. However, about 50% of the applications they receive are from people who are nowhere near the grades. Hence anyone with a chance of striking those grades is given an offer to make sure they fill their course. Getting an offer will not be the difficult bit for you. I got an offer with ABB at A2, retaking Physics and Maths alongside Further Maths from scratch, granted I had extenuating circumstances but was made an offer/ given an interview (and eveyone with an interview had an offer) 5 days before my school sent off any information as to why I was retaking.

The person saying they got in with CCC. Well since the two professors a tManchester won the noble prize and the growingly irritating influence Brian Cox, the demand for Manchester has sky rocketed hence the high offers - so you really will need to be getting A*AA minimum.

This said all statistics given here are from my discussions with the admissions tutor on applicant day and to the best of my knowledge this year and Next year the School of Physics and Astronomy is having a major refurbishment and extension to take an extra 50 students per year group from September 2017. Main aim of this according to head of school was to try a meet demand and bring down the offers for students entering in 2017 to more reasonable levels where they reflect the academic ability required to complete the course not demand- so you maybe lucky.

just apply. you will get an offer with those grades. the hard bit is meeting that offer.

Thank you for taking time to write this, you have really boosted my confidence and given me motivation :smile: I've still got one exam left which is tomorrow so if I ace that I should be able to get to AABB. My dream is to study physics at Manchester! Good luck with your study as well and once again thanks for the reply means a lot.
Thank you for taking time to write this, you have really boosted my confidence and given me motivation :smile: I've still got one exam left which is tomorrow so if I ace that I should be able to get to AABB. My dream is to study physics at Manchester! Good luck with your study as well and once again thanks for the reply means a lot.

Was you last one D2 by any chance? And your welcome for the response.
Original post by Midgeymoo17
Was you last one D2 by any chance? And your welcome for the response.

Yeah it was ahahaha. I hate the decision modules, I'm still not used to answering questions like that even though I've done both d1 and d2 this year. However I thought it went alright haven't looked at any answers or anything so please don't say any 'spoilers' :smile: did you sit it as well?
Yeah it was ahahaha. I hate the decision modules, I'm still not used to answering questions like that even though I've done both d1 and d2 this year. However I thought it went alright haven't looked at any answers or anything so please don't say any 'spoilers' :smile: did you sit it as well?

yes I sat edexcel D2 this morning. I know what you mean about decision, lol it was the longest exam of my life at 2hs 15.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending