The Student Room Group

What if my son doesn't get the 280 points expected to get on the course?

What if my son doesnt get enough ucas points on the day?
If he doesn't meet his offer and many other candidates do sadly it is likely he would be rejected from his chosen course and then have to either enter clearing or wait a year. However if many other people are in a similar position depending on the demand for the course it is possible they may allow a lower points offer.
Reply 2
Original post by Pensivekat

Most universities accept students who fractionally miss their offer. If not, there's his Insurance, and then Clearing.

Fingers crossed for Results Day....

Posted from TSR Mobile

it's not the end of the world and there are a few things that might happen.

1/He'll get in anyway this does happen particularly in courses that don't have many applicants like applied basket weaving.

2/ He'll get his insurance as long as he did the right thing and insured some where he liked then he'll go there he might be a little disappointed but once he's there he'll be fine He may also phone and ask to be released into clearing but be aware some unis take days even up to a week to release people.

3/ If he is rejected by both his offers he'll enter clearing where he can get at place art another uni by phoning them up and begging so if he wanted to go to Southampton but got rejected he could try Solent for instance

4/ he may also be offered a place on a similar course like if he applied for computer science but didn't make it he may be offered a place on computer game programming or something at that review he also may be offered entrance on to the course with a foundation year or offered a foundation degree with the option to top up to the full degree after completion.

Hope that helped
(edited 7 years ago)

Hi Pensivekat

Hope you're well! :smile:

A lot of students worry about not getting enough UCAS points to enter their first choice, so this is a common concern. However, as others have rightly mentioned, there is the option for him to to either go to his insurance choice or enter clearing (several universities will often drop their entry requirements in clearing). Another option might be for him to consider a foundation course (which usually have lower entry requirements) that he can follow up with a full degree programme. This will obviously depend on whether the option is available.

If he's particular about going to a particular university or studying a course that may not be available through clearing, he could retake some of his modules to earn him more UCAS points. It would mean that he'd have to defer going to university for another year, but there may be benefits such as him finding a job in an industry that he's interested in to gain experience he'll be able to use apply to his studies and future career.

I hope this helps! If you need any more information about your sons options, just let me know!

Best wishes

Natalie :smile:
This year unis will be a lot more lenient due to the fact that lass year the unlimited student ABB+ cap was lifted. This has the practical effect of unis that are traditionally seen as stronger, I.e russel groups, lowered their offers to BBB and less, and so if your son needs to get in it is likely that the uni would take BCC-CCC. This is probably even more likely if it's not a traditionally "academic" degree such as law, medicine etc
Reply 6
Original post by neal95
This year unis will be a lot more lenient due to the fact that lass year the unlimited student ABB+ cap was lifted. This has the practical effect of unis that are traditionally seen as stronger, I.e russel groups, lowered their offers to BBB and less, and so if your son needs to get in it is likely that the uni would take BCC-CCC. This is probably even more likely if it's not a traditionally "academic" degree such as law, medicine etc

Do you think so? Fingers crossed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending